Marcus Sedgwick

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Marcus Sedgwick

Postby ColinEdwards » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:15 am

Marcus Sedgwick is one of the great un-read, has some terrific books already in publication and across such a broad range of subject matter that you really should give his work a try.

He works for a children's publisher by day, and many of his books are in the children's sections but I am 48 and love the children's books just as much as his older material. When I buy a book I the shop will always tell me that there are just as many older readers buying as there are children.

I would thoroughly recommend the Book of Dead Days/Dark Flight Down stories, a complete fantasy escape; and Blood Red, Snow White - a fusion of Russian folk tales and the doomed love story of author Arthur Ransome and his Russian mistress during the Revolution.

Any other fans out there?
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 am

I have to confess that he's not a name I've come across, Colin. However, I do enjoy well written, so-called children's stories and I'll certainly keep an eye open for his books on my tours of the charity shops.

Thanks for the recomendation. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby ColinEdwards » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:45 pm

Just bought Marcus's latest book - Flood and Fang - a series of short stories for children aged 8+, and a perfect way of getting your youngsters into fantasy writing at an early age.

He is such a talent but somehow slips under the radar, it can sometimes be a struggle to find him on the shelves next to masses of Darren Shan...
When much is taken, something is returned.
ColinEdwards

Return to Non-Discworld books