Character Actor of the...Moment.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Character Actor of the...Moment.

Postby Quatermass » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm

These people aren't stars. These are people who you have seen in various productions, playing memorable, but usually irregular parts. I invite you to dig deep, and consider some actors who, while not quite famous, are still memorable.

I'll start off with one...

DAVID HAIG

Yes, he appeared in Doctor Who. In fact, he played the evil Pangol in The Leisure Hive. I also saw him play the memorable role of a bike rider and semi-retired prankster and programmer in an episode of Midsomer Murders, as well as the insane, porphyria-suffering principal of the Portwenn School in Doc Martin. He also played Rudyard Kipling in My Boy Jack, with Daniel Radcliffe playing his son, and a comedic role in The Thin Blue Line with Rowan Atkinson.

Here's a brief clip from The Leisure Hive, where Pangol is boasting of his pending conquest to the human Brock, only for an aged Doctor and a pair of Foamasi to reveal that Brock isn't human after all...
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 pm

OK - this guy's famously co-starred in the LotR Trilogy as one of the Fellowship but you might not have noticed him voicing Treebeard the Ent as well :P

John Rhys-Davies

So yeah he's pretty recognisable but he's never the romantic lead (although he did flirt a lot with Miranda Otto (Éowyn) as Gimli :lol: ) and probably his other famous role previously was in #1 & #3 films of the Indiana Jones franchise and before that in the mini-series Shogun as the Portuguese privateer Vasco Rodrigues.

Anyway follow the link and you'll see he's been in loads of great stuff :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby DaveC » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Been a fan of David Haig since Thin Blue Line and JRD has been on my radar since Indiana Jones but cemented my adoration in Sliders :) He was awesome as Treebeard. Though I thought he could've done more to disguise his voice. :)

Here's my entry:

TOBY JONES!

Both Dobby and a Doctor Who villain this year. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:OK - this guy's famously co-starred in the LotR Trilogy as one of the Fellowship but you might not have noticed him voicing Treebeard the Ent as well :P

John Rhys-Davies

So yeah he's pretty recognisable but he's never the romantic lead (although he did flirt a lot with Miranda Otto (Éowyn) as Gimli :lol: ) and probably his other famous role previously was in #1 & #3 films of the Indiana Jones franchise and before that in the mini-series Shogun as the Portuguese privateer Vasco Rodrigues.

He was in Sliders as well. I don't think I've ever seen him playing a Welshman - he always plays foreigners. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:06 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:OK - this guy's famously co-starred in the LotR Trilogy as one of the Fellowship but you might not have noticed him voicing Treebeard the Ent as well :P

John Rhys-Davies

He was in Sliders as well. I don't think I've ever seen him playing a Welshman - he always plays foreigners. :D

Don't forget Pushkin from The Living Daylights.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Mine has to be BRUCE SPENCE

What an amazing actor. He can play evil to adorable.

At 6'7" and with a rubber face that is mesmerising to watch, when you see Bruce is in the cast list you know its a movie to watch. He has NO boundaries; from voice overs in kids cartoons, to leading roles in international blockbusters, to TV comedies.

Spence is most known for his roles as the Gyro Captain in Mad Max 2 and as Jedediah the pilot in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and as "Zedd" (Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander) in Legend of the Seeker.

He also performed the voice of Chum in Finding Nemo, the Mouth of Sauron in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, the Trainman in The Matrix Revolutions, and Tion Medon in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Spence
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:13 pm

John Rhys-Davies

Yet another I, Claudius alum. Rhys-Davies played the second-in-command to general Sejanus (played by an afro-wigged Patrick Stewart) who ended up replacing him in a very bloody coup.
raisindot

Postby DaveC » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:24 pm

BRUCE SPENCE RULES!!! :):):) 8) :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:46 pm

Lurved Bruce in the Mad Maxes :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am

deldaisy wrote:Mine has to be BRUCE SPENCE

What an amazing actor. He can play evil to adorable.

At 6'7" and with a rubber face that is mesmerising to watch, when you see Bruce is in the cast list you know its a movie to watch. He has NO boundaries; from voice overs in kids cartoons, to leading roles in international blockbusters, to TV comedies.

Spence is most known for his roles as the Gyro Captain in Mad Max 2 and as Jedediah the pilot in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and as "Zedd" (Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander) in Legend of the Seeker.

He also performed the voice of Chum in Finding Nemo, the Mouth of Sauron in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, the Trainman in The Matrix Revolutions, and Tion Medon in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Spence

OH YEAH! Bruce Spence! :D :D :D :D

Who here saw him as Darcy in Bullpitt!! ? :D

-the Master
Quatermass

Return to TV, film, theatre