I need help

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Kneazle1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:49 am

Have you read any Margaret Atwood? Personally I'd recommend The Handmaids Tale, Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood by her. I suppose I'd call them post-apocolyptic, dystopian near future, feminist science fiction and cracking good reads.

Also I enjoy Tom Holt's writing, Who's Afraid of Beowulf is my favourite - product description from Amazon -"The last Norse king of Caithness, Hrolf Earthstar and his 12 champions are woken from a centuries-long sleep when an archaeologist finds their grave. He decides to carry on his ancient war against the Sourcerer-King, and must face such perils as BBC film crews and the Bakerloo line along the way."
Kneazle1

Postby Dotsie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:55 am

Kneazle1 wrote:Have you read any Margaret Atwood? Personally I'd recommend The Handmaids Tale, Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood by her. I suppose I'd call them post-apocolyptic, dystopian near future, feminist science fiction and cracking good reads.

Seconded :)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:57 am

The better half just finished Year of the Flood and raves about how great it is. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby archerinwood » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:54 am

Neil gaiman's graveyard book
Please help by looking at my discworld stamp trading list: http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/ ... 80#p612380
archerinwood

Postby Quatermass » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Oh! There are so many books I can recommend to you. But if we are talking a science fiction book series, may I suggest the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold? A most excellent blend of political intrigue, action, and humour.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 pm

archerinwood wrote:Neil gaiman's graveyard book

Love it. Great call. Hoping for a sequel with the secret society versus the undead group. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby deldaisy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Independant People by Halldor Laxness.

He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1955.

The book is about an Icelandic sheep farmer. Its not a light read, but it is my favourite book ever (and I have read alot of books) and I rarely have favourites in anything in life. This book will stay in your soul and live with you. Its harsh and dark and cruel, but Laxness writes like a painter... you fall into his pages so deeply you may want to rug up against the cold. It has pages and pages of men talking about sheep and the diseases of sheep.... but if you read closely, they are talking about more than sheep. Highly political too (as was Laxness) but the political overtones are as seen through the eyes of a very simplistic sheep farmer (or so he thinks) believing he is purely farming sheep and living from one day to the next (sometimes one hour to the next) yet all the while having the cataclismic forces of a world war (unseen and ignored) driving his greed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_People
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby WannabeAngua » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Sjoerd3000 wrote:George Martin A Song of Ice and Fire. I finished book 2 a few weeks ago, and so far it's really good 8)

I've just started reading his latest, the fifth, and they're all really good.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Antiq » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:24 am

Dotsie, yes, I've read the Bronte's :D

Tony, got Book Thief sitting on my shelf right now. My daughter told me I MUST read it :lol:

Del, anyone who writes like a painter appeals to me greatly.

The rest of you lot, recommendations noted, listed, and will do :D

This is brilliant, I have enough here to last me quite a while, thank you all!
Carpe Jugulum
Antiq

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books