Female watchmen

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Female watchmen

Postby Jizburg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:19 pm

how come there are no named female watchmen that is completely human?
i mean.. in "Monserous regiment" they make a big thing about women being able to kick ass at least as good as their male counterparts so why not a watch(wo)man?

just a thought..
Jizburg
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Postby swreader » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:03 pm

A very good question. I think that Terry is uncomfortable in trying to portray "normal" women--even in MR, Polly is the closest thing to a normal human female. And even then, all of them are being used to make a point about the discrimination against women.

Actually, have you noticed that there are very few female characters (of any species) in Terry's books?
User avatar
swreader
Member
 
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:39 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Yep, it's something I've wondered at as well. Most people don't know that Angua is a werewolf, so they presumably think she is a normal human woman. You would think that women in A-M seeing her doing so well in the Watch, would be inspired to join up themselves.

A question to ask Terry should you ever meet him I think. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28769
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Jizburg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:12 pm

hmm yes. you are right.. the only feemales that are portrayed in detail is the witches...
Jizburg
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Postby Jizburg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Yep, it's something I've wondered at as well. Most people don't know that Angua is a werewolf, so they presumably think she is a normal human woman. You would think that women in A-M seeing her doing so well in the Watch, would be inspired to join up themselves.

A question to ask Terry should you ever meet him I think. :wink:


i will :D one of many questions i have to him :D do you know if he has like a fan mailbox or something?
Jizburg
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm

No he doesn't. Which is probably just as well as if everyone wrote to him, he'd never have time to write any books. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28769
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Jizburg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Tonyblack wrote:No he doesn't. Which is probably just as well as if everyone wrote to him, he'd never have time to write any books. :lol:


haha yes but most sutch fan mailboxes are managed by someone else that can answer for that person :D
Jizburg
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Postby KarenM » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Not members of the watch but the Dolly Sisters are mentioned a fair few times.
User avatar
KarenM
Member
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Postby meerkat » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:19 pm

:lol: :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
User avatar
meerkat
Member
 
Posts: 13475
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm
Location: Wilberfoss East Riding Yorkshire

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:20 pm

KarenM wrote:Not members of the watch but the Dolly Sisters are mentioned a fair few times.
Do you mean Dotsie and Sadie, the Agony Aunts?

Dolly Sisters is an area in A-M, not and people as such. :)

There are human women in the books - Sybil, Saccharissa, Miss Dearheart, Queen Molly and Mrs (wossname from the UU kitchens) to name but a few.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28769
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Mrs. Cake - Mrs. Cosmopolite - Mrs. Palm - all formidable human ladies although Mrs. Cake is arguably 'gifted' if not actually a witch and seems to be 'well-respected'. :P

In the Guilds in A-M they're actually more consistently represented or at least mentioned more than the men (the Assassins have had 2 incumbents and the Thieves rarely get a mention or have anything to do after CoM/LF) whereas Rosie and Molly are there in passing a lot more. :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10514
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby raisindot » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:41 pm

swreader wrote:A very good question. I think that Terry is uncomfortable in trying to portray "normal" women--even in MR, Polly is the closest thing to a normal human female. And even then, all of them are being used to make a point about the discrimination against women.

Actually, have you noticed that there are very few female characters (of any species) in Terry's books?



I have to totally disagree with you there. Fantasy in general is a male-dominated genre where women are mostly used as sex objects.

And while early on Pterry did rely too much on these stereotypes and took awhile to start developing fully fleshed out female characters (one could argue whether this started with the Granny Weatherwax of Equal Rites, Esk, or Isabel(sp.) of Mort), but once he published Wyrd Sisters he became one of the few writers in the genrewho has developed a very rich set of well (narratively) developed female characters.

Women like Susan, Granny Weatherwax, Angua, Tiffany, Polly, and Glenda are some of the most resourceful and strong-willed characters in his books and generally possess far more intelligence and common sense then the men with whom they interact. Female sidekicks and supporting females like Sacharisia, Spike, Nanny Ogg, Magrat, Agnes, Sally and Cheery are all well developed characters that make vital contributions to the resolutions of their narratives. Even someone like Lady Sibyl(sp.), who Pterry could have easily allowed to remain a one-dimensional goof on the aristocracy, has evolved to become a highly intelligent, strong-willed woman who makes vital contributions toward solving Vimes' problems.

And let's not forget the most powerful female on the discworld--Rhys, King of the Dwarfs.
Last edited by raisindot on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raisindot
Member
 
Posts: 3178
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Boston, MA USA

Postby Jizburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
KarenM wrote:Not members of the watch but the Dolly Sisters are mentioned a fair few times.
Do you mean Dotsie and Sadie, the Agony Aunts?

Dolly Sisters is an area in A-M, not and people as such. :)

There are human women in the books - Sybil, Saccharissa, Miss Dearheart, Queen Molly and Mrs (wossname from the UU kitchens) to name but a few.



yes those are women from the books.. but very few of the "normal" women in the books has had a "big" role.. the only ones i can remember is the night kitchen girls in Unseen academicals. were they did have big roles.
and in monstruos regiment

and by "normal" women i mean Humans of the female persuasion that is not a witch or a vapire or a werewolf or any other sutch thing.

so i still think that it is strange that more women have not joined the watch i mean Angua is officialy a human. that should give more women that idea.

(sorry about my bad english.. english is not my first language)
Jizburg
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Your English is better than some of the natives, believe me!!

Where are you from?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 11977
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Postby Jizburg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Mrs. Cake - Mrs. Cosmopolite - Mrs. Palm - all formidable human ladies although Mrs. Cake is arguably 'gifted' if not actually a witch and seems to be 'well-respected'. :P

In the Guilds in A-M they're actually more consistently represented or at least mentioned more than the men (the Assassins have had 2 incumbents and the Thieves rarely get a mention or have anything to do after CoM/LF) whereas Rosie and Molly are there in passing a lot more. :lol:


yes. but all of those are not main caracters.. they only figure in the background so the main caracters can have something to talk to.. and they are not watchmen :D
Jizburg
New member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Next

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests