Happy Fourth of July!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:39 pm

MattK wrote:We're a fast thinking group. Besides, Aussies and Yankees are both pretty similar. Except that you really didn't want the Aussies hanging around your island.
:lol: We used to send our undesirables to Georgia before you all got Independence. Far less trouble than sending them all the way to Oz. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby MattK » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:41 pm

That explains so much about the south. :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life. [The Last Continent]
MattK

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Of course The Star Spangled Banner the US national anthem, is sung to the tune of a British drinking song. :wink:

My wife is a font of knowledge. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Of course The Star Spangled Banner the US national anthem, is sung to the tune of a British drinking song. :wink:

My wife is a font of knowledge. :lol:

That is why tis such a bugger to sing. :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Not at all - you just need to be drunk. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:42 pm

Too late - every pub in London has to have an Aussie behind the bar - its the law... plus every other IT temp comes from there too :roll:

Did you know that God Save the Queen (and thus the US version also) was actually a popular ditty and the first published version of it were sung in various 'musical revues' back in the early Georgian period ...

Wikipedia wrote:The first definitive published version of the present tune appeared in 1744 in Thesaurus Musicus, as a setting of the familiar first verse, and the song was popularised in Scotland and England the following year, with the landing of Charles Edward Stuart. It was recorded as being sung in London theatres in 1745, with, for example, Thomas Arne writing a setting of the tune for the Drury Lane Theatre.

Happy 4th anyway USA :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Sorry I'm a bit late. I've been out all day.

A Very Happy 4TH Of July to all our American friends.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Catch-up » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:06 am

:lol: I love following the winding path that some threads take!
Catch-up

Postby kakaze » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:33 am

Tonyblack wrote:Ok, what is marmite?
I take a couple of jars over with me when I go over. It's an aquired taste and a lot of us Brits were brought up with it.[/quote]

Sounds better than Nattō.

From Wikipedia:

Nattō (なっとう) is a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis. It is popular especially as a breakfast food. As a rich source of protein, nattō and the soybean paste miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan. For some, nattō can be an acquired taste due to its powerful smell, strong flavor, and sticky consistency.

I've always felt that Nattō looked like something from out of your nose and smelled like something from out of your old shoes.

What do you think poohbcarrot?
kakaze

Postby swreader » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:45 am

On behalf of those of us who (with a few real weirdos one of whom resides in Alaska) call THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE our native land,

Thank you one and all! :D

And yes, Matt it does explain a good deal about the South-- at least Georgia. But it doesn't really account for the other peculiarities, especially in South Carolina political figures. And they're not all from the same party either.

Oops-- John Sanford is from South Carolina (at least most of the time), but John Edwards is from North Carolina.
Last edited by swreader on Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
swreader

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:00 am

kakaze wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Ok, what is marmite?
I take a couple of jars over with me when I go over. It's an aquired taste and a lot of us Brits were brought up with it.

Sounds better than Nattō.

From Wikipedia:

Nattō (なっとう) is a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis. It is popular especially as a breakfast food. As a rich source of protein, nattō and the soybean paste miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan. For some, nattō can be an acquired taste due to its powerful smell, strong flavor, and sticky consistency.

I've always felt that Nattō looked like something from out of your nose and smelled like something from out of your old shoes.

What do you think poohbcarrot?[/quote]

Natto is probably the most disgusting food it's ever been my misfortune to eat. A lot of Japanese eat it for breakfast every day. The smell of it makes me feel physically sick! :x

But you give some blue cheese to a Japanese person and you'll get the same response.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Trish » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:27 pm

What food is so bad that you put marmite on it?
Trish

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:38 pm

I just finished a jar of Marmite last week and now have to resort to Vegemite. Vegemite is not as gooey and the flavour isn't so strong, but even Vegemite's a million times better than peanut butter! 8)

Did you know that if you put some Marmite on top of the lid and hit it with a spoon for about 15 minutes it changes colour? It will eventually turn white :D
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Cheery » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:I just finished a jar of Marmite last week and now have to resort to Vegemite. Vegemite is not as gooey and the flavour isn't so strong, but even Vegemite's a million times better than peanut butter! 8)

Did you know that if you put some Marmite on top of the lid and hit it with a spoon for about 15 minutes it changes colour? It will eventually turn white :D

NOTHING's better than peanut butter!! (except for choc)

Edit: Especially not marmite
Cheery

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 pm

swreader wrote: THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE and a paperweight museum in Ohio and a mustard museum in Winconsin

I'm applying for my green card NOW! :lol:
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum