Books - How to improve them?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Books - How to improve them?

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 am

I saw this new idea on a thread on the CA board and really dislike the idea.

But what do you think?

:?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Re: Books - How to improve them?

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 am

Tonyblack wrote:I saw this new idea on a thread on the CA board and really dislike the idea.

But what do you think?

:?

Hmmm...no. Not a good idea. Space, yes, but there's something about a decent book. Plus, our hands' orientation are more suited to a horizontally-oriented book.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am

I wonder how Japanese books in this format would work. :?
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am

Great idea for someone who is travelling, but then again so is a Kindle!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby meerkat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:23 am

Great if you have very little/no shelf space. Prefer my books right way up. Why change what is already good?
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 am

Gimmick maybe. :lol:

The eerie thing is, in the CA discussion I stated that it reminded of UltraWord from Jasper Fforde's Well of Lost Plots. And then I happened to go on Jasper's website and I saw this:

:roll:
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

Tonyblack wrote:I wonder how Japanese books in this format would work. :?

Oh, thank you very much. My brain is just about to short out trying to think about how that would work. :shock:

*BANG!*

ERROR 256: LOGIC UNIT IN NEED OF REPLACING. OPEN UP SKULL, REPLACE CIRCUIT, AND REBOOT. STEELCAP, FOR PREFERENCE.

Hello, Patrician. It's a nice elephant for a golf sandwich basket full of tanning.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

Have a copy of Minority Report from the nineties done in a similar format. It has only the one story rather than the complete short story book and is done in slightly crazy fonts but its more of an interesting Gimmick than an improvement. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 am

I'm guessing these books are printed on Rizla paper in an effort to make them smaller. I'll bet they won't cost less. :P
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am

Tonyblack wrote:I'm guessing these books are printed on Rizla paper in an effort to make them smaller. I'll bet they won't cost less. :P

Maybe we can use them to make cigarettes, reefers, and other miscellaney of intoxicating carcinogen inhalation. Didn't Cohen do that?

Quatermass

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:40 am

Tonyblack wrote:Gimmick maybe. :lol:

The eerie thing is, in the CA discussion I stated that it reminded of UltraWord from Jasper Fforde's Well of Lost Plots. And then I happened to go on Jasper's website and I saw this:

:roll:

YES!

If only I could get books like this!

I do my reading lying down in bed on my side and with hardbacks there is always the horror of holding the book a cetain way for THAT page or I have to turn over all the time :lol:

WIth a book like this I could just read it comfortably.

*Lying on my side under the doona..... scoot book down little to read top page (cover of he book would support it onthe bed)... next (bottom) page and I am still comfortable.... flip page.*

LOVE IT.
deldaisy

Postby Dotsie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am

Not keen myself. I don't see an advantage (although del obviously likes it). Is it the kindle for technophobes?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 am

I've seen it in some bookshops overhere, don't see the point :roll:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby deldaisy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am

Dotsie wrote:Not keen myself. I don't see an advantage (although del obviously likes it). Is it the kindle for technophobes?

Haven't used a kindle.... :( but I presume you scroll with your finger... would rather flip a page after two full pages. Then I only have to move my eyes not my finger and my eyes. (WHAT? Its bloody freezing here at the moment!!! Exposing my little hand to turn a page is a hard call right now.)

A kindle would be PERFECT for reading in bed huh? I was going to download it to my phone (after talking to a g/f of my daughters who is iphone/kindle mad) but my screen is smaller than hers.
deldaisy

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:24 pm

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090701/Kindle_270x285.jpg

Del.

Just about where the righthand thumb is, there's a clicky button and that's how you turn the page.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Next

Return to Non-Discworld books