Books - How to improve them?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:37 pm

I could manage the Ritz, though travelling to work from there would be a bit difficult!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 pm

I could manage the Ritz, though travelling to work from there would be a bit difficult!

.... In a chaffeur driven limosine????? Would you prefer I hire you your won personal London Double Decker to drive you to work Bouncy?
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:19 pm

The screen on a kindle is very much like a real life book page in terms of how it looks, so if you are someone who can't read off a computer screen for any big length of time, its a great alternative. An IPad etc... will have a bright computer screen.

Now for me the ultimate would be one that could switch mode, so if I wanted to look at images or video, websites etc and in colour.. I could use the normal mode but if I wanted to read a book (for pleasure or for study) I could use the Kindle mode. :D

(i know i'm a have my cake and eat it kind of spidey).
spideyGirl

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 pm

deldaisy wrote:So if some don't support this or that.... why would you not just buy something like an ipad and download each programme so you can use any e-reading programme.

Oooo listen to you, Miss Moneybags! I'll get Mr Dotsie an iPad when I win the lottery :lol:

The difference is about 300 quid :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Doughnut Jimmy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Like Spidey said the kindle screen is very different, you can read it outside unlike a computer style screen. It is also smaller than an Ipad and so a bit easier to carry with you

I'm all for books being smaller and lighter, but why not just use a smaller typeface and thinner paper like they used to do - the edition of LOTR in three volumes that my parents had you could easily fit one of the books into the back pocket of a pair of jeans but my newish copies are twice as thick. I've got a book that looks to be a similar size to that flipbook but normal way up, text is small but still perfectly legible, paper's thin but the book's old so its obvioulsly lasted well.

There's a simple way to make books smaller but no the publishers are always trying to make them bigger so we'll pay more for them :evil:
"when the gods made sheep they must've left their brains in their other coat"
Doughnut Jimmy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:02 pm

By the way, Del.

On a Kindle you can also change the orientation, ie read with the device in landscape mode.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 pm

You can also throw a kindle much further than a book and get a satisfying cracking noise :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Temper temper!!

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 pm

no i do it even in a good mood :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby poohcarrot » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:15 am

Tonyblack wrote:I wonder how Japanese books in this format would work. :?

My wife says they'd be pants! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:08 am

Dotsie wrote:
deldaisy wrote:So if some don't support this or that.... why would you not just buy something like an ipad and download each programme so you can use any e-reading programme.

Oooo listen to you, Miss Moneybags! I'll get Mr Dotsie an iPad when I win the lottery :lol:

The difference is about 300 quid :wink:

:shock: :shock: okkkkkkaaaaaaaay. Tell mr Dotsie to hang in there.... Bouncy and I are both counting on winning a lottery or two. :wink: trouble is she is getting all uppity about going to work every day instead of getting plastered in the Presedential Suite at the Ritz when I wiln $30 million.

Ummmm see i don't LIKE the "i" things (ipad OR iphone) so have never priced them.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 am

poohcarrot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:I wonder how Japanese books in this format would work. :?

My wife says they'd be pants! :D

Oh I dunno.... I have amused myself by staring at a nice ar... pair of pants when I haven't had a book to read on the bus.
deldaisy

Re: Books - How to improve them?

Postby Tris » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I saw this new idea on a thread on the CA board and really dislike the idea.

But what do you think?

:?

I don't like the idea very much, but it would be good for someone who travels a lot. I like my books facing the right way.
Tris

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books