Most Ridiculous Bit of Casting Ever

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 am

meerkat wrote:
mspanners wrote:No the stupidest casting was David Jason as Rincewind....... so there! :lol:

Full agreement, mspanners!

I disagree. The only issue I have with David Jason playing Rincewind was that he was too damn old to play the role. Other than that, he had Rincewind's character down, or at least one interpretation. Hell, I was half-hearing Jason and half-hearing Eric Idle while reading Interesting Times.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Re: Most Ridiculous Bit of Casting Ever

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:49 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50020

Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher?

It's been confirmed.

:roll: :roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:59 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :evil:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:57 pm

NO! :shock: :shock: Are you sure????????

No!
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:http://www.slashfilm.com/tom-cruise-confirmed-one-shot/

The good news: a film based on one of the great Jack Reacher books by Lee Child is really going to happen, after years and years of development on various titles in the series that will number 16 novels when The Affair is released this fall. The bad news (perhaps): Jack Reacher, written as a six and a half-foot, sandy-haired slab of a man, will definitely be played by Tom Cruise in Christopher McQuarrie‘s One Shot

Its going to cost a fortune to produce..... All those apple crates for him to stand on. Or is the supporting cast all midgets.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby WannabeAngua » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher?
:shock:
Who had that "brilliant" idea?? That's just wrong.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby DaveC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:04 pm

Rosamund Pike is the female lead with Cruise in One Shot - why are they doing the 9th book first. I haven't read any of the so I don't know the stories or character. Is it a good jumping in point?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81148
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby WannabeAngua » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:58 pm

DaveC wrote:Rosamund Pike is the female lead with Cruise in One Shot - why are they doing the 9th book first. I haven't read any of the so I don't know the stories or character. Is it a good jumping in point?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=81148

The books don't really need to be read in succession (except maybe a couple make more sense if you do). Reachers background, and the reason why he's a drifter, is brought up in every book. One shot is not the best Reacher story in my opinion, but I guess they have their reasons for making that into a movie first.
I refuse to see the film if Cruise is playing Reacher though, that'll ruin the whole thing for me.
There were no public health laws in Ankh-Morpork. It would be like installing smoke detectors in Hell.
- Feet of clay.
WannabeAngua

Postby DaveC » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 am

Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Danny B » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm pretty sanguine about the idea of a normal to slightly-below-average height person playing Reacher. If you restrict the casting call to actors who meet with the height given to the character in the novels, you'll end up with either Steven Merchant or Wladimir Klitschko playing the part and, frankly, I don't think either of those two would nail it.

I'm far more concerned with the fact Tom Cruise hasn't played a decent part in anything since, oof, probably Magnolia. Well, a decent major role; to be fair to him, he was brilliant and hilarious as Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder.
Carpe carpio*

* Correction - Carpio diem
Danny B

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:02 pm

The author is happy with him, so whats the problem?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby MongoGutman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Never heard of Jack Reacher.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:57 am

Bouncy Castle

Postby simmonds91 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:46 am

I think David Jason was awesome as rincewind and albert, the best actor in the entire movie(s) if you ask me.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books