Any Questions?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby RayScollen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:56 pm

I have only one question. But before I ask it I would like it known that I am a great Pratchett fan having read everything he has written including Dark side of the Sun. However, to my question and I hope it doesn't upset anyone .... who the hell wrote Making Money???? :!: :!: :?:
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile
RayScollen

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:15 pm

:lol: There were times when I thought the same thing Ray. I'm hoping that, as is the case with most Pratchett books, that I'll enjoy it a whole lot more on the second reading.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:45 pm

I enjoyed making money a lot more on the second read. I guess everyone has favourites, I could have sworn that The Last Continent couldn't have been written by Terry. But that is just because I don't really like that one.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:00 pm

It definitely pays to read the books and then reread them. I know a lot of people who hated Monstrous Regiment on the first reading, but on the second they really got into it. There's usually depth in Terry's books that isn't always obvious when you first read them.
Tonyblack

Postby Colin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Monstrous Regiment is the one that still gives most me problems, followed by The Last Continent ... but, in principle, I agree that second readings are essential ... followed by third, fourth, many & lots ... :wink:
Second Grumpy Old Man.
Colin
Grumpy old man

Postby Jarmara » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:50 pm

I liked Making Money. I still get the giggles when I think of Mr Fusspot buzzing across the room with his new toy.

Monstrous Regiment is not a favourite though.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Dotsie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 am

I think Making Money had a lot of brilliant ideas, just not as many jokes as usual (although Mr Fusspot with his toy was very funny, I agree). But I'll definitely have a re-read, even though I've never been able to pick up Moving Pictures and Thief of Time again. But there's bits in both books I'm glad I know about (such as procrastinators for example).
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:35 am

I think Moving Pictures suffers from the fact that it is nearly all jokes and movie references - there's not a great deal of depth to it. A joke is only funny so many times and hidden references, once you've found them, lose their attraction.

Terry's books are moving away from lots of obvious humour and more into satirical humour and that sort of humour and observation lasts. It lasts because human nature is such that they will keep setting up situations that Terry's writing seems to fit. That's because Terry's satire is about humans, not about events. I'm reading Thud! at the moment and it's truly an incredible look at human nature that I suspect will still be relevant in 300 years time in much the way that Jonathon Swift's satire is still relevant today.
Tonyblack

Postby TheMole » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:52 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Terry's books are moving away from lots of obvious humour and more into satirical humour
Few days ago, I was discussing with my Czech friends exactly this Terry´s moving; and quite a lot of them were regretting this fact - they liked his books more when they were full of obvious humour and so on. On the other side, I feel that his books are better with passing years and the simplicity of his earlier books is somehow sad; Terry´s genius is far more exhibited in his more complicated books like Hogfather, Thief of Time, etc.
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:59 pm

TheMole wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:Terry's books are moving away from lots of obvious humour and more into satirical humour
Few days ago, I was discussing with my Czech friends exactly this Terry´s moving; and quite a lot of them were regretting this fact - they liked his books more when they were full of obvious humour and so on. On the other side, I feel that his books are better with passing years and the simplicity of his earlier books is somehow sad; Terry´s genius is far more exhibited in his more complicated books like Hogfather, Thief of Time, etc.
I completely agree! I've been running a Discworld discussion group on another board for the last few years - we've been doing a book a month and reading and discussing them in order.

Unlike a lot of authors, Terry has got better as he's written more. We are discussing Thud! on Monday and the month after that Making Money. It's been a long haul, but an enjoyable one seeing the evolution of the Disc and Terry's writing. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm just grateful that Terry's books haven't become inflated ego-epics! It happened to Rowling and to Ian Rankin whose Rebus novels I loved until they became overwritten doorstops determined to fit as much of his research in as possible at the expense of plot and actual story! A testament to Terry and to his editor (who is around here somewhere no?) that however successful he's become his books are always well written and exactly the right length for the subject.

The most surprising thing is that even when he was bringing out two or three books a year for a while, they didn't suffer in quality. In fact you could argue those years were a golden age, especially for those like The Mole who prefer the quick fire comedy to the slow burn satire of the human condition.

Oh and Tony, the book a month thing - what a fab idea!
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:38 pm

Jarmara wrote:
Oh and Tony, the book a month thing - what a fab idea!
It never ceases to amaze me how different people find different things in the books and discussing them is a really good way of getting the most from the books.

Damn it - I accuse Terry of Literature! :P
Tonyblack

Postby TheMole » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:39 pm

:D Damn it - why not start such thread also on this forum?
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:05 pm

TheMole wrote::D Damn it - why not start such thread also on this forum?

:lol: It's tempting - but I've been doing this since February 2006 and a lot of the people here are from that other site - the Discworld Stamp Forum.

Maybe when we have a few more members here - we'll see. :wink:

Of course if anyone else wants to do this, I certainly don't mind.
Tonyblack

Postby RayScollen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm just grateful that Terry's books haven't become inflated ego-epics

I agree there Jarmara .... it happened to another favourite author of mine whose name rhymes with Stephen King ... he got very wordy ... so much so I started to fall asleep reading his stuff.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile
RayScollen

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels