Jobs!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:49 am

I've said it before but I'll also say it again; Best wishes for the interview Dave! :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby michelanCello » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:56 am

Good luck with the interview, Dave! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Selkie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:22 am

Hope the interview goes well and they hire you on the spot! :)
Selkie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Know you'll really go for it - just don't end up like this guy if you do get it huh :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby meerkat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:19 pm

ROFL! :lol:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Good luck Dave
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby deldaisy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Good luck Dave.

If you DO get the job remember that you have a goal... its easy to take a job to pay the bills (and don't we all have to at times) and to get sidelined from where we were heading.

I used to lecture for a company that helped people who were unemployed and looking for a new direction. (It was the era of the big takeovers and people who thought they had a job for life were suddenly jobless and thought they had only one set of skills)

Don't just look to your degrees or qualifications. Everyone has skills that are "transferable" to alot of careers and job placements.

We had one lady who was in IT but when we dug further discovered she regularly catered and organised for huge family events.... from cooking or organising caterers, to booking hotels for relatives, to checking who was speaking to whom so Aunty Beryl didn't sit near Uncle Fred. She turned out to be the perfect events organiser.

One young boy with not much schooling or skills got so inspired about "keeping his eyes open for opportunities" leapt off the bus one morning on the way to the classes and, having noticed the grubby windows in a whole row of up market stores every morning from the bus, offered his services for free to clean all the windows. He ended up having the contract for the stores who recommended him to other business.

I don't know what you did in the film course or what the opportunities are in the UK... but open your eyes.

Real Estate whether it up OR down trending always needs an edge in getting a property noticed. There is a trend here now of not just virtual tours with photos but with films of the houses.

Weddings hun. No matter what the economy people always pay out ridiculous amounts of money for them and one of the biggest payouts is for the pics and films of the event. The UK wedding business is one of the biggest in the country.

Just a few ideas. Like I said, I have NO idea what your qualifications entail.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby DaveC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Thanks for the advice Del. :)

In my film course I basically learned about watched and wrote essays about films and culture. I did a bit of practical work but not much.
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby poohcarrot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:40 pm

You and you soon-to-be Mrs should come to Japan and be assistant teachers in a Junior High School for a couple of years to get some pennies saved up.
If you've both got degrees, should be no problem. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby DaveC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:17 am

Sounds like a plan, she could do with chop stick practise, she's crap :lol: Or is that stereotyping and you hardly use them? :?
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 am

poohcarrot wrote:You and you soon-to-be Mrs should come to Japan and be assistant teachers in a Junior High School for a couple of years to get some pennies saved up.
If you've both got degrees, should be no problem. :D

How hard is it to live in Japan if neither of you speaks the language though? I mean, we didn't starve to death, and I always found the public lavs, but we never had to try the supermarket.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:32 am

I eat with chopsticks maybe twice as much as with a knife and fork. :D
(If you're Mrs has the wooden chopsticks, a good tip is two snap them in two before eating. :wink:)

Dotsie, you don't have to speak in a supermarket, you know. :roll:

Anyhoos, everyone comes to Japan knowing none of the lingo. :D

With the pound low at the moment, the minimum you would earn would be about 1,700 quid a month. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Dotsie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:53 am

poohcarrot wrote:Dotsie, you don't have to speak in a supermarket, you know. :roll:

Being able to identify what I'm buying and how much I'm spending would be handy though :roll:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:17 am

Well, I have an interview myself tomorrow.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

Good luck Q. Stay calm :wink:
Hope it goes well :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum