Waterstone's To Drop 3-for-2 Deals

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Waterstone's To Drop 3-for-2 Deals

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Waterstone's has announced it will end its 3-for-2 deals on books in September after more than 10 years.

The promotion is expected to be withdrawn this month and replaced by a new pricing structure which will see books sold for £3, £5 and £7.

The bookstore chain was bought by Russian businessman Alexander Mamut earlier this year.

Managing director James Daunt has vowed to shake up the chain amid flagging sales and customer dissatisfaction.

Many publishers have welcomed the move to abandon the 3-for-2 promotion which has dominated the shops' sales in recent years.

Ursula Mackenzie, chair of the Trade Publishers' Council at the Publishers Association, told industry magazine The Bookseller that it was "a good thing".

"I'm not sure that the 3-for-2 is what people are looking for. They want one book, at the cheapest possible price."

But it has also been argued that the offer often gave exposure to lesser known authors who became the third book alongside two bestsellers.

"Without the support of being thrown into promotions featuring today's star names, those authors may find the going tougher," said David Prosser in The Independent.

Waterstone's, which has faced increased competition from online stores such as Amazon, and the rapid growth of e-books, will be hoping for strong sales over the Christmas period.

In an internal email sent in July, Mr Daunt said he would be working closely with shops "to ensure that as we enter the crucial final quarter of the year, we do so with our shops stocked to the best possible effect".
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Pearwood » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:56 pm

From a self-serving point-of-view, I like the idea. I'm such a slow reader that it's rare I would want to pick up 3 books at once so I rarely took advantage of 3 for 2.
Pearwood

Postby Tiffany » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 pm

The only time I took advantage of the 3 for 2 was when I was collecting the Terry Pratchett paperbacks, when I first started reading his books. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby pip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Seems fair. Having to go in for one new book and getting three was a pain in the ass.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:06 pm

You don't HAVE to buy 3, do you?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm

no but the reduction they should be giving you is absorbed into the 3 for 2 :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby PoohKarrot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 pm

So China, me old china, you buy Greece and Portugal and we'll throw in Ireland too. And that's cutting the EU's throat, that is! :D
Last edited by PoohKarrot on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoohKarrot

Postby Willem » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:30 pm

I bought more than half my Pratchett paperbacks at Waterstone's in London during holidays there at 3 for 2 so I'll miss them sentimentally. But these days it's all online orders. I'm all for supporting local bookstores but seriously, the difference is huge - about 33% to 50% cheaper for English books in the Netherlands.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby meerkat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:48 pm

I'll miss that 3 for 2. I can really go through books like a .303 bookworm when I get the urge! Shame. But let's hope the £3 covers the good stuff too!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Penfold » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:56 pm

The only time I took advantage of the 3 for 2 was at Christmas when I was buying presents. :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby DaveC » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Tiffany wrote:The only time I took advantage of the 3 for 2 was when I was collecting the Terry Pratchett paperbacks, when I first started reading his books. :D

Ditto, so I welcome the change to cheaper books overall. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Dotsie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Penfold wrote:The only time I took advantage of the 3 for 2 was at Christmas when I was buying presents. :wink:

Same here, but usually i still got them online. I haven't bought a book in a shop in ages. Actually, I haven't bought a book for myself in ages.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:32 pm

I have a famous resistance to buy one get one free type thingies of any kind 'cos usually you'll just get something extra that you don't need/want. Even with books, unless you're at the start of a series you want to collect it can be hard to find 3 you truly absolutely want and have to have. :roll:

I think with me it goes back to the book club mentality when they used to (probably still do?) a package to lure into getting a book a month deal or whatever during a sdale and then suddenly all those great books you fancied in the sale suddenly dry up and you end up grubbing around to find your quota and just end up with something you never really wanted in the first place. :(

Either way the deal you get ultimately isn't one that works in your favour necessarily - I can see there being lots of OK books out there for 7 quid and utter dross for 3 anyway :(
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby chris.ph » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:56 pm

it used to save me a fortune b4 i was online now amazon costs me a fortune :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby meerkat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 pm

I thought your Missus stopped you? :lol: :wink:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books