Female watchmen

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jizburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Your English is better than some of the natives, believe me!!

Where are you from?

well thank you=) i am from sweden
Jizburg

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm

Ooooh. I fell in love with Sweden (well, Ystad anyway!) and the lovely Krister when I watched Wallander.

I miss Kurt. :?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jizburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Ooooh. I fell in love with Sweden (well, Ystad anyway!) and the lovely Krister when I watched Wallander.

I miss Kurt. :?

well then. come and live in sweden then :D we are awsome you know ;D
the awsomest contry in the world :D (that was a joke... chill...)
Jizburg

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:55 pm

And you also produced the rather lovely Alexander Skarsgard! :oops:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Jizburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:And you also produced the rather lovely Alexander Skarsgard! :oops:

jupp.. we create them by the dussins.. in great big vats..
alexander skarsgårds and Victoria Silvstedts.. they are quite popular.. everyone has one. shame that the clones are banned from export..
Jizburg

Postby WannabeAngua » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:53 pm

raisindot wrote: Women like Susan, Granny Weatherwax, Angua, Tiffany, Polly, and Glenda are some of the most resourceful and strong-willed characters in his books and generally possess far more intelligence and common sense then the men with whom they interact.

I agree. There may be more male characters than female, but at least the females are all capable, and not just there to provide a nice face and a big pair of boobs (except perhaps Christine).
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Jizburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:57 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:
raisindot wrote: Women like Susan, Granny Weatherwax, Angua, Tiffany, Polly, and Glenda are some of the most resourceful and strong-willed characters in his books and generally possess far more intelligence and common sense then the men with whom they interact.

I agree. There may be more male characters than female, but at least the females are all capable, and not just there to provide a nice face and a big pair of boobs (except perhaps Christine).

but it is cind of sad that most of them are not "ordinary" humans..
it cinda sais that " to be capable and a woman.. you have to have special powers"
Jizburg

Postby raisindot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Jizburg wrote:but it is cind of sad that most of them are not "ordinary" humans..
it cinda sais that " to be capable and a woman.. you have to have special powers"

Well, Polly, Glenda, Sacarisha(sp.), Lady Sibyl and Spike are all strong-willed "normal" characters. And other than Vimes, Wm. De Worde, Moist, The Patrician and (arguably) Carrot, most of the other ongoing male protagonists of the stories (Lobsang, Rincewind, the wizards, Nutt, Mort, wotisname 'Buddy Holly' of Soul Music, Death, Brutha. Lu Tze) do have special powers of one sort or another.

Perhaps the biggest complaint you can lobby at Pterry regarding female characters is that, other than Monstrous Regiment, none of his books feature a 'normal' female as the protagonist in the same way Vimes anchors the later Watch books and Moist anchors his.
raisindot

Postby KarenM » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
KarenM wrote:Not members of the watch but the Dolly Sisters are mentioned a fair few times.
Do you mean Dotsie and Sadie, the Agony Aunts?

Dolly Sisters is an area in A-M, not and people as such. :)

*ahem* yes, that's what I meant, I may have been having a bit of a moment.

The worst bit is I didn't think I had the name right but I asked my partner and he agreed with me!

K
KarenM

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm

See. Too much gin. I told you, but would you listen? :wink:

Bouncy Castle

Postby KarenM » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:See. Too much gin. I told you, but would you listen? :wink:

I don't quite understand... too *much* gin, is such a thing possible?

As it happens I discovered that my new favouite pub serves Hendrick's Gin last night.

Also, I am cursing that I didn't take a day off work today to read Snuff. It's sitting on my desk next to me and taunting me, I read some at lunch but I want to be reading it NOW!

K
KarenM

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm waiting for confirmation that the formatting of the Kindle version is OK.

Apparently, the Amazon.COM reviewers were scathing about the formatting, and were suggesting that TP and the publishers "have words" about it.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:32 pm

raisindot wrote:
swreader wrote:A very good question. I think that Terry is uncomfortable in trying to portray "normal" women--even in MR, Polly is the closest thing to a normal human female. And even then, all of them are being used to make a point about the discrimination against women.

Actually, have you noticed that there are very few female characters (of any species) in Terry's books?

I have to totally disagree with you there. Fantasy in general is a male-dominated genre where women are mostly used as sex objects.

And while early on Pterry did rely too much on these stereotypes and took awhile to start developing fully fleshed out female characters (one could argue whether this started with the Granny Weatherwax of Equal Rites, Esk, or Isabel(sp.) of Mort), but once he published Wyrd Sisters he became one of the few writers in the genrewho has developed a very rich set of well (narratively) developed female characters.

Women like Susan, Granny Weatherwax, Angua, Tiffany, Polly, and Glenda are some of the most resourceful and strong-willed characters in his books and generally possess far more intelligence and common sense then the men with whom they interact. Female sidekicks and supporting females like Sacharisia, Spike, Nanny Ogg, Magrat, Agnes, Sally and Cheery are all well developed characters that make vital contributions to the resolutions of their narratives. Even someone like Lady Sibyl(sp.), who Pterry could have easily allowed to remain a one-dimensional goof on the aristocracy, has evolved to become a highly intelligent, strong-willed woman who makes vital contributions toward solving Vimes' problems.

And let's not forget the most powerful female on the discworld--Rhys, King of the Dwarfs.

Spot on, couldn't have said it better myself.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Bump to rescue thread.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jizburg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 am

haha just read something in Snuff.. Precious Jolson is a human woman ^^

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Precious_Jolson
Jizburg

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels