How did you find the Discworld

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby mspanners » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:44 am

The first time I ever read a Discworld book was when our local Library was burnt down by an Arsonist and what was left of the books was moved into a old Church until the place was repaired.

They had placed the Fantasy Books Next to the SciFi, I had read all the surviving SciFi books so I picked up the Colour of Magic...

I recall reading the book and being a little baffled why the story ended halfway through ......... eventually I twigged it was a Two parter ..... :lol:

Read the Light Fantastic, but then did not like Equal Rights so stopped reading the books.

A couple of Years ago I spotted Mort in paper back whilst on Holiday at a Market sale and was taken in by the Art work on the front ........... got the book and found out it was a cracking story too ......... then got back into the Discworld.
mspanners

Postby SandraB » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:14 pm

My Mum's cousin accidently bought two copies of CoM - I got given one of them in 1984...(Oh Om just realised I was reading this book when my age was still in single figures!)

Still not managed to get her to come to an event though
Veni Vini Volupti
SandraB

Postby Stultus Saxum » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:48 am

I was unemployed for 3 months after my four year holiday (I was given a pretty piece of paper by the nice people who ran the holiday camp, though) and a friend of mine lent me a book to pass some of the time waiting for responses to job applications. It was called the Colour of Magic. I can't now remember life pre-Pterry.
Stultus Saxum

Postby Dotsie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Stultus Saxum wrote:I can't now remember life pre-Pterry.

That's because the human brain is very good at ignoring anything that's too uncomfortable or upsetting. Like not seeing Death, or forgetting about life pre-Pratchett :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:53 pm

I have an awful habit when someone asks me a 'How did you find....' question.

I usually say. 'I just turned round and tripped over it! :wink:

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby Byakuran » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:03 pm

Some friends of my parents bought me the Fifth Elephant for the car trip from Manchester down to the South of France when we were moving house. It doesn't have any covers left, but I still read it :lol:
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 pm

I am about to read The Fifth Elephant, again. I can't remember what it's about now, long time since I last read it.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:21 pm

do u want me to tell you :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:39 pm

chris.ph wrote:do u want me to tell you :lol:

LOL, Think it would take too long Chris. :D It's not a small book. I am reading it on from Jingo, which I've just finished.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:I have an awful habit when someone asks me a 'How did you find....' question.

I usually say. 'I just turned round and tripped over it! :wink:

Cheers, Vena
In this case - I looked on top of the turtle. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Rose » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Good Omens.
I listened to a song by Queen, and my brother's best friend told me that they always remind him of Crowley. Then he recommend me the book. Since then, I can not stop reading his books! :D
Смејем се на јавним местима.
Rose

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:49 pm

I believe twas Thief of Time. Isn't that the one about the clockmaker who makes "perfection". I know Rincewind was in it, and remember thinking "this is one confusing book", but ,I liked the way the author turned a phrase and in my book addict way, I bought The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, and well, I have never bothered to remove the I.V. :twisted:

Didya see my Proper use of the negative conjunction??? Didya, didya, didya? :Beams with Pride:, then shuts off the light so my imperfections don't seem quite as obvious... there are way too many of those :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I believe twas Thief of Time. Isn't that the one about the clockmaker who makes "perfection". I know Rincewind was in it, and remember thinking "this is one confusing book", but ,I liked the way the author turned a phrase and in my book addict way, I bought The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, and well, I have never bothered to remove the I.V. :twisted:

Thief of Time is the one with the clockmaker - but Rincewind? :? I don't think so.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby BaronBreton » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:57 pm

I discovered Discworld with the first video game on PlayStation and i lovre this world.
And after... 4 years i also discovered that's a serie of book. So i start like this, with CoM.
« L'imaginaire n’est qu'une autre façon de voir la réalité. »

Le Vade-mecum, french website on The Discworld
BaronBreton

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:15 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:I believe twas Thief of Time. Isn't that the one about the clockmaker who makes "perfection". I know Rincewind was in it, and remember thinking "this is one confusing book", but ,I liked the way the author turned a phrase and in my book addict way, I bought The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, and well, I have never bothered to remove the I.V. :twisted:

Thief of Time is the one with the clockmaker - but Rincewind? :? I don't think so.

Ahh, well, I thought Rincewind had a short bit about sliding down a mountain and meeting a Yeti, but, am always happy to be corrected.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum