The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld

Postby Ogg » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Am I the only one to think that this was a massive disappointment? Simply a few bits and pieces from each book for the supposed casual viewer and chosen by a blind Stephen Briggs...I honestly feel I could've done better selecting the passages.
Opinions are sought!
"Without music, life would be a mistake" Nietzsche
Ogg

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

:oops: I have a copy that Sharlene got me, but I haven't read it. As you say it's just a collection of bits and pieces. But it'll sit nicely unread in my collection - unless I decide to read it one day. :lol:

Has anyone read the Discworld Companion? I've read it several times and always have it near to hand. It's getting really tatty now, but I have a first edition of it in hardback and a spare paperback that doesn't get read. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 pm

I got that book for Christmas, hardback, must admit I've not looked at it properly.

I have two copies of The Discworld Companion, hard 2003 & paper back 1994, again I am ashamed to say, I haven't looked at either yet. Got both from a car boot sale. :D
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:22 pm

The Companions are really good for just reading and there's some great stuff in there - extra to what's in the books even. :wink:
Tonyblack

Postby Straw Walker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:The Companions are really good for just reading and there's some great stuff in there - extra to what's in the books even. :wink:

It is also an invaluable reference source when you've just ventured onto this site. I've read and enjoyed nearly all of Sir Terry's books but my memory for names and faces often fails me. :? :)
I think the answer lies in the soil, ooo arrr!
Straw Walker

Postby Tiffany » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Straw Walker, welcome to the forum. :)
I'm not good at remembering characters names either. I must read the Companion book, am reading Maskerade at present. For the second time. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:24 pm

Tiffany wrote:Hi Straw Walker, welcome to the forum. :)
I'm not good at remembering characters names either. I must read the Companion book, am reading Maskerade at present. For the second time. :)
Interesting points about Maskerade. Walter Plinge wears a beret so does Frank Spencer. Michael Crawford who played Frank Spencer also played the Phantom in the original casting of Phantom of the Opera.

I went to see Phantom with a friend who hadn't read Maskerade. She warned me not to give away spoilers for the book. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:46 pm

:lol: I think that's why I loved Maskerade so much - did Pterry do it on purpose do you think? :P

Hi there Straw Walker :D
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:37 pm

When I was sitting there watching Phantom I couldn't help thinking that Terry had been to see it and got... ideas. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Tiffany » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:18 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Tiffany wrote:Hi Straw Walker, welcome to the forum. :)
Interesting points about Maskerade. Walter Plinge wears a beret so does Frank Spencer. Michael Crawford who played Frank Spencer also played the Phantom in the original casting of Phantom of the Opera.

I went to see Phantom with a friend who hadn't read Maskerade. She warned me not to give away spoilers for the book. :lol:

I saw Phantom as well in London. Have seen the film too. I am having a good laugh, over Greebo. Maskerade is now one of my favourte TP books. :)
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Byakuran » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Personally, I wasn't disappointed in Wit and Wisdom - my parents bought it for me just as I was leaving on holiday, and taking an armful of books wasn't really very practical :D

Also, I haven't read every book in the series yet, so I quite enjoyed reading new passages. It's a shame it doesn't give an overview of the books as well though, so that you can really tell if you want to buy it.
DRINK COFFEE - Do stupid things faster with more energy!
Byakuran

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Yes, that would have been a good idea, just a quick synopsis on each book.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Thu May 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Having already read most of the books... I was actually pretty happy with it. Twas like looking through another persons eyes at the books, and as he said in the Introduction

"In producing this book,I have not tried to extract every single gag and witty exchange from the series. Threre are too many, and to do that, I might just as well have tied a set of the novels up with a string and added a tag: "The Complete Wit of Pratchett."
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby james.a.vivian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 am

As I am an extremely person to shop for (so I've been told), most people will buy me some sort of Pratchett item I received wit and wisdom for my B'day it's not a bad read for a short trip. The DW companion is a great book mine is always at hand it' bout 15 yrs old.
"You gotta Door, You gotta GYM."
james.a.vivian

Postby FirstoftheGangtoDie » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:04 am

I enjoyed wit and wisdom...it's kind of a "toilet book" as it were...just there for picking up and flicking through for a minute, or reading in the bath or something. Although it did miss out some classics that I thought for sure should be there.
...I swear I'm too young to feel this old
FirstoftheGangtoDie

Return to Latest books