Johnny books

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Johnny books

Postby author3 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 am

There doesn't seem to be a Johnny thread so here it is
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby pip » Fri May 13, 2011 8:17 am

Good stuff Author. I enjoyed these books with Only you can save Mankind as my favourite of the three. Jonny and the Bomb is a good Time travel book though and a good use of the whole trouser leg of time concept :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 13, 2011 10:25 am

I wonder if Only You Can Save Mankind is a little dated now. It seems to me that sort of computer game is very 'old school' now. :? Maybe I'm wrong - I enjoyed all three books. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri May 13, 2011 10:31 am

Oddly enough i don't think its dated in the sense that its a computer game drawing him in. If it was a film it would have dated awfully but not as much in book form. Maybe the younger members will disagree :roll:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Penfold » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 am

pip wrote:Oddly enough i don't think its dated in the sense that its a computer game drawing him in. If it was a film it would have dated awfully but not as much in book form. Maybe the younger members will disagree :roll:

I believe it (Jonny and the Bomb) was a tv series from the BBC back in 2006 but I only caught part of it. Did anyone else watch it?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am

Penfold wrote:
pip wrote:Oddly enough i don't think its dated in the sense that its a computer game drawing him in. If it was a film it would have dated awfully but not as much in book form. Maybe the younger members will disagree :roll:

I believe it (Jonny and the Bomb) was a tv series from the BBC back in 2006 but I only caught part of it. Did anyone else watch it?
I believe ramtopsman has it on his YouTube site. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby pip » Fri May 13, 2011 11:15 am

Penfold wrote:

But i was talking about Only you can save mankind which wasn't made . I have Johnny and the Bomb on DVD and quite like it. :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri May 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Only You Can Save Mankind was made into a musical a few years back and apparently was quite good. How they did it I have no idea, big space invaders maybe :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby author3 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:50 pm

I quite liked Johnny and the bomb I'd love to see it
I never really got into Only you can Save Mankind but I read that when I was 11
so I might give it a try again
Do you know the Buffy fan?The Buffy fan,the Buffy fan.Do you know the Buffy fan?The one who is extremely obsessed.
author3

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:18 am

Well I've recently reread Only You Can Save Mankind and Johnny and the Dead. I think that the last time I read them was when they first came out. It was quite a revelation to read them again. :D

Only You Can Save Mankind seems to have a subplot about how killing on computer games has changed the way we look at real warfare. The story seems to be taking place during Operation Desert Storm. I can still remember watching the war on CNN and the so-called Smart Bombs that we were told could destroy a building with pin-point accuracy. Watching the war unfold on TV seemed to have a certain unreal feel about it - like a computer game.

Johnny and the Dead is partly an anti-religion book (surprise :lol: ). The dead are staying close to their graves waiting for the Day of Judgement instead of experiencing life - or the afterlife. There are some familiar themes in there that a Discworld reader would certainly recognise. The ultimate message, that cemeteries are for the living, not the dead, is a good and well thought out one.

I don't think I've given the stories away. If you haven't read the Johnny books, they are well worth a look. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 am

Are you reading Interesting Times now, Tony? :wink:
HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:09 am

Funny you should say that, Sjoerd ... :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby DaveC » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:11 am

Will be reading them after I've finished Good Omens and Carpet People. :)
Adventures of a Film Geek - My Blog

Check out my short film!

"Dude, this thing claims I have mail. Dude, now I'm reading it."
This Is...
DaveC

Postby Tiffany » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 am

Penfold wrote:

Yes, I saw it. It was good. I have all the books & the audio c/d of Johnny & the Bomb.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:33 am

It was not a bad little series on tv. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Children's Books