That cabinet of curiousity...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

That cabinet of curiousity...

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Something to break your brain on:

We all know that you can take virtually everything from the cabinet as long as it fulfils certain specifications. And said thing has to be returned to the cabinet after a certain amount of time or otherwise it will return to the cabinet automatically.
Now, what if you'd take a box from the cabinet EVERYTHING can be fitted into, no matter the size.
And then put the cabinet into it?...

The universe has more than enough time to catch up with what the heck you've done there...
LilMaibe

Re: That cabinet of curiousity...

Postby Quatermass » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:34 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Something to break your brain on:

We all know that you can take virtually everything from the cabinet as long as it fulfils certain specifications. And said thing has to be returned to the cabinet after a certain amount of time or otherwise it will return to the cabinet automatically.
Now, what if you'd take a box from the cabinet EVERYTHING can be fitted into, no matter the size.

The universe has more than enough time to catch up with what the heck you've done there...

The phrase "Divided by zero" and "Oh SH-" spring to mind.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby poohcarrot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:45 am

Quatermass wrote:The phrase "Divided by zero" and "Oh SH-" spring to mind.

Two phrases, surely? :?
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Quatermass wrote:The phrase "Divided by zero" and "Oh SH-" spring to mind.

Two phrases, surely? :?

Sorry, my mistake. But they are usually used in that meme to do with dividing by zero together, so...yeah.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm

No no no no no no noooooooooooooo.

Thats not allowed. Thats like getting three wishes and the last wish is to wish for a million trillion wishes. Its just not allowed! :wink:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:06 pm

deldaisy wrote:

No no no no no no noooooooooooooo.

Thats not allowed. Thats like getting three wishes and the last wish is to wish for a million trillion wishes. Its just not allowed! :wink:

Nu-uh, that's not the same. That is trying to be sneaky. The box thing is natural philosophy *nods sagely*
LilMaibe

Postby ChristianBecker » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:02 am

You're in for an "out of cheese error - restart universe".
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Penfold » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 am

Maybe someone braver than me can ask Sir Terry at next years Con? :wink:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:46 pm

but wait, they never said it would be returned to the cabinet, only that it would stop working (and i assume be stuck in whatever form its in at the time.)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby LilMaibe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:38 pm

the sandwich returned.
LilMaibe

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I think you would end up with the cabinet where the box had been after the time runs out. Even if it was placed in the box and the box was moved, regardless of the size of box. When the box returned, because of the nature of the cabinet it would be restored in whatever location the box had been in.
Ash

Return to Discworld novels