Rats?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Rats?

Postby Ragdoll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 am

Heya,

for a while (ok... years >.<) I have been pondering if TP has a special relationship to rats?

I mean Death of rats and that other book where rats carry a way more friendly portrait than see otherwise in majority of books, games, etc. (something something Maurice something something.... I am terrible remembering names, sorry....)

I have tried to locate any answeron this, but without luck - maybe one of you know this?

It should be noted that I absolutely love the idea (got pet rats who sadly cannot tap dance or do dishes :cry: ) and hope to see more of Death of Rats. Hmmm ... the image of the wizards doing the Rite of AshkEnte and summons Death of Rats cracks me up :D

"Eh...... you were not the one we expected...."
"SQUEAK!"
"Ok... eh... how do we solve <problem>?"
"SQUEAKISQUEAK!"
"Uh.... anyone who speaks rat?"
Ragdoll

Postby DaveC » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:52 am

Welcome to the site Ragdoll! :)

The book you mean is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. It's a great book, very dark for a younger readers book but I loved it. :)

I agree the must be something about Pterry and rats. Maybe, as a cat lover, he's used to seeing them played with?
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:02 am

Don't forget the rats in Guards! Guards! as well. :D And all the rats in Feet of Clay - they play quite an important role.

I think Terry is fascinated by rats and how they've become sort of attached to humanity. There's a saying about how you in a city you are never very far from a rat. And we've got a culture that vilifies rats as being dirty and spreading disease. Even the word 'rat' has become very negative. If you call someone a rat, you usually mean it in a negative way.

And yet, anyone who has ever had a rat as a pet will talk of intelligent, friendly and very clean animals.

I can imagine Terry being interested in this apparent contradiction.

I don't know if he's ever had pet rats, but I do remember that he did a lot of research on them when he was writing Amazing Maurice - I don't have the book to hand, but I think there's an author's note about it in the book. :D

Terry is a cat person. He has loads of cats living at his home, so I suspect he doesn't come across too many rats - unless they are gifts from his cats. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby meerkat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 am

WELCOME Ragdoll.

Rats are intelligent creatures and to prove it, Death of Rats hanging onto the barn rafters for dear Death so that he reamins, makes me smile every mtime I read it!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:06 am

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Beautiful Dirt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:07 am

I used to have a domestic pet rat, he was a little sweetheart :P
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. H. L. Mencken
Beautiful Dirt

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:08 am

Fancy rats are fine, but the On The Street Rat is disgusting.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Yeah, they're a delight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ation.html

so are the rats still in your office :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 am

We only have mice, dear. :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 am

Are you sure. 8) :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:16 am

Yup. Seen 'em in the churchyard/gardens opposite the office though.

So much building work going on in London, and sewer replacement that the buggers are being displaced.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Ragdoll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am

TY for the welcome and the answers :)

Yeah, I know the book something something Maurice, but it was way too late for my non-native-English brain to even attempt to think the title in full... lol. The hc book's dustbinder got an image with TP and a few rats climbing all over him - which only add to the mystery^^ Although not a personal favourite of mine :o Hm... I'll try to look again, but I didn't notive any info on it back when I read it.

I've just started to reread G:G the other day, had forgotten which books that contain rattie refs, hehehe, but I'm a sucker for those where the little Bone rat appear^^ ...I should try to make a list of the things that critter manages to kick through the series.

I whole heartedly agree on rats being friendly, got a bunch of them myself. Clean - yes, they groom more through the day than we wash hands (although its rare they fret when stepping into some muck... >.<).

So yeah... knowing (tame) rats I just got more and more curious on the subject :)
Ragdoll

Postby Ragdoll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:22 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:We only have mice, dear. :lol:

Mice are cute too :o
...meaning those that stay out of my house... and near vicinity... unless "invited" :wink:
Ragdoll

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

Mice are not cute when they're pissing and pooping all over the countertop where you prepare tea, coffee and food. :evil:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Ragdoll » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 am

:o
lol - agreed. only the 'invited' :)
Ragdoll

Next

Return to Discworld novels