Marmite books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Marmite books

Postby mspanners » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:21 am

Why is it I love some of Terry's book and yet others I find tedious...... the last books I found readable were Going Postal and Making Money but Nation and I shall wear midnight are terrible... and unseen academicals not very good either even though it had a few interesting parts.

I think it is because I prefer books with less mysticism in them.

The watch series had more action adventure and sleuthing in them.
mspanners

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:33 am

1. are you certain this posting wasn't meant to be a response to something :|

2. I think being able to say that there are things from one's favourite author/actor/etc makes one a 'good fan'. Too often you have too many people who say -if it is from/with (Name here) it has to be good-
Nobody's perfect.
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:45 am

I'd almost completely disagree with you mspanners. Going Postal was quite good, and Unseen Academicals got better in later readings, but I Shall Wear Midnight and Nation were excellent.

Making Money is awful. I have read it three times now and have decided that I will never read it again. I've had experiences with Terry's books where I didn't like the book on the first reading, but then that book has gone on to be a favourite - Small Gods for example. But Making Money was awful the first time and has got worse since.

I hope to hell that Terry never bothers writing Raising Taxes - if it's anything like MM at least.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:50 am

I'm with you Tony, Making Money really sucks, the worst thing he's written for a long long time
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby meerkat » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 am

I loved all the ones except MM but it won;t stop me from reading it again.

UA grew on me, as I think Tony suggested many moons ago that it would. Not all the books and Terry has written many can be as good as others. He must get an off book occasionaly.

But his stories always entertain so, give them a rest,and read the ones you haven't read for a long time or haven't read yet,then go back to them.

Working for the GPO and having a family connection to the Post Office I found GP funny and very like Mount Pleasant Sorting office in London!
MM I can take or leave.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tiffany » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 am

I didn't like Pyramids or Small Gods or Unseen Academicals, can't stand football anyway. I've only read those once, perhaps they improve if read again. All the others I like.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby WannabeAngua » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:21 pm

I didn't really enjoy UA, Making money or Going postal. But I've only read them once so I'll give them all another go before I decide on like vs. dislike.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby mspanners » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:34 pm

I suppose he has to write books to appeal to a wide range of readers, but I hope he turns his hand back to the adventure and action side and away from the mystical. I just like to watch style books and think they are written better.
mspanners

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I wouldn't mind an actual return to the mystical. UA was anything but enchanting. On the contrary, each time I try to read it it makes me sad and angry. Mainly because I don't want to accept that a discworld book reads like a book made from examples from 'how not to write a novel'.

GP was neat to me, MM was blah, MR was a big wtf from what i managed to read of it and thud is not interesting me.
Don't know if I'll even read snuff... I mean, if i understood it correctly Vimes will be searching for the holy chamberpot....what?!
LilMaibe

Re: Marmite books

Postby swreader » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:12 pm

mspanners wrote:Why is it I love some of Terry's book and yet others I find tedious...... the last books I found readable were Going Postal and Making Money but Nation and I shall wear midnight are terrible... and unseen academicals not very good either even though it had a few interesting parts.

I think it is because I prefer books with less mysticism in them.

The watch series had more action adventure and sleuthing in them.

De gustibus non disputandum est
That said, I think you are missing what Terry considers his best work--though I must admit I don't always agree with him. If you want mysteries and police procedurals, Terry is not your author. But if you want thought provoking, comic satire (some of it quite biting) most of Terry's books provide that. You are, I think, the only person I know who likes Making Money. The best I can say is that there are a couple of not too bad scenes in it. On the other hand, as I have said elsewhere, I think that I Shall Wear Midnight is the best thing, at least stylistically, and perhaps overall, that he's ever written. Terry is at his best, usually, when he deals with the more serious subjects. See the Gaiman interview for his comments about this.
swreader

Postby Teppic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'd almost completely disagree with you mspanners. Going Postal was quite good, and Unseen Academicals got better in later readings, but I Shall Wear Midnight and Nation were excellent.

Making Money is awful. I have read it three times now and have decided that I will never read it again. I've had experiences with Terry's books where I didn't like the book on the first reading, but then that book has gone on to be a favourite - Small Gods for example. But Making Money was awful the first time and has got worse since.

I hope to hell that Terry never bothers writing Raising Taxes - if it's anything like MM at least.

Saw this on terryandrob Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/terryandrob) this morning:

http://twitter.com/#!/terryandrob/statu ... 4976053248
Teppic

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Teppic wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I'd almost completely disagree with you mspanners. Going Postal was quite good, and Unseen Academicals got better in later readings, but I Shall Wear Midnight and Nation were excellent.

Saw this on terryandrob Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/terryandrob) this morning:

Terry and Rob on Twitter wrote:A third Moist von Lipwig novel...?

I'm not sure what that means. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Turtles4Ever » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:18 pm

The only two which I really dislike are Moving Pictures and Soul Music. They are REALLY hard going for me for some strange, obscure reason.
Turtles4Ever

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Turtles4Ever wrote:The only two which I really dislike are Moving Pictures and Soul Music. They are REALLY hard going for me for some strange, obscure reason.
Well they rely a bit on you 'getting' the film and music references. But there's a good deal more to Soul Music than Moving Pictures in my opinion. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Teppic wrote:

Terry and Rob on Twitter wrote:A third Moist von Lipwig novel...?

I'm not sure what that means. :?
The Raising Taxes book to complete the trilogy. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Discworld novels