New Words

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

New Words

Postby DaveC » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:13 pm

I love discovering new words though reading books, from reading Snuff I have learnt the word 'escutcheon'. :)

Anyone else glad when they fine a word they have to look up to find the meaning or is it frustating?

PS. I hope this is the right section to post, wasn't sure where it fitted.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tiffany » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:38 pm

I like the word vortex. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Funnily enough, I came across the word, escutcheon when I was reading the book this morning - but I knew what it meant. :D

But I agree, Terry is great at introducing us to words. I don't think I'd ever heard of the words 'gibbous' and 'susurration' until I read Discworld - now I seem to hear them fairly often.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:23 pm

I'd heard gibbous before but not sussuration. There was one other I've had to look up in Snuff so far (I'm on p168) but I don't remember what it was. Oh yes I remember now, it was peripatetically. :)

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby chris.ph » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:57 pm

sussurus is an onumatopia :) but i cant spell it as it sounds different to how you spell it :wink:

you would have a job not damaging the paint work opening doors without an escutcheon :lol:

one of my favourite bits of readers digest was the bit were they asked what the meaning of little used words was :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:40 pm

chris.ph wrote:sussurus is an onumatopia :) but i cant spell it as it sounds different to how you spell it :wink:

you would have a job not damaging the paint work opening doors without an escutcheon :lol:

one of my favourite bits of readers digest was the bit were they asked what the meaning of little used words was :)

I liked that item too. Usually got 'em right too, but that was a while ago. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby raisindot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm

How about "feegled," i.e., its transformation from a species to a verb? When did this all come about?
raisindot

Postby deldaisy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Funnily enough, I came across the word, escutcheon when I was reading the book this morning - but I knew what it meant. :D

But I agree, Terry is great at introducing us to words. I don't think I'd ever heard of the words 'gibbous' and 'susurration' until I read Discworld - now I seem to hear them fairly often.

Knew gibbous before TP but the strange thing is..... when I hear gibbous NOW... (ie someone else using it who doesn't work for the weather dept) I suspect a TP fan.... and its usually right. :lol:

There is a site/ceremony that introduces NEW words into the english language every year as official new words... like: email, blogging, etc. Always interesting. Some are complete pants.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:47 pm

to be honest it's basically the same to me AND through writing fanfiction for Discworld.
Frigorific for example I discovered by accident while looking up something for the fic on dictionary.com
LilMaibe

Postby Tiffany » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I found a new word in Snuff as well....
Phantasmagorical - characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtapositions; "a great concourse of phantasmagoric shadows"--J.C.Powys; "the incongruous imagery in surreal art and literature"

Brilliant word. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Maura:-D » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Tiffany this is weird but do you like Merlin? It's just you have the dragon...

I just had to look up escutcheon there... It can mean different things and I don't know it in context so oh well.
Maura:-D

Postby DaveC » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Maura:-D wrote:Tiffany this is weird but do you like Merlin? It's just you have the dragon...

I just had to look up escutcheon there... It can mean different things and I don't know it in context so oh well.

Mainly it means reputation.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tiffany » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Maura:-D wrote:Tiffany this is weird but do you like Merlin? It's just you have the dragon...

Welcome to the forum, Maura & yes, I love Merlin. We have a Merlin thread here if you'd like to read it.
http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... highlight=
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Return to Discworld novels