The worst witch

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The worst witch

Postby unseenu » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:50 am

Did anyone else read the worst witch series by Jill Murphy as a child?

This was probably my first encounter with classic broomstick riding,pointy hat wearing witches,maybe even my first fantasy book of any kind.

I hear that its been getting a lot of bad press in reviews lately because of its similarity to Harry Potter,there are people who are convinced it is a cheap rip off of Rowling when in actual fact the first book was written in the 1970's,therefore it predates Harry Potter by quite a long while.

Someone else who has been accused of ripping off HP is TP himself.Apparently somebody asked him whether he stole the idea of unseen university from Hogwarts to which he replied, "Yes,of course I used a time machine", :lol: :lol:
Proof that L-Space exists in this universe

Fact 1:Heavier things distort time and space more
Fact 2:A page with ink on it is heavier than an unprinted page
Conclusion:A book distorts time and space more than blank papers
unseenu

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: The worst witch

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 am

unseenu wrote:Did anyone else read the worst witch series by Jill Murphy as a child?This was probably my first encounter with classic broomstick riding,pointy hat wearing witches,maybe even my first fantasy book of any kind.

I hear that its been getting a lot of bad press in reviews lately because of its similarity to Harry Potter,there are people who are convinced it is a cheap rip off of Rowling when in actual fact the first book was written in the 1970's,therefore it predates Harry Potter by quite a long while.

Someone else who has been accused of ripping off HP is TP himself.Apparently somebody asked him whether he stole the idea of unseen university from Hogwarts to which he replied, "Yes,of course I used a time machine", :lol: :lol:

It was also a children's TV series. I watched it & thought it very good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_Witch_(TV_series)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:32 pm

I think there were actually two series, Tiff. One back in the 80s and one just a few years back. A lot of the newer one was filmed at Castell Coch in Cardiff. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Think I only saw the first series, Tony, it would have been on when my kids were young. :D

PS Thanks for deleting my double post, if it was you. LOL It wouldn't let me do it. Ruddy p.c. wouldn't let me post it at first, then posted twice.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 pm

You are welcome! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Kittycat1977 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 am

I read the books and watched the first series on tv as a child. I used to love both of them although I couldn't tell you about much of the detail now.
Never stand behind a cow when it is sneezing.
Kittycat1977

Postby deldaisy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:39 pm

My girls loved the Worst Witch series. And yeah similar to Harry Potter in so many ways.
The Collective Brain: The synoptic serendipity that comes when interesting thoughts from interesting and interested people get together. And the whole is always more than the sum of its parts.
deldaisy

Postby Kneazle1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I loved the Worst Witch books although there were only three when I was reading them! I still have my extremely 'well loved' copies plus the fourth one in the series bought when I was much older :oops: I watched the first TV Series too.

Someone tried to tell me that Harry Potter was a rip off of Ursula Le Guin's Sparrowhawk books once :roll: Still have my copies of those too..
Kneazle1

Re:

Postby =Tamar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 am

Kneazle1 wrote:I loved the Worst Witch books [...] Someone tried to tell me that Harry Potter was a rip off of Ursula Le Guin's Sparrowhawk books once :roll:

People who haven't been reading fantasy for the last 60+ years are not aware of the long, long tradition of magic schools.
I have a list of magic schools in fantasy that goes back to the fifteenth century.
=Tamar

Postby Dotsie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:14 am

The first Harry Potter book is very similar to the earlier book' The Secret of Platform 11 1/2' by Eva Ibbotson. She has said she is flattered (to be fair, HP is a better book).

Unseen University is a pune on the Invisible College, later the Royal Society. But it's more like Oxbridge than a magical school anyway!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 pm

I remember the Worst witch being on TV, I've never read the books though, I thought the Harry Potter books were ace :D
Alanz

Postby octarinefire » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 pm

I remember the Worst Witch film with Diana Rigg and Tim Curry from the 1980s ... loved it as a child and thought the TV series from more recent years wasn't as good but since it's been a long, long time since I've seen the film the chances are it may not be as good as I remember lol
octarinefire

Postby Freebie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Ooh, yes! My sister and I had a few of the books when we were younger. I enjoyed them - good fun concept! It does sadden me those people accusing her off ripping off J.K. Rowling as has been mentioned! Very ignorant - you only need to look at the details inside the book to see some are from the '70s; otherwise online sites give you the original published year information!

I used to watch the late '90s CITV series. That was pretty good and they cast Mildred very well. Some of the characters didn't seem to fit so well, like her friend, Maud, who was too bossy or sarcastic.
Freebie

Postby Slantaholic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Read the books, watched some of the TV series...
The only thing I remember from the TV series is that big blonde strapping girl, yet from the books, I remember most of them, including Ms Snape, "Miss Hardbroom".
Slantaholic

Next

Return to Children's Books