2 questions on the Colour of Magic!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 pm

David Brown wrote:I believe that in this country, most "doctors" of the medical persuasion hold the degree bachelor of medicine. Genuine MDs are, I believe, quite rare.

I now await correction from the BMC.

A bachelor is just 3 years studies right. Surely it takes more than 3 years to become a doctor? Our MDs put in 6 years at the least.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 pm

WannabeAngua wrote:
David Brown wrote:I believe that in this country, most "doctors" of the medical persuasion hold the degree bachelor of medicine. Genuine MDs are, I believe, quite rare.

I now await correction from the BMC.

A bachelor is just 3 years studies right. Surely it takes more than 3 years to become a doctor? Our MDs put in 6 years at the least.

In the UK it takes 5 or 6 years of university to become a doctor, plus more training after graduation. I think a bachelor's degree basically means you can go straight onto it from A-levels nothing to do with how long it is, it may also have something to do with the amount of research involved?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 pm

The number of years is irrelevant, most bachelors degrees in Scotland are 4 years :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 am

Wiki has all the info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Medicine

Basically, someone can be called doctor as little as 4 years after their A-levels in the UK, and they get let loose on patients - but they get a lot of supervision (we all hope).

I used to teach microbiology to doctors wanting to take their consultancy exams, and they were almost without exception extremely intelligent and hard-working.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:The number of years is irrelevant, most bachelors degrees in Scotland are 4 years :roll:

But isn't that because Scottish highers are taken a year earlier than A-levels so students from south of the border skip the first year of some courses?
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Previous

Return to Discworld novels