:D
spideyGirl

Postby deldaisy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Beautiful Dirt wrote:
spideyGirl wrote:
deldaisy wrote:
Beautiful Dirt wrote:
meerkat wrote:Good choice, Spidey! :wink:

My trouble starts when it's a descision between Vetinari or Vimes! :?

If I was spoiling myself I'd go for both :twisted:

:lol: :lol: Me too. We are talking about to have over for dinner right?

Oh come on.... you can have more than one. Would you ask me to chose between my children?

Dinner and dessert :wink:
Don't forget the nightcap ;)

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirls.... you just stay there in the dining room and enjoy your food. :wink:

*leads Vetenari and Vimes up the hallway to look at her.....* Oh what the hell.... C'mere boys! :twisted:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby meerkat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Hands off Vetinari, Del. Handbags at ten paces etc etc!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby spideyGirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:34 pm

So Vetinari trumps Vimes then Meers? :D
spideyGirl

Postby meerkat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:45 pm

I'd have to say....yes. Only just mind you. :lol:
meerkat

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:01 pm

This is a Vimes and Carrot comparison, yet I have not seen Night Watch mentioned once.

I prefer Carrot, because books starring Vimes remind me too much of fanfictions. He always ends up in pain one way or another, and the words 'wince', 'grunt' and 'sigh' appear way too often. Not as often as in fanfictions though. My friend uses these things on Hellsing fanfictions revolving around Alucard for christ's sake, so maybe I am overreacting a little having seen a character hard as rock being turned into a mary sues in my friend's fanfictions. I can't bear to read any fanfictions any more because they all contain the same stories, and the majority of them on any topic seem to be written by fourteen year old girls, or by boys who can't spell a single word correctly. I haven't read any Discworld fanfictions except for some on here, for the reason that they may destroy my perception of the series.
{Although, in Twilight's case, the fanfictions are better than the books. And I am saying this as a collector of the Twilight books. ^^)

Also Carrot is a much more entertaining character for me than Vimes. Vimes is too in-depth for me. I know that is why he is loved. Perhaps when I finish reading 'Thud!' and get the plot out of the way, I can focus on Vimes himself. Carrot was a great knockback to Dwarfish stereotype, like the opposite of modern real 'dwarfs', which are just short people with an unfortunate illness.
I liked the Discworld books made around the end of Kirby's days, the middle bunch, because they were really funny and readable. The books made more recently were almost a bit of a drag for me to go through.

I'm with the young adults here who would vote Carrot :P every discworld fan I know from school really likes the earlier books, Guards or not.[/b]
Veni... Vici... Vetinari!
Cool Middle Name

Postby deldaisy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Haven't seen you around for a while Cool.... nice to see you again.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:10 pm

One thing fanfictions use that is NOT seen in any discworld book is unnecessary Hugging. How I hate seeing people who have the emotional ranges of a rock suddenly comforting each other with hugs.

PS: In 'Equal Rites', was that when we were first introduced to the 'million to one' theory? Granny Weatherwax said 'Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten'. Then it was reintroduced as a key theory in 'Guards! Guards!'

Hey, it's not just because of Carrot that I prefer the earlier books, namely Guards. It is because of Sybil and the dragons as well :D a much more key part.
Cool Middle Name

Postby Cool Middle Name » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:12 pm

deldaisy wrote:Haven't seen you around for a while Cool.... nice to see you again.

Nice to see you too Deldaisy. Reason I haven't been around is because my net is down again D: so I only have net access until I go home tomorrow.

I've missed you all :'(

And I am itching to discuss the three books I got recently.
Cool Middle Name

Postby meerkat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Welcome Back, Cool!
meerkat

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Welcome back,sorry about your net connection. :(
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby One Man Bucket » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:09 pm

One thing Carrot has over Vimes is more can be written about him. Vimes as a source of plotlines has almost been wrung dry whilst Carrot has got stuff like his views on the changes in dwarfdom, his relationship with Angua and the Elephant in the Room [his kingship].
"Give us only everything, and we will be content." ~ Jerome K Jerome
One Man Bucket

Postby mickh46 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:50 pm

deinitely Vimes for me tho i would like to see another stroy on the lines of Jingo where Fred and Nobby get to develope a bit more
"What is rule 1"
mickh46

Postby Emberella » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:18 pm

I'd happily take either/both home.
Emberella

Postby deldaisy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Emberella wrote:I'd happily take either/both home.

"Home" as in to meet the parents?

or just...................... home! :wink: :?:
deldaisy

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels