Is Discworld the best?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Is Discworld the best?

Postby author3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 pm

I was just wondsering if everyone thinks Discworld is the best series or do you prefer something like Hitch-Hikers.
So basically is Discworld the best series of books you've ever read?
For me it definitely is :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby meerkat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Clearly yes as I have ALL the main books! :lol:
My second favourite is the Cadfael Series by Ellis Peters.
Third is the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles by SJ Parrish.
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby author3 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Do you have any of the add-ons like Science of discworld Thundercat?
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby raisindot » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Boy, that's a great question.

There may be some series that I initially liked better (like Robert Parker's Spenser series or Tony Hillerman's Chee and Leaphorn mysteries) and some may be more fun to read (like Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster and Blandings Castle series), and some may even be more thought provoking (like Asimov's original Foundation series), but in most of these series the books start off strong and then begin to taper off into formula after awhile, and by the 20th book or so the author almost seems to be phoning it again. Pterry seems to be one of the few authors whose series started off weak and got exponentially better off time and who has mostly maintained his originality and literary mastery nearly forty books later. Maybe it helps that he has a wide variety of characters, locations and themes to work with so no particular 'subseries' is overdone. Whatever it is, I'd say on these terms alone DW could be the best series ever.
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 pm

I've read all the Chee and Leaphorn books - they're great! :D

I really enjoyed visiting the Navajo Reservation as it put the stories into context. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Good question. Discworld is definitely my favourite but I wouldn't like to say whether its necessarily the best in terms of influence or success (I'm afraid Harry bloody Potter might take that title for that).

Other series I have enjoyed are Michael Moorcock's 'Eternal Champion' books, although they became a bit samey (if you know what I mean) and Fritz Leiber's Swords and Sorcery series which Sir Terry lampooned brilliantly in Colour of Magic. :D

Does H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu stories count as a series?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:04 pm

That's what got me to buy the book those many years ago, as soon as I seen that passage about the two unsavoury rogues it made me laugh, I then put it back on the shelf because it had a tiny tear in the dust jacket and it was the last one. :cry:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby SimsKatie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm

It may not always be the best, but Discworld certainly is the richest in terms of character and world development, I think.
SimsKatie

Postby Penfold » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:That's what got me to buy the book those many years ago, as soon as I seen that passage about the two unsavoury rogues it made me laugh, I then put it back on the shelf because it had a tiny tear in the dust jacket and it was the last one. :cry:

I think it may have been that passage that got me hooked, together with the Lovecraft references. It takes a great deal of skill to take the micky like that without giving offence to fans of those books (LotR fans vs. Bored of the Rings, anyone?). :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Kin Arad » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Sometimes i may find a book (non discworld) that has the 'wow' factor more than a lot of the dw books (for me) but that's mainly because it has a totally different style and i need a break once in a while, and often i forget how good dw books are :D
I think the DW books are the exact style of books i like to read and so since reading them i haven't found a lot else to suit it.
Another series (actually i'm not quite sure how many there are) i like is Horatio Lyle by Catherine Webb - it's quite young, but a good read :)
“Wouldn’t that unplug your heating pad?”
Kin Arad

Postby michelanCello » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 pm

For me, reading B.TP. was never about the author - if I liked a book, I'd buy the rest if it was a series because I was interested in the story. But with Discworld, it's Sir Terry's style I love and that's why I read his books... it's not even as if DW is a continuous series.
But as series, I really liked the Thurday Next ones, the Bartimaeus-trilogy (which has 4 parts by now :P ) and the Stravaganza-trilogy (the 5th book came out this year :roll: ). And maybe some of you didn't, but I really liked the Potter series...
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Harry Blue5 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Discworld may not be the best, but with generally good writing and almost 40 books now, it may as well be.
Harry Blue5

Postby Quatermass » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

The only book series that consistently passes it is the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. Discworld is amongst the best at its best.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 am

For me it is the best series there is.
I've enjoyed other series as well, but nothing comes close to DW.
:D
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby pip » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 am

Definitely my favourite anyway.
Many good series but so few have so much choice and variety. The only author who has come close in fiction is Pg Wodehouse :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Next

Return to Discworld novels