Making Money Discussion *Spoilers*

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:50 am

Willem wrote:
ChristianBecker wrote:Edit: Does it somewhere in the book actually say that the real Vetinari indeed wears that ring.
It could also be a rumour that he has such a device and people like Cosmo would be likely to fall for it.

That's kind of how I remember it too.

The ring does exist IIRC. and it is his sealing ring... but it still feels as if the ring as it is is there for that one scene soley, not for anything else.
LilMaibe

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:43 pm

Well, yeah, in the end it is only this one scene.
But the pain Cosmo endures and the how he deals with it by telling himself that the colour, pain, fever etc. are all good signs that mark the progress of his metamorphosis to the REAL Vetinari are a brilliant way to show how mad Cosmo actually is. Wearing your underwear on your head and spittle in the corner of the mouse are way overused topoi.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Mikkym » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:18 pm

I felt the same as many of the other crytics of Terrys "Making Money", in that, it did not fullfil me in any way whatsoever. But saying that, I have only read the first few chapters before getting bored. I returned to the book at a later date, only to get to the same spot over and over again. I,ve given up now, but hope to try "Snuff" when it comes out.
As I have read ALL Terry Discworld novels, some of them twice,and have enjoyed them immensely, I feel justified in making this small crytisism.[/b]
Mikkym

Postby author3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Welcome to the forums Mikkym :D :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Mikkym wrote:I felt the same as many of the other crytics of Terrys "Making Money", in that, it did not fullfil me in any way whatsoever. But saying that, I have only read the first few chapters before getting bored.[/b]

There are definitely a lot of dull parts to MM, but you should try to finish it if you can because the last third is very good and the climactic scene is one of the best in all of the DW books.
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 pm

raisindot wrote:
Mikkym wrote:I felt the same as many of the other crytics of Terrys "Making Money", in that, it did not fullfil me in any way whatsoever. But saying that, I have only read the first few chapters before getting bored.[/b]

There are definitely a lot of dull parts to MM, but you should try to finish it if you can because the last third is very good and the climactic scene is one of the best in all of the DW books.

Umm... No? Or are you mistaking MM with GP here?
Sorry, but the 'climatic scene' was pretty anti-climatic and anything but memorable.
Not to mention...

Spoiler wrote:It's a bit off to see Moist on one hand wonder how Mr Bent did not know the old 'i was just testing you' trick, while Moist himself fails to remember the even older 'F*ck yes I KNOW I look like that bloke Do you know how often I was mistaken for that guy that got hanged ever since I came here?!' trick.
LilMaibe

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:20 am

Welcome to the forum.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 am

Welcome from me too. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Maura:-D » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:52 am

So I haven't read the other posts on this- there's so many!- but just had to but in... I love both Going Postal and Making Money. I love Moist as a charater, and how he develops, but sometimes I get the two books confused, and I don't want to go in to detail in case I embarass myself! :oops: [/b]
Maura:-D

Postby Maura:-D » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:59 am

Is there going to be a third Lipwig book? I think I read that somewhere... :?
Maura:-D

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 am

Maura:-D wrote:Is there going to be a third Lipwig book? I think I read that somewhere... :?
There have been rumours that there may be a third book, possibly called 'Raising Taxes' - but it hasn't been confirmed. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Maura:-D wrote:So I haven't read the other posts on this- there's so many!- but just had to but in... I love both Going Postal and Making Money. I love Moist as a charater, and how he develops, but sometimes I get the two books confused, and I don't want to go in to detail in case I embarass myself! :oops: [/b]
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby cabbagehead » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:48 pm

A few pages back there was discussion of how much owned golems can act of their own will. Well, in Feet of Clay the golems got together and built their child/king Meshuga. I'm pretty sure that was not in their chems or any verbal instructions of their respective masters. It seems that at least during their time off golems can act independently, as long as they don't contradict their chems. (This does not seem to apply to the Umnian golems if they can stay put for millennia.)
cabbagehead

Postby raisindot » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm

cabbagehead wrote:A few pages back there was discussion of how much owned golems can act of their own will. Well, in Feet of Clay the golems got together and built their child/king Meshuga. I'm pretty sure that was not in their chems or any verbal instructions of their respective masters. It seems that at least during their time off golems can act independently, as long as they don't contradict their chems. (This does not seem to apply to the Umnian golems if they can stay put for millennia.)

The Umnian golems don't have chems; therefore, they are incapable of the kind of independent thought that led "real" golems to achieve sentience and develop their own sense of morality. They are nearly entirely little more than the 'tools' that the shopkeepers of AM thought the original golems were until the efforts of the golems to create a king and the resulting insanity of Meshuga and the chem-less thinking of Dorft proved them wrong. At best, the Umnians golems were able to communicate some sense of loneliness (or a desire to reach out to others), but beyond that they really are little more than robots.
raisindot

Postby SpyViolette » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:59 am

I liked Making Money, but not nearly as much as I liked GP. I felt like it took a while for Moist to get back into character, but I do think Vetinari was particularly great in this one.

It just seemed like certain parts didn't come together as smoothly as I would have hoped to see. I'm extremely excited for the possibility of another Lipwig book though; he's one of my favorite DW characters.
"You know how to pray, don't you? You just put your hands together and hope."
SpyViolette

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels