Thief of Time

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Colour of Magic

Postby sparky » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Love this book - must have read it many times - one of my favourite quotes (although I could quote the whole book) is "At the top of the cellar steps Broadman knelt down and fumbled in his tinderbox. It turned out to be damp. 'I'll kill that bloody cat,' he muttered, and groped for the spare box that was normally on the ledge by the door. It was missing. Broadman said a bad word."

Makes me laugh out loud everytime I read it. I think its because there are all these very magical characters, who use the language of us normal (?) human beings and it makes for very funny juxtopositions.

What do you think makes Sir Terry's books so funny ?
sparky

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:43 pm

Great quote sparky, but I think that's from Colour of Magic rather than Thief of Time. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby FatRat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Foul ole Ron wrote:I have the Last Hero as an audiobook only so I'm not going to appreciate the illustrations obviously.

Does it stand up in it's own right?

I do like the character of Cohen the Barbarian very much & enjoyed Interesting Times a lot but I see it's short novel rather than the usual length.

I may listen to the audiobook in the car & leave Nightwatch to read.

erm yes and no the story is good and it has some great dialogue but you really do need to see the pictures to appreciate it. i suppose its the diffrence between reading a movie script, and seeing the movie if you get my drift.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

However, The Docter informs me that the choice is not mine to make.
FatRat

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:48 am

I really like this one, and has been stated manyn time a lot to digest in the number of threads that Terry took one, but is put together very nicely and seamlessly ***hint hint***!

What I really like about it is Briggs narration on the audio book. I work the nice shift and I listen to these as I work on my computer and Brigg's Lut-Ze is just hilarious!

I downloaded them to my old iPod, but when I got my iPod Touch for some reason all the tracks get jumbled. I tried downloading it from Audibles.com, but they do not have it for the US market. I need to request them to make it avalible for US customers!

Great book! Both in written and spoken form!
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Previous

Return to Discworld novels