The Famous Five

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Famous Five

Postby author3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:24 pm

I know people normally reject the works of Enid Blyton these days
But has anyone else read the amazing Famous Five series
The series consists of 21 books
And features five main characters (surprise,surprise) Julian,Dick,Anne,George and Timmy the dog
I would highly recommend this series as it is most lkely my third favorite ever written ( my first being Discworld and second being Redwall )

:D :D
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Nothing wrong with Enid - she's probably most people's intro into 'original' fantasy that wasn't Bros Grimm, Perrault or Andersen after all - Noddy had talking toys and dwarfs and Wishing Trees etc etc :P

FF and the Secret Seven are very much period series nowadays and positively unPC, but then so's Narnia and Tolkien too (in that most of the baddies are 'swarthy' men, the very worst of the orcs are all black and all the Elves are so pale-skinned they shine in the dark practically...) :P As for school adventures well she didn't do a magic one, but Mallory Towers and St. Clares were pretty spiffy in their time, if a bit upper crust :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby author3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:41 pm

I tried to read the St Clares books but thought they were so boring
I don't really like the Secret Seven either
But Famous Five and Five Find-Outers are brilliant
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm

St. Clares was terribly dated even when I was a kid but it was fascinating to me to read about the children of rich parents working out 'in the colonies' shoved into boarding schools and playing lacrosse all the time - all very snooty and remote until I found out that lacrosse was originally played by Native Americans (not a million miles from Quidditch actually but without the flying of course) and I wished I could go to boarding school after that :P I suppose it was a bit like Vogue for kids in a way :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby author3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:52 pm

I used to want to go to boarding school as well until I found out I'd have to go to horrible one my dad went to so I quickly changed my mind
author3

Postby Selkie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:33 pm

I've read a few Blytons - Famous Fives, Secret Sevens, Mallory Towers but my favourites were the Adventure books - Island of Adventure, Castle of Adventure etc. I loved the Mallory Towers books until I found the Chalet School series by Elinor Brent-Dyer. I did sort of go to boarding school when I was 14 and it was nothing like what I expected from the books. Then again, this was in the 80's rather than the 30's and 40's. :wink:
Selkie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:53 pm

I had a few Blytons when I was a kid, but none of the Famous Five or Secret Seven. I did have some of her Brer Rabbit books though. I loved those. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby author3 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:52 am

I used to have to loads of her books all The Famous Five (obviously)
all The Secret Seven all The Adventure books all the Five Find-Outers
and I had one Brer Rabbit book
But when I was about 10 I idiotically gave them all away to a second hand shop
So at the moment I'm building up my old collection of Famous Five's and Five Find-Outers but I probably won't be collecting the Adventure or The Secret Seven books again :(
author3

Postby pip » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:01 am

author3 wrote:I used to have to loads of her books all The Famous Five (obviously)
all The Secret Seven all The Adventure books all the Five Find-Outers
and I had one Brer Rabbit book
But when I was about 10 I idiotically gave them all away to a second hand shop
So at the moment I'm building up my old collection of Famous Five's and Five Find-Outers but I probably won't be collecting the Adventure or The Secret Seven books again :(

My other half kept all hers and still has them now in her late twenties. Great collection to keep hold of. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 am

I loved Enid Blyton as a kid, but I don't know if youngsters these days would be able to appreciate them. I loved all the above + The Naughtiest Girl books (also boarding school + lacrosse - ripper!).

I also loved the What Katy Did series by Susan Coolidge - similar sort of stories but centred around one girl who had to overcome a serious illness.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby pip » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:19 am

My neice is reading Malory Towers at the moment and loving them so the classics diehard :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby author3 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 am

Well last year they re-released all The Famous Five books by editing it for modern children
author3

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 am

pip wrote:My neice is reading Malory Towers at the moment and loving them so the classics diehard :D

Excellent! :D

author3 wrote:Well last year they re-released all The Famous Five books by editing it for modern children

Hmmm. Not sure about this one - Enid Blyton is Enid Blyton - it doesn't need updating - if it's updated, it's not Enid Blyton!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Temple_maiden » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I read Malory Towers and the Famous Five books, and the Adventure series. And what was that circus one with a dog called Lucky? I read that too.

I did read St Clare's and it was OK, but not as good as Malory Towers.

I also read the Naughtiest Girl in the School series - I bought those recently for my 10yo daughter and she loved them.

Love the Katy Did series. When I got my iPhone I downloaded a shed-load of free books and found out there was another book called Clover - so I read that too.
. . . and I'm all like, "I wrote a book, innit," and they're all like, "Well where can we get it," and I'm all like, "Here . . ."
Temple_maiden

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Temple_maiden wrote: And what was that circus one with a dog called Lucky? I read that too.

I think it was Mr Galliano's Circus. Reddit :D

Although I had issues with the fact that the kid wants to join the circus, so his parents just pack a few things and off they go. I had trouble getting my parents to anywhere but Scarborough on holiday :roll:
Dotsie

Next

Return to Children's Books