Terry Needs Your Votes.

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby feanor » Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Ayup WWD and Jan...

I think you'll find that that compilation is indeed the first 5 of the Christopher Tolkien Books...

I think there were meant to be around 12 or so and i bought the first 5 as first edition hardcovers, then acquired nos 7,8, and 10. I also have the 'Letters of JRRT' too. after the first 5 or 6 from Allen Unwin, they transferred to Harpercollins, and it's there i lost them. Dunno how much they'd cost now... They are indeed 'Literary' books and not story extensions as such, and as such will disappoint most of their purchasers, who will think they're getting more story...

As with Pterry's stories, i'm amazed how Hungry (Capital 'H' notice ) people all seem to be for this GOOD story... they're NOT just for trippy Hippy-types. and I don't mean to offend anyone with that moniker...

We REALLY DO need the Hobbit on Celluloid, 'cos it's the Start of it all, but I need to see Feanor, Hurin, Turin, Fingolfin, Finarfin, Melian, Galadriel, Maglor and MELKOR and Ungoliant too ! plus Sauron in his pre-horrible state too. And i don't think i will in my Lifetime at all... That 'Middle Earth' DVD Boxset really is one for the future and Technology...
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue May 26, 2009 11:35 pm

Feanor - you seen the new fan-film yet? http://www.thehuntforgollum.com Not too shabby and in some ways more atmospheric than the Trilogy, it's certainly a brave attempt in the way of 'filling in the gaps' fanfic.
They have another one out in the Autumn which is http://www.bornofhope.com which is Aragorn's parents backstory

We (on the Dreams forum) have wondered if anyone would dare try to make the Silmarillion (from the Death of the Trees to the end of the War of Wrath perhaps) but I dread a Hollywood-oriented screenplay treatment for that - the Hobbit (the original story) I think will do quite well 'cos that's quite a pacey, 'accessible' story with lots of interesting and funny bits and a cracking battle at the end (or perhaps they may leave that for the next episode.

The 2nd film Hobbit film on the White Council v the Necromancer is more on dodgy ground I fear though I'm quite interested to see how they'll adapt it as it's hardly touched at all in The Hobbit, nor indeed LotR - hardly more than a few sentences. Still at least they can't do any really whopping great fudges with canon like they did with tons of Elves at Helm's Deep and cutting the Scouring out altogether :roll:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed May 27, 2009 12:19 am

The Gollum film was good, at least I think so I look forward to the next one. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby feanor » Wed May 27, 2009 6:12 am

Ayup Jan...

No, I haven't I'm afraid. The only 'Fan Film' I've seen pertains to 'Metal Gear Solid' the 80s Videogame. I shall give it a go...

I know what you mean with Hollywood. Unfortunately, films seem to have to be cut to 90 mins max to satisfy the attention span of some of the more Temporarily challenged mortals on the planet who frequent Cinemas... It seems the 3 hour film is an English Phenomenon... we must have it genetically in our makeup...

And yes, soo much would be missed out. but the potential for Special Effects could be phenomenal ! just Imagine a rendering of the gate of night with the Sun and Moon changing shift as it were in the Heavens ! WOW ! Ah Bugger ! the screenplays rolling out in my head !
I'm glad that all my problems have now Resolved down to where my next Banana is coming from...
feanor

Postby feanor » Wed May 27, 2009 6:29 am

Ayup...

Forgot to mention... I think The Hobbit should be a 2 hour or so film, giving it its 'natural' length' missing out all the 'In the dungeons of the Necromancer' and hunting Gollum stuff- although the dungeons are mentioned at Imladris when Gandalf produces the key for Thorin... The audiences need to be shown the Hobbits story, not just be given a tie-in to the Trilogy...

BTW Mods sorry for going so far off-topic. can this bitof the thread be split off please? i don't wanna cause any offence.
Thanks in advance.
feanor

Postby Dotsie » Wed May 27, 2009 8:55 am

No-ones offended - but you really can start your own thread if you want to! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed May 27, 2009 11:53 am

I did hint... :oops:

kind of... :oops: :oops:

in some thread or other.... :oops: :oops: :twisted:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby feanor » Wed May 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I did hint... :oops:

kind of... :oops: :oops:

in some thread or other.... :oops: :oops: :twisted:

Ayup Jan...

D'oh !
feanor

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 27, 2009 5:32 pm

Done.

Terry Pratchett (47.0%, 3,303 Votes)
JRR Tolkien (21.0%, 1,449 Votes)
JK Rowling (9.0%, 616 Votes)
Stephen Donaldson (9.0%, 613 Votes)
George RR Martin (6.0%, 415 Votes)
CS Lewis (6.0%, 400 Votes)
Robert Jordan (5.0%, 342 Votes)
David Gemmell (3.0%, 219 Votes)
Robin Hobb (3.0%, 194 Votes)
Steven Erikson (2.0%, 155 Votes)
Philip Pullman (2.0%, 147 Votes)
Ursula Le Guin (1.0%, 100 Votes)
Guy Gavriel Kay (1.0%, 79 Votes)
Terry Goodkind (1.0%, 48 Votes)

Yay! He's in the lead!! 8)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed May 27, 2009 5:41 pm

I've posted the link to the poll on POV.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby superfurryandy » Thu May 28, 2009 1:47 am

Cheers for the PM, Bounce - have voted and passed the link on :)
superfurryandy

Postby superfurryandy » Thu May 28, 2009 1:48 am

Oh, and Rowling has said she doesn't write fantasy.

So, wizards are real :?
superfurryandy

Postby feanor » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 am

Ayup All...

I have to say i'm pleased to see Stephen Donaldson where he is...

Covenant's fantastic, and Giants and Ravers notwithstanding, the first 6 books anyways, IMO, has great potential cinematically. But i don't think modern audiences will 'warm' to an Anti-Hero who rapes a girl in the first say, twenty-five minutes of the film. But there is, like DW and Middle Earth, such a potential... It's just that the Psychological rationale behind Covenants actions may be a little difficult to convey to a general Audience.
feanor

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu May 28, 2009 10:44 am

Yep - Donaldson's a powerful writer, but very much not to everyone's tastes. I've read to Book 5 of the Illearth series and then stopped because it all started to get too intense and unremittingly melodramatic for me. The 1st three were very good though, but not the sort of thing that's easily transferable to the big screen. The rape scene is kind of 'justified' in the book (as Covenant's leprosy meant he was completely overwhelmed physically and emotionally with the return of his sense of touch to all his erm... extremities :oops: ) but a cinema audience most likely would not pick on that - which is why books are far better than films but of course require more effort...
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu May 28, 2009 2:32 pm

superfurryandy wrote:Cheers for the PM, Bounce - have voted and passed the link on :)

Good lad! 8)

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett