What Are You Reading 2

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby pip » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:41 pm

RJH wrote:I finished sourcery and now deciding either to read "Wyrd Sisters" or "The Hunt for the Red October", I can't decided :?

See if you can find a bin or toilet roll holder that will fit The Hunt for Red October and go enjoy Wyrd Sisters :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Damn, those were difficult times. Did it rain on you, or was there plumbing/a lake/a burst bottle of Evian involved?

It was a huge, glass, vase of flowers on my desk at work, that had got cracked, and I'd not noticed.

It slowly deposited it's liquid contents all over 2 files, my fax machine and my Men At Arms.

I was most miffed.

Ah, I remember now. Bummer.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Wooo hooo.

New Bill Bryson out. :D
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby AgnesOgg » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Wooo hooo.

New Bill Bryson out. :D

Bill bryson is quite new to me, but I think I migth be in love :shock:
no, it`s a hippopotamus!
AgnesOgg

Postby meerkat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 am

Bill Bryson's latest is Brill!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:54 pm

As you probably noticed I don't post in here on my own behalf which is mainly the fault of Messrs Tolkien and Pratchett as their output now isn't too fast and furious and they're the sort of author you can read over and over of course. :wink: So these days it takes something special for me to start with a new author or series and, as I strive to write my own trash, anything that gets published by a friend has huge interest for me and so, at long last I gave myself a pre-birthday treat and went mad on Amazon and bought 2 more volumes of the History of Middle Earth (Lost Tales 1 & 2) which is really for reference more than pleasure TBH AND - Perian's Journey by Alistair McGechie and one Sue Bridgwater better known on DreamWorlds to those of you who post there as well as Saranna... :)

Now I had started the book a few years ago when Sueranna kindly let me have a soft copy, but I only got so far before some 'disaster' hit and I stopped for one reason or another. But I'd been looking at a 'proper' copy on Amazon for some time and being a visual magpie the cover artwork started to intrigue me and so I decided to buy and it duly arrived on my doorstep and this time I gobbled it all up in about 5 days of late night indulgence.

Anyway - I thoroughly enjoyed it and so I've reviewed it on Amazon and you can see that HERE (may be a gap of 48 hours for public viewing whilst they check I haven't been profane - as if! :twisted: ). That link seems to work when I'm logged out and the review's there so enjoy! :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:02 pm

I've just re-read Science of Discworld I and III and am now reading II.

The science is dead interesting! :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby deldaisy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:22 pm

I have some novels I am dying to get into (including the book Q gave me) but as I can't get my eyes or brain around a full story right now I am still reading short stories (which I love as an art form anyway so all good there) and chapter driven books.

Biographies seem to fit that genre.... "This part of my life... that part of my life" etc.

Biographies are a dodgy thing to read. I find that people who are still "in business" (and who we might be interested in as topical), tend to write to make themselves seems sane enough to continue running thier business or career, so I usually prefer dead peoples biographies (and scientists and engineers in particular).

BUT.... I am reading the Biography of Ruby Wax. "How do you want me" .... OMG! What a foul foul childhood that poor woman had. Both of her parents were absolute nutters who should have been locked up for abuse on every level. Very confronting and emotional.... but amazingly open. She pulls no punches. I find myself saying to her "Nooooooooo! Don't go back home to visit!!!!!"

I AM trying to read fiction and "happy stuff" right now... but as gruelling as this is... there is the optimism that she survived her childhood (and well into her adulthood) and went on to make a good life mainly due to the amazing people who came into her life later.
deldaisy

Postby poohcarrot » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Always liked Ruby wax. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:36 pm

ive just started chasing the moon by a lee martinez
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Let me know how it is :wink:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:09 pm

no probs dotsie :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Joolz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Just about to start The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby meerkat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:21 am

The Unadulterated Cat. Great fun! And so true!
Just a meerkat from The Effing Forest
meerkat

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:27 am

meerkat wrote:The Unadulterated Cat. Great fun! And so true!

I loved that and the send up of the Campaign for Real Ale literature :)

Far too many people these days have grown used to boring, mass-produced cats, which may bounce with health and nourishing vitamins but aren't a patch on the good old cats you used to get. The Campaign for Real Cats wants to change all that by helping people recognise Real Cats when they see them.
Hence this book.
The Campaign for Real Cats is against fizzy keg cats.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books