Names of Characters in Foreign Editions.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:19 am

hattie wrote:Just as if English people would call them "krauts".

Just as if some English people would.... :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby meerkat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks Hattie :) , that makes a lot of sense now!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby hattie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Some...English people...
like SOME Austrians use it...no, actually all Austrians use it...

OH..does it make sense?? I hope so :D
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat.
hattie

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Don't worry about it. :D

It's just that a lot of people (myself included) class "krauts" as rascist. :P
poohcarrot

Postby hattie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:53 pm

REALLY?!? wow...didn't know that. You learn more every day!
"Piefke" is only racist in a more or less nice way..... if that's possible at all. :?

It's part of this dilemma the Austrians have: thinking their country is much more important than it actually is. Apparently the whole population gut stuck in the Austro-hungarian monarchy when Austria was HUGE (compared to other countries in Europe :D ) and had a LOT to say politically. Well, now Austria is tiny and that's why most of the people look at Germany and think: we had a country that size once...grumble...but we have the better food and the cooler dialects and we're the cooler people...who cares if Germany has more to say politically in Europe..pah...Piefkes. I think that's how it works 8) we're much cooler
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat.
hattie

Postby deldaisy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:08 pm

michelanCello wrote:
hattie wrote:Of course I've seen Bienvenue chez les Cht'is. Hilarious!!!!

Totally agree :lol:

Brilliant movie!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLRTtHByPn4
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:08 pm

Actually, the Brits who use offensive words like "Krauts" or "Frogs" still believe that Britain is actually GREAT Britain, when in fact, like Austria, it's a pretty insignificant country that once had an empire and "ruled the waves." :D

(I might get some stick for that from Daily Bounce readers. :?)
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Oh I meant to ask: How does the Nac Mac Feegle translate in foreign editions? The way they talk..... Always wondered that.

Edit: stuff like this: "Crivens! Whut aboot us, ye daftie"
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:21 pm

I know that in Dutch the Feegles say Jammer de jammer instead of waily waily
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby deldaisy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Have you read the english and the dutch versions Sjoerd? And if you did... did it "translate"
deldaisy

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:47 pm

I haven't read the Tiffany books in Dutch, the translator read part of Wee Free men(de vrijgemaakte ortjes in Dutch) to us in Rotterdam.

I've read a few Discworld books in Dutch and overall the Dutch translations aren't bad :wink: Mind you the translator himself said it's impossible to translate Terry Pratchett :lol:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby deldaisy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:51 pm

True... but Feegle is a whole other language translated into a whole other language! I can't see how it would work. Anyone else read the Tiffany books in another language?
deldaisy

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:53 pm

deldaisy wrote:True... but Feegle is a whole other language translated into a whole other language! I can't see how it would work. Anyone else read the Tiffany books in another language?
There are lots of dialects in the Netherlands, it would be (I imagine) quite easy to give the Feegles one of them. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
deldaisy wrote:True... but Feegle is a whole other language translated into a whole other language! I can't see how it would work. Anyone else read the Tiffany books in another language?
There are lots of dialects in the Netherlands, it would be (I imagine) quite easy to give the Feegles one of them. :wink:

The translator gave them the dialect of the region he grew up in :wink:
I think it was Zaans
Sjoerd3000

Postby Willem » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I read some Dutch translations way, way back when I first started reading Pratchett (my sister had a couple of English books, when I finished those I tried the Dutch versions).

In general, they aren't bad. But as noted: it's hard to translate books of this kind: Soul Music really put me off since you could see the translator trying to bring the band name puns to life and failing. So on the next trip to London I stocked up on 3 for 2 Pratchetts and haven't looked back since. This goes for other authors too: if I've got the original language version available (and can read that language) I'll always pick that over a translation.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels