Do I have a valuable book?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Do I have a valuable book?

Postby nic652 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 pm

I have a copy of Pyramids by Guild publishing 1989. My friend thinks that this might be a valuable book, however I hate to sound stupid but I do not know how to tell as it does not have a ISBN and inside just has a CN 6682. Can anyone tell me what this means? Thanks for your time!
nic652

Postby michelanCello » Mon May 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi there, nic652, welcome! :D I have no idea, but maybe our friend pooh here knows something about it :wink: He's very keen on Pyramids :wink:
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Re: Do I have a valuable book?

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon May 30, 2011 8:36 pm

nic652 wrote:I have a copy of Pyramids by Guild publishing 1989. My friend thinks that this might be a valuable book, however I hate to sound stupid but I do not know how to tell as it does not have a ISBN and inside just has a CN 6682. Can anyone tell me what this means? Thanks for your time!
Sorry but that is a book club edition which later became known as BCA (BOOK CLUB ASSOCIATES) and has no IBSN or a price on it's inside cover, very unlikely to be valauble some of the book clubs books were reduced in size to the same as a paperback and called club editions.

Oh! and welcome to the forum nic652. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby spideyGirl » Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 pm

Welcome nic652!

Wouldn't know I'm afraid, never thought of checking to see if any of mine are valuable tbh, but now...

*runs off to check library even tho has no idea what to look for*
spideyGirl

Postby Tonyblack » Mon May 30, 2011 8:45 pm

As you can see HERE the CN 6682 number does indeed refer to the BCA edition. There appear to have been only 11,500 copies of this particular version.

I hope that helps and isn't too much of a disappointment.

Welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby RJH » Mon May 30, 2011 8:55 pm

Still if you are looking to sell it, drop me a pm :wink:
RJH

Postby nic652 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi all, thankyou for the warm welcome and the quick response to my question, to be perfectly honest I adore my books but only reason I have asked is because I am out of work and unfortunately will have to part with a few of my treasures.
Do have another out of my collection which I may have to part with, Wyrd Sisters. Info inside is as follows:
Firstpublished in great britian 1988 by Victor Gollanz Ltd, 14 Henrietta street, London WC2E 8QJ
Terry and Lyn Pratchett 1988
British library cataloguing in publication data
Pratchett,Terry 1948-
Wyrd Sisters
I.Title
823'.914[F]
ISBN 0-575-04363-6

The same friend rekons this is a first edition, once again apologies for my ignorance when it comes to book valuations but I am usually only interested in purchasing Terry Pratchett books and have never thought of selling before, but needs must as they say! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Once again thanks to all :)
nic652

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 am

If it has the numbers 1 to 10 or 0 to 9 it will be a 1st edition 1st printing look for an earlier post which has a more indepth explanation. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue May 31, 2011 12:03 am

spideyGirl wrote:Welcome nic652!

Wouldn't know I'm afraid, never thought of checking to see if any of mine are valuable tbh, but now...

*runs off to check library even tho has no idea what to look for*
spidey look on the page Where the IBSN is. :)
Who's Wee Dug

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:34 am

Welcome to the site nic 652! Run on over to the Welcome and Introduce yourself thread so we can all say hello.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby meerkat » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 pm

After a hard day, I return home feeling mean and distinctly miserly. I have a question and perhaps someone can answer it?

I have two hard back copies of UA. One is signed (from Kidby Discworld Artwork, so it's pukka), the other is not signed.

The signed one does not have football cards whereas the unsigned one does.

Is one book more collectable (eventually) than the other or could I just change the dust jackets (one has the stricker saying there are footbal cards in it) and stick the playing cards into the signed one?

yes,... that's right.....
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 am

I'm only guessing here, but I would imagine that the one with the footy cards would be the most common and thus less valuable from the rarity point of view.

Alternatively, the cards are not affixed very well inside the book (mine have fallen out a couple of times despite my being careful) so I imagine that the two are likely to become separated over time, thus increasing their rarity.

This probably doesn't help but I would go for the signed copy. :P
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby pip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 am

I have the cards kept seperate :D
i agree with penners though . Definitely the signed one . Unlike Terrys earlier books he signs a lot less now :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby meerkat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:15 am

ok, guys, thanks, I'll keep them as they are for now!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby pip » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:16 am

Sure you'd never sell em anyway :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Next

Return to Discworld novels