Monstrous Regiment --why don't I love it?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:07 am

Erm - wasn't Indira Ghandi in charge during one of the many heights of the many and varied hostilities between India and Pakistan (that's not really fair as that's always there and always will be I expect)? Ditto Golda Meir - PM during the Yom Kippur war and the Munich Olympics tragedy? Thatcher? Yeah well - she was a bitch troll from hell in some respects and made a huge mistake under advisement - plenty of politicians including and especially Churchill did the same and more rationally for less reason and worse ethics. Gender has nothing to do with the waging of wars.

I think there's something to be said about women perhaps being more averse to starting wars in the 1st place. They are after all completely pointless and ultimately never sort anything out - even if you're completely 'victorious' and have no one (or nowhere) left to fight. And lots of spouses, parents and children die for what is often no reason at all... Nobody in their right minds, male or female would ever go to war again for that reason alone. But we do - over and over, no matter what our religious teaching say or our society abhors.

Fact is humans are aggressive and retaliatory and vengeful and the cycle of war when it's fuelled by greed, anger and fear becomes self-fulfilling so it's often a question of fighting to protect your own or defending what's yours - doesn't matter the reason. Females are genetically programmed to nurture and protect their young - but that's gradually been eroded by medical progress and social movements in the last century. Women do fight and will, same as men, if there's no alternative and violence is inevitable. Maybe less willingly or for different reasons to men - all 3 of those intelligent and committed women did no better or worse that a man would have in those circs. They may have had a different perspective and motivations, but then so did Neville Chamberlain when he signed the Munich Agreement along with Hitler and others European politicians... confidently promising peace in our time?

I won't go on but here's a another quote from Chamberlain (found on Wiki)

"How horrible, fantastic it is that we should be digging trenches and trying on gas-masks here because of a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing. I am myself a man of peace from the depths of my soul".
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:55 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I think there's something to be said about women perhaps being more averse to starting wars in the 1st place. They are after all completely pointless and ultimately never sort anything out


Jan, that is probably the funniest thing you've ever posted. :lol:

I never knew you were a closet male chauvanist pig.

BTW I assume the subject "they" in the second sentence refers to the subject "women" in the first sentence.

Policemen drive cars. They are all big.
"They" surely refers to policemen, doesn't it? 8)
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:08 pm

swreader wrote:The problem with Borogravia (as far as I can tell from the book) is that (I can't give you a cite at the moment--and it's late) the country had no real ruler since the death of the husband of the Duchess years ago. Like Queen Victoria, she has gone into seclusion and left things in the hands of the men of Borogravia. It is not at all clear that even had she not chosen to do so, her word would have carried any weight in terms of the management of the country.

The women in Borogravia are in a terribly subservient position -- they have no right of inheritance. If they misbehave they can be sent to institutions like that where Wazzer, Lofty and Tonker were held. They must wear head coverings, they have no real say in the way things are done.

So the Women of this group, with the aid of socks, go off for their own various reason, as soldiers pretending to be men. But they (like the commanding officers at the fort) find that they are in great danger of beginning to think like men--all full of testosterone, which appears to inhibit brain function.

When Polly goes back into the army (when her country needs to defend itself later) she goes back as a woman, not as a man.

It's quite late, and I'm tired, but this gives you some idea of what I'm talking about. And think about some of the women who have been Presidents or Prime Ministers of various countries (Israel, India, for example). They have, on the whole, shown a great deal of intelligence and capability in dealing with the problems of their countries.


I've pondered.

I agree with your first 4 paragraphs, because that's the story of the book.

However, I don't see how those four paragraphs lead to the suggestion that "there would be fewer wars if women are in control." (BTW I think that the concept of what you say is correct, but I didn't see it in the book, so look forward to some quotes to back up your "suggestion")
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:41 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
Jan Van Quirm wrote:I think there's something to be said about women perhaps being more averse to starting wars in the 1st place. They are after all completely pointless and ultimately never sort anything out


Jan, that is probably the funniest thing you've ever posted. :lol:

I never knew you were a closet male chauvanist pig.

BTW I assume the subject "they" in the second sentence refers to the subject "women" in the first sentence.

Policemen drive cars. They are all big.
"They" surely refers to policemen, doesn't it? 8)


*Tops up testosterone levels and wonders whether to go down the pub or watch the grand prix...* :twisted:

OK give you that one smartycarrot :P I'll never post 'seriously' whilst I'm trying to concentrate on something else again - should of course have read...

(Wars) are after all completely pointless and ultimately never sort anything out

... and to be exact, now we've got that aberration straight, I will certainly admit to being a 'species-ist' in that I think the world would be a far better place all around if the human race had descended from the gorilla branch of the family tree. For starters the females outnumber the sexually active males and thus are assured of getting a decent bloke with superior genes who will actually enjoy running around looking after us, making sure we have enough banananas and helping with the child-care instead of charging off every five minutes to fight with the adolescents... :P

And if that makes me a female chauvanist pig (or even guerilla :twisted: ) then YAY! :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:18 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:
However, I don't see how those four paragraphs lead to the suggestion that "there would be fewer wars if women are in control." (BTW I think that the concept of what you say is correct, but I didn't see it in the book, so look forward to some quotes to back up your "suggestion")


I ain't disagreeing!

However;

"the females outnumber the sexually active males and thus are assured of getting a decent bloke"

No they're not :!: The males are guarenteed of getting a decent "bird" coz there are less males to go round! :lol:
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:46 pm

That's the whole point MCPcarrot - everyone wins! :P

The Alpha Male gets all the totty going - a harem in effect :P and the totty get the biggest toughest sexiest guy around... :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:54 pm

You aren't a mormon by any chance, are you?

You're advocating polygamy! :lol:

And I've never said anything even remotely MCP-ish! :)
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

re

Postby FatRat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:00 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:...or Witches Abroad? Or Pyramids? Or Eric? Or Moving Pictures? :lol:

Anyhows, I actually meant it's dark and depressing like a rainy day.


ah you mean dark in tone well personaly i think "Night Watch" is darker so is "Carpe Juglum" (SP) and "Small Gods"
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

However, The Docter informs me that the choice is not mine to make.
FatRat
New member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 am

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Somewhere in a Rwandan rainforest.

Oook ook OOK ook? (How about it, big boy?)

OOOk oook OOOK (fart) OOOK! (Give it a rest will you? I'm knackered!)

Oook OOK OOK OOK? (How come you manage to shag Donna, Trudy and Becky, but not me?)

OOK (fart) OOK OOK ook (fart) (I'm saving my energy because that nice David Attenborough's coming tomorrow)

OOK OOK OOK OOK? (Well what am I meant to do then?)

OOK (fart) ook ook OOK (Why do you think I give you all those bananas? Improvise!)

(Hi and welcome Fat Rat - Different people have different preferences. It's just my opinion. Post your 5 best TP books on the other thread and I bet they're not the same as anyone else's)
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 pm

PMSL And here was me steering clear of bananana inuendo :twisted:

poohbcarrot wrote:However;

"the females outnumber the sexually active males and thus are assured of getting a decent bloke"

No they're not :!: The males are guarenteed of getting a decent "bird" coz there are less males to go round! :lol:


Hmm that's not sexist? PC just isn't the same these days :P

As for polygamy and harems - you always know who the old man's with and where; have back-up if you have a headache/have to wash your hair/need a bloody good gossip and at least a couple of nights off a week... plus you always have someone to go shopping for shoes with and/or talk to instead of having to listen to non-stop drivel about football (any sort) or how great the new car is?

What's not to like? :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
Jan Van Quirm
Member
 
Posts: 10479
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 pm
Location: Dunheved, Kernow

Postby poohbcarrot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:13 pm

The word "bird" is in inverted commas, highlighting the fact that it's not meant to be PC, but is a joke to match your "bloke" comment. So there! :lol:
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:22 pm

I like Robin William's comedy about a female leader of a country. "With women in charge, you'd Never have war. They would just make you feel really, really bad about what you had done, and every 28 days there would be some SEVERE NEGOTIATIONS!"

:lol: :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
User avatar
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit
Member
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:25 pm
Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby kakaze » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:30 am

poohbcarrot wrote:You aren't a mormon by any chance, are you?

You're advocating polygamy! :lol:

And I've never said anything even remotely MCP-ish! :)


And what's wrong with polygamy? It's actually fairly common, and has existed in most of the world's cultures (not just the mormons) at one time or another. It's even fairly prevalent in nature.
kakaze
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

Postby poohbcarrot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:24 am

kakaze wrote:
And what's wrong with polygamy?


You'd like a whole harem of women you have "nothing in common" with, would you? :lol:
Image
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot
Member
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: Japan

Postby kakaze » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:38 am

poohbcarrot wrote:You'd like a whole harem of women you have "nothing in common" with, would you? :lol:


And who says that multiple spouses have to be less loving or have less in common with you than a single one?
kakaze
Member
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:42 am

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron