Least favourite Discworld book

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Least favourite Discworld book

Postby bikkit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Basically, What's your least favourire Discworld?

Mine has to be the Colour Of Magic. Yes, I know it is the first in the series but I couldn't get into it at all.

Sorry if this is a duplicate :D

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Monstrous Regiment. It depresses me. Personally I think COM is a lot better than Maurice and Making Money.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:34 pm

It tends to vary with me depending on which one I've just read.

I'm not a great fan of Eric, Last Continent, Sourcery, Pyramids (although I love the start of this one), Moving Pictures and Making Money.

I don't hate any of the books and I like all of them - although I'm really finding it hard to like Making Money at all. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ezekiel000 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:57 pm

My least favourites are Lords And Ladies & Carpe Jugulum.
As I'm not comfortable with mind manipulation, which is a shame as Agnes Nitt is one of my favourite characters.
Ezekiel000

Postby Trish » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Making Money requires a dual-read.
It's better the second time. Honest.

I can't quite like The Lost Continent. It seems "busy" to me, but then I have not read it in some time.

Must admit, Monstrous Regiment grew on me after the third trip.
Trish

Postby Trish » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Ezekiel000 wrote:My least favourites are Lords And Ladies & Carpe Jugulum.
As I'm not comfortable with mind manipulation, which is a shame as Agnes Nitt is one of my favourite characters.

Me, too. Or maybe that's "me, neither."
That Granny overcomes both the Queen and Magpyr and gets to keep "herself" is sort of the point.
Trish

Postby mspanners » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 pm

A Hat Full of Sky or Wintersmith.... Or Nation (I know it is not a Discworld book but still think it is rubbish!!!!). :shock:
mspanners

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Strata... just could not wrap my head around it at all. I really did try too. (looks at self oddly in the mirror) :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby WannabeAngua » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm not too keen on Good omens, Making money and Moving pictures...none of them seem to grow on me neither :?
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Oh I loved Good Omens the four Bikers of the Apocalypse did it for me following the 4 horsemen bombing down the M4 so funny. :)
Small Gods did not like that much, Colour of Magic my 1st long time ago the parody of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser in it brilliant. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I'm not a great fan of Eric, Last Continent, Sourcery, Pyramids (although I love the start of this one), Moving Pictures and Making Money.

What's with the Rincewind-ism?
I love Eric and Last Continent.
And Pyramids is in my top 5
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 am

Did anyone else read Strata? I would like to know whether it gave you a headache like the one I got trying to get into it.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:Did anyone else read Strata? I would like to know whether it gave you a headache like the one I got trying to get into it.
I did - a long time ago. I haven't re-read it though and maybe I should. Dark Side of the Sun is another that I probably need to re-read. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:47 am

There are two books that I dislike. One is Carpe Jugulum, which I feel is a rehash of Lords and Ladies. I think PTerry wanted to write the classic Vampire movie book and couldn't think of any other place to have than Lancre. It has all the same themes as L&L and situations.

Also Making Money was was rehash of Going Postal which the latter is a VERY superior book! I just hope that the next Moist book much better than MM. I was hoping the Moist would be a secondary character like William De Worde and make an appereance here and there. Since GP was such a tour de force for the stamps I felt that there was not may places for him to go. He was great in GP but almost one dimensional. He's a con man who had it coming and got what was coming and made good with it.
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby poohbcarrot » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:31 am

Hi Exp. Date, the rat

A couple of questions;

a) What does "Exp. Date, the rat" mean? I looked on the "explain your avatar" thread and didn't see it.

b) Your signature is bugging me. It says "What a wonderful!" What a wonderful WHAT?
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Next

Return to Discworld novels