Discworld MUD - your memorable moment?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld MUD - your memorable moment?

Postby Ragdoll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

I've been wondering if anyone here has ever tried the Discworld MUD?
(MUD - text based game aka the first games for pc, nothing fancy with moving pictures or noise coming from the speakers)

I played it some years ago for a while (never got far, lol!) and even today comparing with huge open-ended game worlds like Morrowind, Oblivion or Fallout 3, it's sheer size can probably still rock those games.

My most memorable moments there involved L-space (*shudders*) and DEATH:

Getting lost in L-space:
One day I decided to challenge the L-space (yup ... not a bright day) and ventured into the Library in AM. Roamed around a bit (nothing happened) then roamed some more. Until at some point I got tired of roaming around and tried for the exit. Only to end up in another library ... in another part of the Disc! Now, at that time the developers were still building and expanding the world (probably still are) and they had created this town (forgot which one) - nice and neat with shops and streets. And no exit out of the town...The gates where shut! So if I wanted to go back to AM, it was L-space attempt or .... stay stuck. I stayed. Got desperate and hailed a taxi to plead for free help (as I was broke). A slightly grumpy taxi got me back to AM, where I stayed for a good while before going anywhere remotely hazardous again XD So be warned ... take utmost care in libraries, L-space travel is not for kiddies!
("taxi" - the game had a team of high level players with teleport ability, who took shifts acting as 'taxis')

Meeting with DEATH:
One day I was outside AM questing a bit and decided to go explore - to be more exact, I wanted to locate the entry node to DEATH's domain which is said to exist in the game. Being low level I was rather squishy but thought it was doable if I stayed out of harms way. So I ran off following a dirt road towards the mountains. At some point I met some thugs on the road but hoped for the best and rushed onwards - went fine! A good deal further ahead I noticed someone was following me and trying to talk to me. Turned out to be a meeting with DEATH who wanted to know where I was going ... Turned out I had run away from my now dead body and belongings, never noticing the event of death by thugs. It was a long walk back to AM to be rezzed (no xp as dead -.-)...

So when the books describe a death and the bewilderment the deceased sometimes display, I can relate!

...Ok... that sounded a bit weird... LOL! But it was fun^^
Ragdoll

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 pm

I've never played it. I'm really not very interested in games. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby unseenu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 pm

I got into a fight with a rat on DWM when I had virtually no stats so the screen was just churning out "you hit the rat,you missed,the rat hits you,it missed you hit the rat,you missed" for literally hours.
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby spideyGirl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Is that the one that use to say "That doesn't work" all the time? Well it did to me anyway :lol:
spideyGirl

Postby Ragdoll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:16 pm

unseenu wrote:I got into a fight with a rat on DWM when I had virtually no stats so the screen was just churning out "you hit the rat,you missed,the rat hits you,it missed you hit the rat,you missed" for literally hours.

Lol ... my first fight ever in it went on like that ...
Some bypassing player stopped to look at it, then in the midst of text scrolling I caught him asking if I needed help (YES!!!!). finally disposed of the cochroach (I think it was) he told me it was usually a good idea to equip my weapon before going into a fight.... (guess who screamed D'OH behind the screen and felt silly)

@spideyGirl: Hm, probably. Never completed many quests due to that XD Ever tried to climb UU, grab the rope and jump? :P
Ragdoll

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:56 pm

I am duly intrigued. Is this an online game or something? How do you play it and if it is a very basic game will modern computers run it?
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:08 am

Here's a link to the site. :)
Tonyblack

Postby Ragdoll » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:56 am

Beautiful Dirt wrote:I am duly intrigued. Is this an online game or something? How do you play it and if it is a very basic game will modern computers run it?

Tonyblack already provided a link:)

Yes, it's playable on all computers. The site hooks you up with a java application in which the game runs. If you are getting lost easily, try looking for some of the maps on the site. Some of the players have fun just mapping the entire thing and it's scary huuge >.< I highly recommend the map of AM (from which most players start) ....without it it's easy to get lost.

Btw, avoid the Shades and don't attempt to swim the Anhk. Developers are meanies :oops:
Ragdoll

Postby Bickaxe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 am

I tried it about 7 years ago but couldn't remember all the commands....

Go west
Pick up sword
Use sword
Look
Examine wall

Is pretty much all I used, then found that there were another 50 or so commands and the game world was massive, think I travelled about 4 streets, didn't have enough money to buy anything and then died.

Never played since but I understand the game has been updated a lot since then.

And "That doesn't work" was from The first Discworld Pc game I think (where you control Rincewind....not 100% though)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Ragdoll » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:39 pm

The movement were mapped somewhat logical, I think it says the move options now for each screen. But yeah, the game is ever changing. Second time I created a char to play with, they had added a bunch of new streets in AM, and so the first thing I did was.... getting lost >.<

I think the MUD game would do tremendiously well if they added even some simple graphics (besides those ascii maps...), I for one would return if only shortly :)

Otherwise I've only played the Discworld Noir, sadly it didn't work for me in win2k, Never tried in xp, but whenever I've formatted and updated this comp to win7 I may attempt again with an emulator :P :)
Ragdoll

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Started playing...still in tutorial area.... is it normal that there's a cabbage follwoing you?
LilMaibe

Postby deldaisy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:08 pm

The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Wandered into one of them travelling shops in AM. stayed too long. Now I'm stuck in genua...
And of course, while waiting for said shop to reappear I walk around and the first shop I actually step into is one ofr adult toys...
LilMaibe

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:21 pm

LilMaibe wrote:Wandered into one of them travelling shops in AM. stayed too long. Now I'm stuck in genua...
And of course, while waiting for said shop to reappear I walk around and the first shop I actually step into is one ofr adult toys...
Give it to the little dog. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:Wandered into one of them travelling shops in AM. stayed too long. Now I'm stuck in genua...
Give it to the little dog. :wink:

I don't even have money to purchase any :x Lemme get back to AM, I'm certain they have those shops there too
LilMaibe

Next

Return to Games