Good Omens.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Good omens

Postby lance-constable rose » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:14 pm

I absolutely love this book apart from the fact I like almost anything by Neil Gaiman (except stardust I felt it read slightly wishy washy, not at all up to his normal standards) it was the first book to introduce me to Terry Pratchett, I think one of my favourite characters in the book apart from Crowley is DOG it's the mutt of hell :evil:
lance-constable rose

Postby chris.ph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

if my dog wasnt such a wimp hed be a good hound of hell or baskerville :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby baruch menachem » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 pm

I liked the Hemingway parody, the commentary on the index cards on the result of the Hemingway Parody, and I liked the resolution of the whole story.

Adam is a pretty smart kid.
It would be a mistake to think that they weren't also dangerous, just because reading them didn't make fireworks go off in the sky. Reading them sometimes did the more dangerous trick of making fireworks go off in the privacy of the reader's brain.
baruch menachem

Postby ColinEdwards » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Did anyone see on television (Mary, Queen of Charity Shops) - tucked into a box of 'unwanted' donations - the white cover hardback edition of Good Omens? I wonder if it got thrown out? It just goes to show that one person's recycling is someone else's treasure.

About five years ago there were several Clarecraft discworld figures including DW70 the big Great Atuin piece being sold for bargain prices in a Norwich charity shop. The shop staff couldn't understand why they were so popular, none had heard of Terry, yet he had been at a booksigning in the same street only a few months earlier!
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:31 am

ColinEdwards wrote:About five years ago there were several Clarecraft discworld figures including DW70 the big Great Atuin piece being sold for bargain prices in a Norwich charity shop. The shop staff couldn't understand why they were so popular, none had heard of Terry, yet he had been at a booksigning in the same street only a few months earlier!

Obviously the donor had good intentions, but I would say it would be better to sell on ebay & give the money to charity. Half a dozen old dears can't really be expected to get the best price for collector's items.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ColinEdwards » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 am

I should have said that the original owner had died in a motorcycle accident and their family had donated his whole Discworld collection to the charity - books, Clarecraft and Artificer pieces.

I know the major charity shops have become more media savvy recently and will sell recognised collectables on auction sites themselves.
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby Dotsie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Ah. That makes sense then.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Re: Good omens

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:44 pm

lance-constable rose wrote:I absolutely love this book apart from the fact I like almost anything by Neil Gaiman (except stardust I felt it read slightly wishy washy, not at all up to his normal standards) it was the first book to introduce me to Terry Pratchett, I think one of my favourite characters in the book apart from Crowley is DOG it's the mutt of hell :evil:

Good Omens introduced me to Terry Pratchett too.

Big Neil Gaiman fan as well.
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby superfurryandy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Good Omens introduced me to Neil Gaiman - absolutely love his stuff, especially American Gods and Neverwhere.
superfurryandy

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:38 am

ColinEdwards wrote:Did anyone see on television (Mary, Queen of Charity Shops) - tucked into a box of 'unwanted' donations - the white cover hardback edition of Good Omens? I wonder if it got thrown out? It just goes to show that one person's recycling is someone else's treasure.

About five years ago there were several Clarecraft discworld figures including DW70 the big Great Atuin piece being sold for bargain prices in a Norwich charity shop. The shop staff couldn't understand why they were so popular, none had heard of Terry, yet he had been at a booksigning in the same street only a few months earlier!
Some charity shops are getting savvy to eBay and making quite a bit for their charities by selling collectables and rare books. But, of course, they have to know that what they've got is valuable in the first place.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:16 am

I enjoyed the book quite a lot. It was my sister's Fiancee's introduction to TP. His fave line was about how Crowley "Didn't fall from Heaven as much as slowly crawled his way down" ... at least I think that is pretty close to the line. :mutters to self about cleaning this mess of a log cabin up.:

I think the chapter where he is driving down the M-2? with fire coming from the wheels since they had lost the rubber along the way, the picture is in my head, even if the exact words elude me. Too funny! I remember the car falling apart as he finally stopped at the military facility. :lol: :twisted:
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby superfurryandy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 am

I luvs the alien polis...

"Is this your planet, sir?" :lol:

Oh, and Crowley sauntered, if memory serves :wink:

EDIT: from the DRAMATIS PERSONAE - "An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards" :D
superfurryandy

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:28 am

superfurryandy wrote:I luvs the alien polis...

"Is this your planet, sir?" :lol:

Oh, and Crowley sauntered, if memory serves :wink:

EDIT: from the DRAMATIS PERSONAE - "An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards" :D

WOOT! Give That Man His Choice of Fave Beverage!! Now I will be able to remember it. TY TY!
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Witch from Lancre » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:50 pm

Gillingham did get his hands onto this fabulous book but every year there was a reason he didn't make the film. Thankfully, after all these wasted years TP has it back in his hands and he was dropping hints about it being made a few years ago when he got it back but I haven't heard a word about this since.

This report was in 2002 http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/gofact.htm

Does anybody know what happened to the big production of Wee Free Men that was being made in the US. The film was cast and ready to start being filmed but along came all the strikes and again I haven't heard any more about it.

The cast has now vanished from this 2006 site http://www.themovieinsider.com/m3264/wee-free-men/
Witch from Lancre

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:32 pm

Pterry did not have a happy time with the USA film industry so now he has very little to do with them, ie one film studio optioned MORT and wated to take out DEATH as a main charactor due to the Bible belt minority. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books