Eric Discussion **Spoilers**

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Complete amateur that Pratchett, can't even come up with a basic naming ceremony, hasn't a clue :roll: :lol:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Don't they refer to Magrat and Verence's baby having a naming ceremony? :?

This was an extended storyline though, a throughaway reference wouldn't do. People would be forever talking about it :P
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Interesting that in Lancre it doesn't seem to matter what priest does the ceremony but you need a ceremony to tell the child what her name is and introduce her to the community and you need a priest to do it
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I guess if you have several gods and you actually know they exist, then it's not so important which priest you get. But Lancre feels like a pagan place I suppose. Maybe there's some jobs only a priest can do.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:30 am

You have two weeks to read or reread Interesting Times for the discussion starting on Monday 1st August. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Yay! :D

Eric's done pretty well though - much better than I thought it would to get to 5 pages :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:32 pm

That's almost as long as the book :P
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 am

You now have one week to read or reread Interesting Times for the discussion starting Monday 1st August. :D
Tonyblack

Re:

Postby Durvasha » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:07 am

ChristianBecker wrote:
Come to think about it, are Muslims christened/ baptized? What about Hindus etc.?

Necromancy :mrgreen: :D

I do not know about the Muslims but Hindus definitely have a elaborate naming ceremony. So elaborate, it differs from place to place, culture to culture, caste to caste ... whatever you name it. As for water, in any Hindu ceremony, Holy water is sprinkled over all gathered to purify (or maybe to grant extra good karma, I am unsure) them. It is done at the end of the ceremony though, and with all steps, the naming can be as long as six hours :roll:

By the way, Hi Boardizens, glad to meet you.
Durvasha

Re: Eric Discussion **Spoilers**

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Welcome to the forum,Durvasha. :)
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Pleased to meet you, Durvasha! :D And thanks for your insights on Hindu naming ceremonies.

I guess it's quite common to make sure a sprog knows what its name is. :mrgreen:
Tonyblack

Postby Penfold » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Hellooo and welcome Durvasha. :D

I found THIS LINK to some naming ceremonies around the world. I don't know how accurate it is and it does seem to generalise but I thought some might find it interesting reading. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Durvasha » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:12 am

That link does generalize a lot. And as I said, the Naming Ceremony among hindus is so different, it cannot do all of them justice :D.

Among Hindus in Nepal, the naming is done on the tenth day. The Annaprasan has no relation to naming, it is just the first day that the baby is given solid food. It is on fifth month for girls and sixth on boys in Nepal. I did not know buddhist did it too, but yeah, the first letter of the name is suggested by the birth time for Hindus. In fact, there are 27 Nakshatra (some special stars) which comprise different parts of zodiac. Each day is assigned a Nakshatra (in cycle. If today is Aswini, tomorrow is Bharini, the third is Krittika etc etc.). Each Nakshatra has four parts, each bearing a letter. For example, Aswini's letters are Chu, Che, Cho, La. so, if somebody is born during first six hours of the Aswini's day, his/her name MUST begin with Chu. and that person's zodiac will be Aries.That is a simplified version of the naming system. :mrgreen:

The letters are funny, and the name comes out funnier. Now a days, anyone has two names. One religious (that we hide out of shame :) ), and one for normal/academic/official use.

On the topic of the thread, I enjoyed Eric a lot. I enjoy all Pratchett's books. I mostly read them for laughs the first time, and then comb them philosophically the next time. I recently found this board and I never noticed many of the connections you guys are making. For me, the books are/were satirical, funny, light readings. I liked the unique twists of the wishes and I was happy that Rincewind has returned to the Discworld.

Apologies for any spelling/grammatical mistakes :D
Durvasha

Postby RoninJonny » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

I thought it was very good for what it was (a short, illustrated bit of fun). I especially loved Sir Terry's take on the Trojan/ Tsotean Wars, really funny and inventive. I can't think of anything I didn't like... well except one thing... the hat. The hat that a wizard always comes back for, it was a line in Sourcery that really got my imagination running, thinking about the next Rincewind novel. I can't remember if the book specifically said he had it, however the illustrations with him wearing it and the lack of him wanting it at least kinda made my excitable imagination trip up and land in the mud.

But that was only a tiny thing, maybe it is something he mentions in a later book (as I'm still working my way through them) or maybe not. It was just a concept from sourcery that I had really liked and was looking forward to reading.

Anyway, overall it was a great wee book that I did thoroughly enjoy! :)
RoninJonny

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels