Angua and Carrot

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Is that a genius , billionaire , playboy philanthropist :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby DaveC » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:09 pm

pip wrote:Is that a genius , billionaire , playboy philanthropist :lol:

Are you suggesting one of our number is Golden Gladiator, 'ole shellhead, IRON MAN?

Or just Robert Downey Jr? ;)

Already quoting a trailer, :) Did you hear about Joss Whedon's new film he made in 12 days, black and white adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing with a very familiar cast?

[url]aintitcool.com/node/51720[/url]
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby pip » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Sweet :lol:

Knew you'd get the quote at least but its such a good line :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby stripy_tie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:28 pm

poohcarrot wrote:shegallivants :P

You ain't gonna win trying to pursuade this lot that Carrot's a great character - most people don't like him. :roll:

The only people who do like him are me and Capt Creation. So that says it all. :lol:

People don't like Carrot? i've always enjoyed his character, i wouldn't say he's my favorite but i definitely would have liked a bit more of him in "Snuff"
It's all about the sun master, white snow and red blood and the sun. Always has been.
stripy_tie

Postby Addams » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:14 pm

most people don't like him

Most people ?

Like you, you and you i suppose ?
Addams

Postby Maura:-D » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:31 pm

pip wrote:Is that a genius , billionaire , playboy philanthropist :lol:

What? :?: :?:
"Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."
"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short."
Maura:-D

Postby cabbagehead » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 am

Carrot pretty much completed his development as a character in The Fifth Elephant, when he shows Angua how well he understands and accepts her werewolf aspect. (Which is one answer to what she likes about him - how many other humans would want a woman who was a werewolf and whose previous er-friend was a wolf named Gavin?) It seems to me Pratchett lost interest in him. From there on Carrot's role is to keep the Watch under control when Vimes has to leave town and to serve as the more photogenic representative of the Watch (eg Thud!) and the one all female Watch members crush on.
cabbagehead

Postby raisindot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Agreed. Pterry appears to make a very conscious decision in TFE to redefine Carrot's character away from the near-perfect would-be king of previous books to a flawed character whose historical adherence to the principle of "Personal is not the same as important" goes out the wayside. And, for the first time in a Watch book, Carrot's actions are almost completely incidental and contribute little or nothing to the resolution of the main story and in fact complicates things in some ways. In the books that follow, Carrot's role significantly diminishes.
raisindot

Postby Fortune Clutterbuck » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:39 pm

Carrot certainly is one of the more opaque characters in Discworld - I can never decide how knowing he is supposed to be
Fortune Clutterbuck

Previous

Return to Discworld novels