An Evening With Sir Terry Pratchett

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 pm

I agree I do prefer the fast stuff, the missus adores the slow stuff though... :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby PoohKarrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Why do under 21s require proof of age to purchase beer? :?
PoohKarrot

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:49 pm

PoohKarrot wrote:Why do under 21s require proof of age to purchase beer? :?

It's to do with licensing laws - the drinks licence doesn't come with the venue and with anything do with temporary events like gigs the organisers have to jump through all kinds of H&S hoops mainly to do with security and first aid, but also to stop underage drinking and 21 is deemed more 'responsible' than 18 in that they won't be buying drinks for much younger mates (in theory). :roll:

As it is the accompanying adults probably get it for the under 18s but it's just part of the deal
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 pm

PoohKarrot wrote:Why do under 21s require proof of age to purchase beer? :?

Oh don't get me started.

The age you can legally buy alcohol in the UK is 18. Why the fupp the supermarkets all have "Under 21" posters up is beyond me.

:roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby DaveC » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Paranoia of serving someone underage - some places have a think 25 policy to be safe, - you've seen my picture, I'm screwed till I'm 40 at this rate, got I D for a Lottery ticket this week and you've got to be 16 for that...!

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 pm

PoohKarrot wrote:I don't think that 35 quid is expensive. :?
How much does a band cost to watch nowadays, or how much to watch MU play?

I bet MU cost more than TP and I know who I'd rather watch. :D

I don't have a job, so maybe my opinion is skewed. But I still think it sounds expensive.

Muse were a lot less than £35. And considering how long ago that was, it was a bargain (since I don't really get to go any more). I pay about £15 to see the Weddoes, and I'd rather see them twice than hear Terry talk about Snuff once (actually I'd still rather see them just once than hear Terry, but then I can read the book at my leisure).

MU cost £39, but in actual fact that's what it cost Mr Dotsie cos he wanted the company.

When I went to hear Iain Banks talking about his latest release, it was free. And he signed two books for me :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:58 pm

DaveC wrote:Paranoia of serving someone underage

Exactly. They don't stop under 21s buying alcohol, you're just more likely to have to prove your age if you're 18-20.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby PoohKarrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Are you sure Muse were a lot less than 35 quid last year in Manchester. :?
PoohKarrot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 pm

:roll: I'll see if I still have the ticket. But since I didn't pay for that either, does it really matter? £35 to see Terry speaking about his book is expensive. Mr Moneybags can spend his money on what he likes, but I think it's a dear do.
Dotsie

Postby PoohKarrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I found it! :D

"13 Nov 2009 – Muse Tickets. Muse have announced two massive stadium shows for summer 2010. ... Tickets go on sale from 9am next Friday (November 20) and cost £45 for Manchester and £45 to £65 in London."
PoohKarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Dotsie wrote:
DaveC wrote:Paranoia of serving someone underage

Exactly. They don't stop under 21s buying alcohol, you're just more likely to have to prove your age if you're 18-20.

Then why don't the posters say "Over 18? You may be asked to prove it" or something.

I've read of stories where a woman and her daughter were in the supermarket doing the weekly shop, and they've refused to sell the woman a bottle of wine because her daughter was with her, and it "may be for her".

:roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby PoohKarrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 pm

It's Cameron's Big Society to blame! :twisted:
PoohKarrot

Postby DaveC » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:08 pm

PoohKarrot wrote:It's Cameron's Big Society to blame! :twisted:

Predates him.

Check out my short film!

This Is...
DaveC

Postby PoohKarrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:14 pm

It's Thatcher/Blair's Big Society to blame. :roll:
PoohKarrot

Postby Dotsie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:26 pm

PoohKarrot wrote:I found it! :D

"13 Nov 2009 – Muse Tickets. Muse have announced two massive stadium shows for summer 2010. ... Tickets go on sale from 9am next Friday (November 20) and cost £45 for Manchester and £45 to £65 in London."

It wasn't a massive stadium show, which was at Old Trafford, it was in the student's union, because I COULDN'T AFFORD A MASSIVE STADIUM SHOW.

When you make people feel bad just to try and look clever, are you doing it deliberately, or are you just really thoughtless? Oh no, wait, you would never do that, how could I even suggest it?
Dotsie

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett