Books - How to improve them?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090701/Kindle_270x285.jpg

Del.

Just about where the righthand thumb is, there's a clicky button and that's how you turn the page.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
*droooooooooooooools*

Do you have to keep them in a hard case or something. They look delicate.
Last edited by deldaisy on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Why are you drooling into a bucket, dear?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

She's geeking out.

Actually, one of my friends has a Kindle.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 pm

deldaisy wrote:http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090701/Kindle_270x285.jpg

Ahhhh.

Actually, that one looks different to the one I've got. Keyboard looks slightly larger.

I found out the other week that there are games on a Kindle.

Basic Tic-Tac-Toe and Battleships.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 pm

YES! I am geeking out!!!!!

So why would you use a Kindle instead of something like an ipad that you could do other things on?

(Actually my library is having a Kindle Night tomorrow to teach and explain all things Kindle to members; they will be having a facility to put books on your Kindle from the library just like you borrow books from them). I can't go. :(

Fess up... are they hugely expensive? And do you then spend a fortune in accessories like chargers and covers and spare batteries and replaceable screen covers and 3D glasses.....
deldaisy

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:01 pm

deldaisy wrote:Fess up... are they hugely expensive? And do you then spend a fortune in accessories like chargers and covers and spare batteries and replaceable screen covers and 3D glasses.....

According to this website, they range from anything from $139 to $379 Australian. Not sure what the bona fides of the site are, though.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 pm

You know how I hate Kindles.... :lol:

It's a book with thin paper and print - if it was printed the usual way it would still have the same amount of print on it and as many pages because the characters take up exactly the same amount of space on the paper no matter how it's oriented? Note that it has margins and header and footer space - same as the usual book format? :roll: How is it not taking up the same amount of space as the same text printed the traditional way? You're not reading it any differently are you? Just holding it differently....? :P

Maybe it'd be best suited to Danish fairy tales - like the Emperor's New Clothes perhaps? :lol:

It's a gimmick and it's nothing 'new', just a different layout approach that may be more suitable for people who like lying on their bellies and consequentlly don't need a hand free to have a drink when they're reading... :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby BatrickPatrick » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm

It'll probably never catch on...even sensible things don't...People are resistant to change :P

I think I prefer the usual way up.
Fus Ro Dah!
BatrickPatrick

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:You know how I hate Kindles.... :lol:

It's a book with thin paper and print - if it was printed the usual way it would still have the same amount of print on it and as many pages because the characters take up exactly the same amount of space on the paper no matter how it's oriented? Note that it has margins and header and footer space - same as the usual book format? :roll: How is it not taking up the same amount of space as the same text printed the traditional way? You're not reading it any differently are you? Just holding it differently....? :P

Maybe it'd be best suited to Danish fairy tales - like the Emperor's New Clothes perhaps? :lol:

It's a gimmick and it's nothing 'new', just a different layout approach that may be more suitable for people who like lying on their bellies and consequentlly don't need a hand free to have a drink when they're reading... :wink:

On under the doona on thier sides. :lol: I can't lie on my back and hold a book up for hours.

Sadly it wont catch on.
deldaisy

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm

deldaisy wrote:(Actually my library is having a Kindle Night tomorrow to teach and explain all things Kindle to members; they will be having a facility to put books on your Kindle from the library just like you borrow books from them). I can't go. :(

Is it definitely kindle they will be using? Libraries in the UK and US seem to all use overdrive, which isn't supported by kindle, so there's no point in me getting one for Mr Dotsie (well, that and the fact that I've spent all my money on sweets). Although I did here that they will be able to use kindle libraries in the US at some point in the year, so you never know. I'm going to hang on - paper isn't that much of an inconvenience.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Coming soon: Kindle 4.

http://www.squidoo.com/kindle4

I'll get the bucket for Del. :wink:

Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

So if some don't support this or that.... why would you not just buy something like an ipad and download each programme so you can use any e-reading programme.

.....and yes I drooled Bouncy. I heard someone mention a backlight one day. Can you not read it in the dark then?

....and yes it is Kindle Dots. Since we are connected to the library on the net (don't actually have to GO to the library to go to the library; I go because its an outing for the kid as it has so much more for kids with groups etc) I presume they would just send you the file and you could download it to any reader. No idea how this is working.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, if I'd won the £161million Euro Lotto last night, I'd have sent you a Kindle! :wink:

Bouncy Castle

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Well, if I'd won the £161million Euro Lotto last night, I'd have sent you a Kindle! :wink:

:shock: :shock: which reminds me..... I should google the lotto results here.

Nah......... I like to leave it until I see the lead news story being "Mystery Lotto Winner Still Not Claimed $30 million!"... then I get the ticket scanned.

Bouncy if I have won Lotto I will fly over and bring back your empty Kindle box personally :D ... though IF we are to "have a visit" you MAY have to stay at the Ritz with me for a week or two (your place being so small and all).... if that wouldn't put you out too much. After all I am NOT driving back and forth to your place time after time for afternoon tea!
deldaisy

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books