Snuff

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:38 am

I'll get there . Should finish on the bus home :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9334
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Postby Australis » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I haven't read the whole thread, way, way too long by now.

Good book, really good book. Had a real flow.

But did anyone notice... there's a character missing? One we normally see, yet curiously absent this time around? There was a couple of places he could have popped up.
I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of Heaven - Sir Pterry
Australis
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 am

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:49 pm

HE'S BEEN MISSING BEFORE YOU KNOW. :wink:

He wasn't in Wee Free Men and he only appeared as a figment of Sam Vimes's imagination in Thud!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28627
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby meerkat » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Perhaps he asked for no publicity! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13414
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Postby pip » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Maybe hes dea.... oh wait
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9334
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Postby raisindot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:33 pm

AVAST, YE SPOILERS AHEAD! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!









Tonyblack wrote:HE'S BEEN MISSING BEFORE YOU KNOW. :wink:

He wasn't in Wee Free Men and he only appeared as a figment of Sam Vimes's imagination in Thud!


He wasn't a figment of Vimes' imagination in Thud. He was real. Vimes was having the same kind of "near'" experience in Thud as he did in TFE.

But he didn't appear in UA, either, did he? I suppose that's because no one entered a state where his assistance was required. Did he appear in the other Tiffany books? I can't remember. Given that there was only one actual event that occurred in 'real time' in Snuff, there was probably not much of an opportunity for him to appear, since that character was never fully developed enough to warrant his appearance.

One wonders whether Pterry's own situation and his growing awareness of his own mortality have made him uncomfortable using him, the same way he didn't feature the Bursar from UA because jokes about mental illness may no longer have seemed appropriate.

raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3108
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

Postby RJH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:34 pm

To be honest I did not miss him.................
RJH
 

Postby pip » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Blasphemy :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9334
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:37 pm

Death did appear in UA. When we learn the orc they orc is nigh-immortal/possess super-special-healing powers that can bring him back from dead.
LilMaibe
 

Postby RJH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:38 pm

pip wrote:Blasphemy :lol:


I expect him to be stalking me anyday now......... :lol:
RJH
 

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 pm

raisindot wrote:AVAST, YE SPOILERS AHEAD! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!









Tonyblack wrote:HE'S BEEN MISSING BEFORE YOU KNOW. :wink:

He wasn't in Wee Free Men and he only appeared as a figment of Sam Vimes's imagination in Thud!


He wasn't a figment of Vimes' imagination in Thud. He was real. Vimes was having the same kind of "near'" experience in Thud as he did in TFE.

But he didn't appear in UA, either, did he? I suppose that's because no one entered a state where his assistance was required. Did he appear in the other Tiffany books? I can't remember. Given that there was only one actual event that occurred in 'real time' in Snuff, there was probably not much of an opportunity for him to appear, since that character was never fully developed enough to warrant his appearance.

One wonders whether Pterry's own situation and his growing awareness of his own mortality have made him uncomfortable using him, the same way he didn't feature the Bursar from UA because jokes about mental illness may no longer have seemed appropriate.

He, Death played a very major role in Hat Full of Sky and probably in Wintersmith too. I say probably because I'm not totally sure it was him rowing the boat to the Underworld.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28627
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Addams » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:13 pm

What a boring book.

That's not at all a watch book, don't be fooled, once again it's only a Vimes book.

Boring.

Sad to see a great man like Pratchett falling that hard.
User avatar
Addams
New member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:10 am

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Addams wrote:What a boring book.

That's not at all a watch book, don't be fooled, once again it's only a Vimes book.

Boring.

Sad to see a great man like Pratchett falling that hard.
Your opinion Addams. Many people here liked it - I certainly did. You might think it's sad to see Terry "falling that hard" but I'm impressed that he's still turning out such top rate writing after all these books.

And who said it was a Watch book? :roll:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28627
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby RJH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Addams wrote:What a boring book.

That's not at all a watch book, don't be fooled, once again it's only a Vimes book.

Boring.

Sad to see a great man like Pratchett falling that hard.


Really number one on the best sellars list for 2nd week running says otherwise and while it isn't his best book, it is still better than anything anyone else could turn out. :roll:
RJH
 

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:03 pm

Twilight sold well too.
And for our german reasons an addition:
'Feuchtgebiete' sold incredible well too, too

(Why yes, I just compared a Discworldnovel to Twilight. AGAIN)
LilMaibe
 

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests