Do the elephants get bored?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Do the elephants get bored?

Postby Conspiracy Theory » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:19 pm

A'Tuin obviously has things to do, the tiny creatures crawling all over the disc seem very busy indeed, but the elephants just stand there holding up the world.

Do you suppose they get bored?
Conspiracy Theory

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:55 pm

I have a vague recollection of something about them catching meteors and playing catch with each other somewhere or over (or I could have dreamt it after eating too much cheese or drinking too much beer... :roll: )

They have those lovely trunks free anyway so perhaps they help Great A'tuin avoid astral obstacles or swat stuff that gets too close? Perhaps that was it - they play cricket/baseball/softball with their trunks to divert incoming space dross :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:24 pm

I have a theory that the elephants catch the water from the Rimfall with their trunks and squirt it up into the atmosphere where it comes down as rain. They've got an important job to do. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Batty » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Tony, that is a brilliant idea! I can just imagine them doing it, too.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby kakaze » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I have a vague recollection of something about them catching meteors and playing catch with each other somewhere or over (or I could have dreamt it after eating too much cheese or drinking too much beer... :roll: )

They have those lovely trunks free anyway so perhaps they help Great A'tuin avoid astral obstacles or swat stuff that gets too close? Perhaps that was it - they play cricket/baseball/softball with their trunks to divert incoming space dross :lol:

I think you're thinking of this:

The Colour of Magic wrote:Great A’Tuin the Turtle, upon Whose ancient and meteor-riddled shell the disc ultimately rests. Sometimes, in His slow journey across the shores of infinity, He moves His countrysized head to snap at a passing comet.

I remember another case when A'Tuin rolled to prevent a passing comet or meteor from hitting the disc, but I can't remember where I read that.
kakaze

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:09 am

kakaze wrote:I remember another case when A'Tuin rolled to prevent a passing comet or meteor from hitting the disc, but I can't remember where I read that.

I think that that was from Thief of Time, IIRC. When the wizards or Astrophysists were wondering why the Disc moved one day, but they did not see the meteor get eaten.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Return to The Broken Drum