Volume Control... AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Volume Control... AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:51 pm

This may just be the time of year (my housemate insists on having a fan on in the living room when we get the merest hint of summer sun) but does anyone think that the volume of TV progs and especially adverts are getting exceptionally & unacceptably loud? :evil:

The TV volume is competing with the fan anyway :roll: but even so I find myself constantly wanting to tear the remote away from the housemate (I'd be dead if I touched the fan) as the already quite loud programmes' decibel levels suddenly soar upwards for the advert break and the adverts are almost without exception at rock concert level (OK so I'm exaggerating a bit but c'mon you know what I'm saying here :x )

It's almost certainly because the housemate is going deaf and the fan of course doesn't help, but I do prefer to be allowed to set my own level of bearable sound, not constantly have to adjust it in case I might be lured into buying some stupid cornflakes or a different sort of bloody ladyshave against my will... :(

I'd say thank gods for the remote but I strongly suspect they're actually behind this heinous variety of 'love-bombing' - it never happened when you had to get out of your couch-potato pit to turn a knob 2 or 3 yards away.... *mutters bitterly* :?
Last edited by Jan Van Quirm on Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:48 pm

When I'm here in Tucson we generally only ever watch PBS (Public Broadcast Service) that doesn't have adverts as such. When I've (rarely) gone to other stations, I find the adverts almost impossible to watch. Not only are they loud, the people in them seem to be on speed, trying to get as much info into the couple of minutes as possible. They really grate on my nerves. :evil:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:02 pm

sky is murder for wacking the volume up in the adverts :twisted:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Batty » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Jan, I'm constantly reducing the volume control during the adverts.
What's more, there are some programmes that are so quiet that I have to turn the volume up - and then have my ears blasted when the adverts come on, which then has me scrabbling for the volume control... and I then have to turn it up again when the advert finishes ...
:x
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:31 pm

You can set the volume level on the newer tv's that supposed to set a level which does not change when the adverts come on.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Hah! Yeah we have one of those WWD.... allegedly! :evil:

It is an older digital model so maybe it's had the mastering for volume knackered? Also it's absolutely crap for DVD volume - those are so bloody quiet you have to whack up to full virtually... can't flipping win! :x
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Batty wrote:Jan, I'm constantly reducing the volume control during the adverts.
What's more, there are some programmes that are so quiet that I have to turn the volume up - and then have my ears blasted when the adverts come on, which then has me scrabbling for the volume control... and I then have to turn it up again when the advert finishes ...
:x

Yes, they push it to the FULL LEGAL LIMIT! The show producers know full well and are in collusion with the people who pay their bills.

I want one of the newer televisions that can make the commercials muted. I Hate them.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Ezekiel000 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:17 am

I just mute advert breaks, but also I watch most TV recorded on V+ so no advert breaks most of the time.
Ezekiel000

Postby boohoo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:06 am

Who really watches adverts now a days, me I've got the remote in my had before the music has time to stop and I'm happily flicking away (drives everyone mental :lol: )
Don't Get Mad, Get a Lawyer
This thread is sponsored by the Lawyers' Guild
LVCRE SERMAT
boohoo

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 am

:lol: Yeah Boo Hoo *resists urge to call you Boo Boo as per Yogi* :oops:

But the trouble is a lot of adverts breaks are tuned around the hour (except for the BBC but on there it's either always Eastenders *reaches for projectile weapon* or even one of their 'not-an-advert-lasting-3-minutes for a repeat.... :evil: ). In fact surfing during ad breaks is even more annoying as you then get a cacophany of volumes in x many jingles everywhere else...

Is this the reason why I spend most of my time online with the sound OFF! :x
Jan Van Quirm

Postby superfurryandy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:15 pm

It is annoying - Bill Hicks had it right when he spoke on advertising.
superfurryandy

Postby superfurryandy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:21 pm

superfurryandy

Postby Tiffany » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:47 pm

The loudness of adverts does annoy me as well.
My 92 year old Mother, who is going deaf, though she denies it, has her T.V. volume so high you can't here yourself think, let alone talk. :roll: Good job she lives in a detached bungalow. :)
She has still got her C/Hing on as well, :roll: but that's going off topic. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Jason » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:02 pm

There are two things that affect the volume.

The physical volume of the recording and a thing called compression.

I believe adverts can go about 20% louder that the programmes around them but they can also squash the compression so that more of the sound is in the up levels this magnifies the volume increase.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Straw Walker » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Ezekiel000 wrote:I just mute advert breaks, but also I watch most TV recorded on V+ so no advert breaks most of the time.

The PVR is the only way to watch commercial TV. No sound at all on the ads at 32 times FF but you do have to be a bit quick on the play button.

Many of the commercial channels now seem to pad out the adverts with 'in house' previews to increase the break length up to five minutes. :x
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Next

Return to TV, film, theatre