Favourite bit of Unseen Academicals (may contain spoilers)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:01 am

Tonyblack wrote:It helps if you are from the Carry On films generation. :lol:

And from England...

As for the translation of that part:
I doubt even if it would have been easier it would have been a mess with the new translator... He makes them books read like a dry guide on grammar :x
LilMaibe

Postby Alrik Fassbauer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:42 am

Which makes me feel glad I switched over to the English-language originals ... Which I can recommend, by the way, for learning English.

I had been reading my first English-language books without knowing everything, and Pterry definitively uses words which are a bit difficult to understand (simply because they aren't frequently used in literature, in forums etc.), and I really didn't want to look after ... every tenth word or so in my dictionary.

So, with this, I learned quite a "feeling" for the language ... rather than specific words.

In the course of time I found out (and sometimes looked for) the words I didn't know via my English-language dictionary, but often via deducing from the context alone (which is able to give a word's meaning a slight distortion).

I'm still proud I managed to read through LOTR 10 years ago ... I think I should do it again now, since I've definitively leaned much more words then than.

But what escapes me is the sublte subliminal sub-meanings (sub, sub, sub), which are there because or when words remind people of other words. This can be found quite a lot with Tolkien, because for example his Hobbit-names are distant "reminders" of actual English words. "Peregrin Tuk", for example.

This is my biggest hassle in reading and understanding English-language books - apart from rarelöy used words which sometimes even aren't in my own English-language dictionaries situated on my bookshelf.

The worst drawback is, however, that I'm beginning to mix German & English grammar. I'm active in several internationl forums - always writing & reading in English, of course - and that just adds up.
Alrik Fassbauer

Postby LilMaibe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:38 am

Something just occurred to me:
‘I’m glad you feel like that, Archchancellor, because I know that a number of the students—’
(from Ponder, just before that rowing bit)

any word of god how THAT sentence was suppossed to end?
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 am

:lol: Not sure at all. Ponder seems to be trying to delicately explain that Bengo was gay or bisexual. He knows Ridcully and how difficult it can be to get him to see the bloody obvious and, of course, Ponder finds such things difficult to talk about in the first place.

But then it seems that he has gotten through to Ridcully a lot easier than he'd expected to.

What he was going to say about the students is not known. Maybe: Many of the students are gay and afraid to come out about it. Who knows? :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 am

Perhaps Prof Macarona had propositioned some of the students? :evil:
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:44 am

Tonyblack wrote:What he was going to say about the students is not known. Maybe: Many of the students are gay and afraid to come out about it. Who knows? :D

Or they could be homophobic and Ponder is pleased that Ridcully clearly isn't. I think the fact that Terry left that incomplete was a very good way of handling the issue as it just leaves every possibility open :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby meerkat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:47 am

Bengo must be gay cos I quite 'like' Bengo!

All men I fancy turn out to be gay! :cry:
meerkat

Postby hattie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 pm

"Aho, the Megapode".. loved that bit...and of course the not-really-german titles of the books Nutt quotes :-)

What made me think a lot was all the talk about "worth" and Glenda saying something like "it's as if worth was something that drained away and that you had to keep filling up".
Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat.
hattie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:54 pm

There really is such a thing as a megapode. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Macarona » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:05 pm

I liked Macaronas titles, de wordes commentary and Nutt beating up Andy. I loved the match in general as well. The dean is now evil :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :evil: Oh and the megapode chasing :P
"'I believe you were an alcoholic sir Samuel'
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
The fifth elephant/The wit and wisdom of discworld
Macarona

Postby LilMaibe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm

Macarona wrote:The dean is now evil :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :evil:

Since when O_o
He just left an UU that went totally cuckoo in comparsion to the older books
LilMaibe

Postby meerkat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:24 pm

When does the Dean as was, turn Evil? He only left the UU cos he wanted to be Archancellor, wouldn;t say that was evil.

Do miss the burser though!
meerkat

Postby Macarona » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Ridcully is amazing (if slightly useless) and the dean is constantly pretencious stuck up and annoying I'm not sure when he becomes it but in science of discworld hes annoying. I hope the chicken kills him. :D
'No,' said Vimes. 'I was a drunk you have to be richer than I was to be an alcoholic'"
Macarona

Postby meerkat » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:07 pm

The Dean, or Two Chairs, is meant to be a foil for Ridcully to humiliate, as the Dean Wants desperately to be Arch Chancellor. I like the Dean, He's a prat!
meerkat

Postby Macarona » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:31 pm

meerkat wrote:He's a prat!
Exactly my point and now that he has power in UA ridcully finds it hard to humiliate him.
Macarona

PreviousNext

Return to Latest books