So Which Discworld Characters Don't You Like?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Vetinari,the sneeky swine someone you definately can't trust and a bully I don't like bully's not someone you want guarding your back.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: So Which Discworld Characters Don't You Like?

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:15 pm

poohbcarrot wrote:Tony doesn't like Carrot, Tiffany doesn't like Vetinari and I don't like Colon.

So who don't you like and why?

Since I posted that I have re-read several of the books he's in & I am now revising my judgement, he isn't that bad, but Slant is horrible, deliberately I'm sure & Strappi too.
I will personal punch Annagramma, if I have anything to do with her again & she deserves it. :D :D
I like everyone else, they all have character. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby feanor » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Ayup All...

I hate CMOT Dibbler... Wrong Character, wrong books, wrong feel, wrong everything. The only thing 'Good' i can think of him, is that he sounds and looks like English Actor Michael Robbins, who played 'Arthur' in 'On the Buses'.

And Moist Von Lipwig. KILL, KILL,KILL...
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Slant... tis the whole Lawyer thingy, I agree with Chaucer and Shakespeare (whomever he really was) "First, let's kill all the lawyers."

As for Vetinari, I have a grudging respect for him and like his ways, in a way. He makes the city of A-M work, and he truly likes Leonard da Quirm. Anyone who protects and has tea with Leonard and has an elderly dog named Wuffles cannot be ALL bad. :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby superfurryandy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:57 am

I like Vetinari, if you have to have a bastard running things then you could do much worse, and he's much better than a king! :lol:

Dibbler I always imagine could be played by Phil Daniels, but I also have him down for Nobby, so...
superfurryandy

Postby Perdita X » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am

Byakuran wrote: I don't particularly like Agnes Nitt or Perdita, but I can tolerate them. There aren't any characters I loathe.

Ahem!!
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby poohbcarrot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Vetinari,the sneeky swine someone you definately can't trust and a bully I don't like bully's not someone you want guarding your back.

In Nightwatch at the fight at the end (in the past time), Vetinari waded in on behalf of Vimes and killed 4 of the baddies. I'd have him guarding my back.
"It's better to belong where you don't belong than not to belong where you used to belong,
remembering when you used to belong there"
-Sneebs
poohbcarrot

Postby Perdita X » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:57 pm

How can you not like Vetinari ? - he is just so cool - I love the way he's got Leonard of Quirm happily shut away for his own safety.

- and I love the stuff in nightwatch when he's at the guild of Assassins re he can blend into the background - and I especially love it when he tigerises Downey (the Lag!) for throwing his book on the fire
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby Trish » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 pm

I don't like the ones you're not supposed to: Dios, Vorbis, Strappi, like so.

Rincewind gets to me; he whines. He is good to the Librarian, though.

The Guild leaders, all of them, don't like any of them.

I don't particularly care for Moist, he's a too slick. 100 years ago he'd've been selling snake oil. Might as well have "stockbroker" (much worse than any lawyer) tattoed on his forehead.
You'd think Spike would have better sense....
Trish

Postby wolfiess » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:33 am

im with dotsie cant stand rincewind
i get enough exercise just pushing my luck
wolfiess

Postby Trish » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:10 pm

:mental head slap:
The Auditors. No sense of humor, no sense of style and out to get Death.
Trish

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Trish wrote::mental head slap:
The Auditors. No sense of humor, no sense of style and out to get Death.

They Are pretty bad, and nasty sneaky buggers. Tis quite cute when they pop out of existence if they say "I" or "Me" Muahahahaha :twisted:

I truly do Not like Mrs. Earwig though. She is pretentious, sneaky AND rich. I can't be having with that. :twisted: Any one or two of the three, but not all three.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Rose » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Do you know I can't think of one character that I do hate/dislike? :lol:

Offhand I'd say maybe Vorbis (Small Gods) or Dios (Pyramids)but again they're also victims in a certain light and I do kind of feel sorry for them at some point in the books - so I don't really hate them as such as they HAVE to be so horrible to make the story work :shock:

Rincewind I have to agree with Dotsie is bloody irritating at times, but cowardice is a survival instinct and he is pretty funny (and sensible too) so I don't dislike him at all.

And I must add I must add Christine, annoying, but the book would not be the same without her.
Смејем се на јавним местима.
Rose

Postby Trish » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Rose wrote:And I must add Christine, annoying, but the book would not be the same without her.

Bee-otch is probably Diamanda's cousin.
Trish

Re: So Which Discworld Characters Don't You Like?

Postby feanor » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Ayup...

Funnily enuff, since watching the TV version of 'Going Postal' (except for the awful Andrew Sachs as Mr. Groat), I absolutely Love Moist and his doppelganger Richard Coyle. when I first lost Sky TV two years ago, I really missed watching Going Postal. wonder if its on Catchup TV. Claire Foy as Adorabelle, well, is.
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum