Ankh - Morpork

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Ankh - Morpork

Postby TheMole » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:00 pm

:wink: Let´s talk about this unique city!
Do you like it? Do you NOT like it? Why? What is your favourite place in Ankh-Morpork? Which guild is your favourite? Where would you like to live in A-M? What do you think about its current ruler (mind you, he really IS a bit of tyrant, thank you very much!)? What would you like to know about A-M? And so on and so on...

I simply love Ankh-Morpork. It´s really wonderful city and I surely would like to live there. I would like to live somewhere around the Dolly Sisters, and my favourite place is the Fools Guild (to quote Magrat - "It must be a happy life, making people laugh").... and on the other side, I don´t like the idea of Assassins Guild..I don´t mind Thieves Guild (it´s quite an intelligent idea and it has its logic), but to allow existence of guild of murderers - well I just don´t like it.
What about you and "the Great Wahoonie"?
Mr Brown goes off to town on the 8:21
But he comes home each evening and he’s ready with his gun
TheMole

Postby Popcap » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:34 pm

i feel its a city that really have developed over the series :D which is really nice

it feels less "if you are walking on the streets of ankh-morpork.. your default state are robbed and infact.. not on the street at all, but thrown in the river" now... which is a lill bad, it had a more unique atmosphere before :P
Popcap

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Developed is right! Almost beyond recognition. The city we see in Colour of Magic is very different from that in Making Money. WE seem to have gone from Medieval, through Elizabethan and Restoration to Regency and Victorian periods over the series while still keeping several aspects of each. So the Shakespearian theatre with all its traditions is running alongside an opera house and a movie theatre.

You can't blame the History Monks for all of that! :lol:

Fashions in clothing seem to vary constantly and the whole place is a mish-mash of styles and attitudes. :D

But somehow it works!
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:56 pm

I'd like to add that I consider the city to be a charcter in its own rights. Some of the books are 'Witch' books, some are Rincewind or The Watch or Death books, but some are Ankh-Morpork books.
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:18 am

Tonyblack wrote:some are Ankh-Morpork books.

That's true. Almost all the Watch books for a start.

I think A-M would be a nice place to visit, but I'm a Lancre girl :wink:
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:23 am

Granny is a Lancre girl and she did very well when she visited there. :wink:

I was talking to Sharlene (swreader) last night about this thread and we commented that what A-M lacked was witches. That's why Granny was so popular when she visited (apparently on several occassions).
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:56 am

I was really impressed with Granny in A-M in Maskerade (more so than Equal Rites). I think I was as shocked as Nanny Ogg when she revealed that she knew exactly what the Seamstresses' Guild was.

I'd like to live on Treacle Mine Road. Only a short walk to Gimlet's Hole Food Delicatessen, but hopefully far enough so as not actually smell those cooking rats.
Jinx

Postby chris.ph » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 pm

i like the way the way the drum changes from broken to mended every couple of am books, also the way vimes can find his way around with thin shoes on.blindfolded or not
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby TheMole » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I was talking to Sharlene (swreader) last night about this thread and we commented that what A-M lacked was witches.

I think Ankh-Morpork HAS witches of its own, for example Rosie Palm or Vetinari´s aunt (is she still alive? I´m not sure); but I know what you mean: cities have wizards, country has witches.
TheMole

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:11 pm

City witches don't wear the pointy hat. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby TheMole » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:11 pm

:D and country wizards´ staffs have no knob on the end.
TheMole

Postby snapcase72 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Here's a good description of the city of cities:

No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpock. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses anymore, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.

(Eric)
Stercus, stercus, stercus, moriturus sum!
snapcase72

Postby TheMole » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 pm

And see - in parallel history of "Jingo", it could be easily destroyed by Klatch...
TheMole

Postby BlackAssassin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:33 am

I love the Assassins Guild! I think the level of education they provide is second to none.....

The patrician is a smart, clever man, but also such a tyrant! I think his time is running out though - he must be getting old...

If I was to live in AM I dont know wear I would want to live!!! so many different places... def NOT the shades though! :)
You can't stop stupid
BlackAssassin

Postby sgt-Angua » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 am

I think I'd like to work in the watch ..... and as for where to live theres too many places to choose..... although may be not Mrs Cakes! would be too confusing to have a conversation.

Have to try a curry at the curry gardens though :D
"The only person who shouts 'FORWARD Brave men!' Is the one with the only truly arrowproof armour on behind a very large rock!"
sgt-Angua

Next

Return to The Broken Drum