Nation

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:06 pm

I was a bit surprised to see that the signing wasn't mentioned on Broadhurst's website. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby denzal26 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:38 pm

Hi i was wondering would anyone know how early to get to the piccadilly store as i've never been to a book signing before(don't really know what to expect). I know its at 2pm but are we talking over night or 9 in the morning, I'm coming off nights so don't whether i need to through a sickie. Any help would be appreciated.
denzal26

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:51 am

Get there as early as possible. There will be a huge queue. At least two hours earlier will get you in the queue - possibly near the front.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:25 am

It's generally accepted that Terry will sign a couple of items (sometimes they insist on one item) per person. Some people take the mickey and turn up with their whole set of books and expect them to be signed - and Terry usually obiges. But not only is that unfair on everyone else queuing, it's also unfair on Terry as he suffers from repetative strain injury to his wrist and I've seen him at signings with his wrist in a bowl of ice water.

Please be a bit thoughtful when you go to a signing. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 am

Tonyblack wrote:It's generally accepted that Terry will sign a couple of items (sometimes they insist on one item) per person. Some people take the mickey and turn up with their whole set of books and expect them to be signed - and Terry usually obiges. But not only is that unfair on everyone else queuing, it's also unfair on Terry as he suffers from repetative strain injury to his wrist and I've seen him at signings with his wrist in a bowl of ice water.

Please be a bit thoughtful when you go to a signing. :)

Perhaps next time I shall have more to say than just "'nk you" to show my grattitude.

It's not something I knew before now, but perhaps should have considered anyway. Given the volume of books he publishes at the pace he sometimes writes, I shouldn't be surprised about the repetative strain injury.

I am proud to say that the one oppertunity I had to attend a book signing, I didn't tax PTerry too much. Mainly because I took pity on him with the size of the queue (And that I had been in it for several hours and was trying NOT to think about running water).
Jinx

Postby Popcap » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:01 pm

awesome they(as in swedish online bookshop) got it now

...gonna order :D
Popcap

Postby denzal26 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Jason wrote:Get there as early as possible. There will be a huge queue. At least two hours earlier will get you in the queue - possibly near the front.

Cheers, appriciate the help.
denzal26

Hayling Island Bookshop

Postby samvimes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Just found out that this signing is only available to those with tickets and these have already been given out so it looks like Piccadilly it will have to be.
samvimes

Re: Hayling Island Bookshop

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 pm

samvimes wrote:Just found out that this signing is only available to those with tickets and these have already been given out so it looks like Piccadilly it will have to be.
Hi samvimes - yes, the shop on Hayling Island really is tiny. I think I read that they are so small they can only stock one of each book. :shock:

Let us know how you get on at the Piccadilly store. Have you decided what you're going to say to Terry yet? :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Colin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Tonyblack wrote: I think I read that they are so small they can only stock one of each book. :shock:

Erm ... if they can only stock one copy of each book ... who got the only ticket to the signing? :wink:
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Colin wrote:
Tonyblack wrote: I think I read that they are so small they can only stock one of each book. :shock:

Erm ... if they can only stock one copy of each book ... who got the only ticket to the signing? :wink:

Terry of course! He fancied a nice quiet day out by the seaside. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby catrine » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Colin wrote:

Terry of course! He fancied a nice quiet day out by the seaside. :wink:

there was a competition for 3 people at the front of the cue so terry must be behind them

Not the first time its happened :shock:
Describe the snake
"no legs - seamed to be mainly tail"
catrine

Tesco

Postby Swan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:55 am

As this book is not out till the 8th wasn't it nice to find my local tesco ad a full shelf last night.

Hope there are no prizes for weekly sales (mon-mon) as this can really split the figures

pm if you want a copy posted :lol:
Swan

Re: Tesco

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:51 pm

Swan wrote:As this book is not out till the 8th wasn't it nice to find my local tesco ad a full shelf last night.

Hope there are no prizes for weekly sales (mon-mon) as this can really split the figures

pm if you want a copy posted :lol:
Hi Swan and welcome! :D

I'll have to take a trip to my local Tesco I think. A long story, but Tesco putting their Pratchett books out too early is the reason that I got married last year. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby silverstreak » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Strolling through asda this morning I was rather surprised to find the long awaited Nation on sale.After a long debate with myself I finaly decided I might as well pick up a copy.The wait at the checkout seemed as long as I can ever remember and as I left the car park I think I laid some rubber down.So here we are on Sept.the fourth a proud owner of the long awaited tome.Let the joy be unconfined.
silverstreak

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books