Best book for a big budget film

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:39 am

HUUUUGE budget?

I vote for all of them... the whole DW series, movie by movie, like they did with Harry Potter....

What can I say? I want them all.

I have NO idea why they want to make AU before any of a number of ther better DW books.

Pyramids could be done in lego. :lol: ... with a bit of tweeking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQsdBaXL ... re=related
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:41 am

deldaisy wrote:I have NO idea why they want to make AU before any of a number of ther better DW books.

World Cup next year?
LilMaibe

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I KNEW you were a smart one Meebs..... no matter what everyone else said I kept telling them..... "She's a smart cookie that one is!" :wink:
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Teppic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 pm

raisindot wrote:I'd vote for The Fifth Elephant.

Not just because it's my favorite DW novel, but because it offers so many different varied characters (humans, werevolves, vampires, dwarves) settings (castles, mines, gingerbread towns, Ankh Morpork. clacks towers) and action scenes. Plus a great mystery story and plenty of great dialogue.

Great shout, Fifth Elephant would make a brilliant film. Superb scenery, lots of drama, a great dramatic fight-scene ending, a good comic secondary storyline back in Ankh Morpork with Colon heading up the Watch. And I don't think, unlike Night Watch for example, you need to understand the characters' back stories to get into it.

Someone make it now!!

Thud! would be my second choice I think and Jingo might be fun also, though neither are quite as visceral or filmic as Fifth Elephant to my mind.
Teppic

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:08 pm

LilMaibe wrote:
deldaisy wrote:I have NO idea why they want to make AU before any of a number of ther better DW books.

World Cup next year?
No! Pterry does not like football, it was more about the mentality of fans/mobs in games of that ilk.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby LilMaibe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
LilMaibe wrote:

World Cup next year?
No! Pterry does not like football, it was more about the mentality of fans/mobs in games off that ilk.

I know that, you know that we all know that... But do you think SkyOne cares?
LilMaibe

Postby Penfold » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 pm

I was thinking of "Interesting Times" myself for the big battle scene at the end. :D

Spoiler wrote:And especially with a real tearjerker moment when Teach cops it!
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raisindot » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 pm

deldaisy wrote:
I have NO idea why they want to make AU before any of a number of ther better DW books.

For commercial reasons, rather than fan reasons, most likely. UA requires the least amount of knowledge of the DW milleau among non-initiates. The main characters are "new" the series, the wizards don't require a huge amount of back story, Vetinari's role can covered with two lines of expository dialogue, and you could get rid of Vimes' and DeWorde's cameos without losing too much of the main story.

Add the more universal "football" and "underclass" themes and the ongoing post-LOTR popularity of orcs, goblins and other similar beasties, and it's got broad potential. Not necessarily the book I'd choose, but I can see why Sky would choose it.
raisindot

Postby LilMaibe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:13 pm

The remaining prob with orcs and goblins (again something that spoiled UA for me): There are quite a good number of people who will (and did) go 'what's the big deal?' as the image they had/prefered of those two races is the one from the warcraft-verse.
Which means
Orcs: Proud Warrior Race with heart and mind at the right place in most cases now
Goblins: A race of little CMOT Dibblers
LilMaibe

Postby DaveC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm

LilMaibe wrote:The remaining prob with orcs and goblins (again something that spoiled UA for me): There are quite a good number of people who will (and did) go 'what's the big deal?' as the image they had/prefered of those two races is the one from the warcraft-verse.
Which means
Orcs: Proud Warrior Race with heart and mind at the right place in most cases now
Goblins: A race of little CMOT Dibblers

I don't no anything about Warcraft other than it's a game I don't want to get sucked into. My orcs and goblins are LOTR or Final Fantasy inspired in my head. :D
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby author3 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:38 pm

I Think they could make a pretty good film out of the Truth 8)
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:06 pm

author3 wrote:I Think they could make a pretty good film out of the Truth 8)
They could update it and have clacks-hacking in there. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ChristianBecker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:18 am

5th Elephant would be a fantastic choice, agreed. Thud, too.

I wonder if producers could get their head around the idea that Pratchett's books aren't just comedy, though.
I'd hate any of his thoughtful (yet funny - some people seem to have a problem with the idea) novels to be reduced to fantasy slapstick.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Willem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:15 am

I'd see Reaper Man as a big budget movie. It's got the calm moments with Bill Door opposed to frantic running around with the undead gang in the mall. Plus an epic conclusion with Death fighting New Death (now with extra flavour). Fairly stand-alone too.
Scientists are predicting the future will be much more futuristic than originally predicted
Willem

Postby author3 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:49 am

Yeah Reaper Man would be a great movie
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels