Ankh - Morpork

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:36 pm

The descriptive powers of Pterry makes the city feel as comfortable as old slippers,through which you can actually feel the cobbles.
silverstreak

Postby Lenny Quirm » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 pm

I'd love a job in the watch myself. although anything that didn't draw the attention of Vetinari would be preferable. It seems anyone he finds interesting is somehow enviegled into living in interesting times... so to speak.

Jolly entertaining place to be though, you could just spend your day wondering from one fine example of AM street theatre to another.
It only hurts if you pick at it!
Lenny Quirm

Postby carllota » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am

I would love to live in AM. but would have to have reg hol's to the ramtops for a bit of pease every now and again!
not sure what job i'd have but would love to work at the sunshine san. with lady sybil. would you get damage money thou?!
If the number of mad people out number the sane people who is to say who is mad?
carllota

Postby TheMole » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:06 am

Lenny Quirm wrote:Jolly entertaining place to be though, you could just spend your day wondering from one fine example of AM street theatre to another.

:D ˇLook out of the window and tell me what you see.' 'Um, a small scruffy dog watching a man taking a piss in an alley,' said Moist. 'Sorry, but you chose the wrong time.'

By the way - what is your opinion about the Patrician in Colour of Magic?
In my definitely-not-humble opinion it IS Vetinari, because of his talk to Rincewind, but there are many people who believe him being Snapcase or Winder (beacuse of candied starfish and so on; and partly because he is probably the Patrician also in Mort, and they keep saying Patrician in Mort is definitely not Vetinari - Vetinari does not have balls, parties and so on)
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Jarmara » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:34 am

Thing is, Terry just writes. As far as I can tell it's fans who worry about continuity rather than him. The earlier books have more discrepancies than the later ones because I think he takes more care as the number of questions from confuddled fans increases!

In CoM, it's just a patrician, no character, nothing but a imposing authority figure to serve the purpose of scaring Rincewind into doing what otherwise he'd never do. Then later Terry decided he could go to some good places with the kind of guy who'd run A-M and developed a specific character for that purpose. The Discworld didn't arrive in Terry's head fully-formed and neither did any of the people in it, look at how Granny's evolved as a case in point. There will be 'mistakes' but that's because sadly it's not a real place. Don't worry about them :)
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:02 am

Terry insists that it is Vetinari - but what does he know? :P

Certain characters in the books seem to take over. Terry creates them and then they demand to be fleshed out and developed. Yes, there's a patrician in COM but the very limited description doesn't seem to fit with Vetinari.

It's the same with others such as Granny - look how different she is in Equal Rites. There's the basis of Granny there, but she's very different in many ways.

And Vimes has developed hugely from G!G! You really notice this more when you read the books in order.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Annebn » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:33 pm

I agree Tony. Although I think with Vimes it is a more gradual and somehow natural change, which can be explained by what happens to the character -like stopping to drink, meeting Sybil etc. The other two seem more abrupt and hard to explain, at least to me.
Annebn

Postby TheMole » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:27 pm

:D By the way, when we are talking changes and development, what do you think about this description of Rincewind from the Colour of Magic? "scrawny, like most wizards"

*sigh* those were the days, when Terry had supposed his wizards to be scrawny... :wink:
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:49 pm

They had to be careful about what they ate in those days. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:56 am

Maybe giving up smoking is what did it :roll: They seem quite happy with their 20-course dinners instead though.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jarmara » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:44 am

perhaps the 'most wizards' standard was set by those wizards who lived outwith the confines of UU and came into contact with the people of A-M more? Any wizard living like that would presumeably be just like Rincewind :lol:
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby BlackAssassin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:40 am

Jarmara wrote:Thing is, Terry just writes. As far as I can tell it's fans who worry about continuity rather than him. The earlier books have more discrepancies than the later ones because I think he takes more care as the number of questions from confuddled fans increases!

In CoM, it's just a patrician, no character, nothing but a imposing authority figure to serve the purpose of scaring Rincewind into doing what otherwise he'd never do. Then later Terry decided he could go to some good places with the kind of guy who'd run A-M and developed a specific character for that purpose. The Discworld didn't arrive in Terry's head fully-formed and neither did any of the people in it, look at how Granny's evolved as a case in point. There will be 'mistakes' but that's because sadly it's not a real place. Don't worry about them :)

I totally agree.... as seen in Guards! Guards! when the dragon had the meeting with the other Guild Leaders... they where just called an ArchChancellor or the Assassins Guild leader - they had no names... not until MrP decided to explore a particular area or character did he actually give them names and/or a personality as such.

Having said that - I still wish I could find out if Lord Downey has a first name........ I think he should be called Luke... HELLO MR P if you are reading this PLEASE give him a first name!!!!!!.... I dunno why, just coz you can you know.....

Ally
You can't stop stupid
BlackAssassin

Postby Catch-up » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:54 pm

AM is a place I'd love to visit, but not live in. Before I was able to join in book discussions with people overseas, I couldn't help but imagine AM as New York City, (Broad Way = Broadway, The Big Wahooni = The Big Apple, etc.). Then it was so interesting to hear people point out the similarities to London, which I've never had the opportunity to visit. Obviously, AM is not representative of just one real world city, and is very much it's own place, but I was wondering if people in other countries had found comparisons to their own large cities?

I can't remember if they're actually part of the Beggar's Guild, but the Canting Crew are my absolute favorite AM citizens. :D
Catch-up

Postby SandraB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:07 am

I think they were thrown out for bringing the guild down
Veni Vini Volupti
SandraB

Postby SandraB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:17 am

Jinx wrote:I was really impressed with Granny in A-M in Maskerade (more so than Equal Rites). I think I was as shocked as Nanny Ogg when she revealed that she knew exactly what the Seamstresses' Guild was.

I'd like to live on Treacle Mine Road. Only a short walk to Gimlet's Hole Food Delicatessen, but hopefully far enough so as not actually smell those cooking rats.

I remembered Equal Rites and just found the scene so funny - a Mother's horror at what her son was upto - the her Chaste friend is welcomed with open arms by name!
Veni Vini Volupti
SandraB

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum