Photos of bugs and other things people might be phobic about

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:40 pm

And here I was thinking this was Boys Own here Tiff.

Pic of moth on my sleeve ......... "CLICK!"

ARGHHH!!!!!! ARGHHHH!!! GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF! ITS FLYING! KILL IT! KILL IT! AARGH!
deldaisy

Postby Watchman44 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Chris wrote:
Watchman44 wrote:Great pictures Chris, BTW I am a Chris as well.......

And a Sealed Knot member?

Yes, Sgt Major James Carr regt. of foote, Armie of Parliament.

There are great photo opps and I have posted some on here, but I have not yet met anyone phobic about re enactment so none to post in this tread. :wink:
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Postby turbochicken » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Wow Chris, Excellent photos mate, thanks for sharing :D
turbochicken

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:41 pm

turbochicken wrote:Wow Chris, Excellent photos mate, thanks for sharing :D

Cheers. I know this isn't a photography site but we almost all possess a camera and so it's something anyone can contribute to. So I've shown you mine now you show me yours! :D
Chris

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Hang on a minute.... I just READ the title of his thread....

Are we talking pictures here? Or wouldn't that be pics off the web? Because if you ARE phobic about something... you wouldn't BE getting close the them with a camera RIGHT? :?

"OMG! ITS ON THE LENSE! IT IN MY HAIR! ARRGHHHH! *runs around screaming* INS IN MY CLOTHES!!! ARRGHHH!"

Even pics off the web... my sister was SO phobic (and in the real meaning of the word) about spiders she would have nightmares after just SEEING a pic in a book.

And and and and BUGS... sure.... but WHAT "other things" are you lot going to start putting pics up of? And why would anyone come here if they ARE phobic..... SOOOOO CONFUSED.

So maybe this is more "Lets freak out the whimps in here" thread. :roll: :D
deldaisy

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Apparently Penfold does not like spiders and another member does not like butterflies & moths so this thread is here so they don't freak out! Mind you having said that Penfold has just got his hands on thesort of lens you just HAVE to point at spiders :lol:
Chris

Postby deldaisy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh so keep the freaky close ups of spiders in one spot then? Good idea.

Penners taking pics of spiders? Ha .... haha ..... hahahahahahaha HAHAHAHHHHAHHAAA!!!!

You HAVE looked at his avatar haven't you.
deldaisy

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm

deldaisy wrote:Ohhhhhhhhhhhh so keep the freaky close ups of spiders in one spot then? Good idea.

Penners taking pics of spiders? Ha .... haha ..... hahahahahahaha HAHAHAHHHHAHHAAA!!!!

You HAVE looked at his avatar haven't you.

I have seen his avatar :lol:

Thing is the lens his has bought means he's going to find spiders whether he likes it or not! :mrgreen:
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Where are we going mummy/daddy?

Chris

Postby spideyGirl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:47 pm

My boy would scream like a girl at that one, he's scared of snails. is that a real phobia? :shock:

EDIT: Myxophobia- Fear of slime. (Blennophobia) but that's not quite right as he doesn't mind slugs
spideyGirl

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Try cochleahphobia which oddly includes a fear of crabs :?
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Penfold » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:43 pm

Chris wrote:Apparently Penfold does not like spiders and another member does not like butterflies & moths so this thread is here so they don't freak out! Mind you having said that Penfold has just got his hands on thesort of lens you just HAVE to point at spiders :lol:

That's just not going to happen Chris. :lol:

Super photos, by the way, how do you get your images to look so sharp? I've tried, but most of mine seem to look a bit on the 'soft' side, especially after I've tried cropping. Image Granted I haven't had any opportunity to try it out on insects yet, so any advice from an experienced hand would be welcome.
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby The Mad Collector » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 am

Penfold wrote:Super photos, by the way, how do you get your images to look so sharp? I've tried, but most of mine seem to look a bit on the 'soft' side, especially after I've tried cropping. Image Granted I haven't had any opportunity to try it out on insects yet, so any advice from an experienced hand would be welcome.
Didn't Chris say he has a ring flash, that is the best way of delivering the light you need for sharp macro shots and a good one shouldn't cost you much more than £250
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:48 am

The knack of sharpness is the 'unsharp mask' (UM). ALL digital images need a little post processing to improve sharpness. The camera has to take a compromise on it's .jpg images and it's on the soft side.

I use Photoshop Elements 8 for post processing at the moment. The Unsharp Mask option dialog box looks like this.

It has three variables, Amount (A), Radius(R) and Threshold(T).

When you take picture you need to process A COPY!!! as follows.

If you intend to reduce the size of the image for display I have found the following process works quite well.

Set A=75%, R=1 to 1.5 and T=1

Apply to the image.

Resize the image.

Apply UM again, using the same values.

When you save the image there is little point in saving at a quality level greater than '7'. You get a much bigger file for no discernible quality improvement on screen.

Experiment with the ART values to see what suits you.

If you are processing to print the above values do not apply.

A more detailed description is given here http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... p-mask.htm
Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:50 am

The Mad Collector wrote:
Penfold wrote:Super photos, by the way, how do you get your images to look so sharp? I've tried, but most of mine seem to look a bit on the 'soft' side, especially after I've tried cropping. Image Granted I haven't had any opportunity to try it out on insects yet, so any advice from an experienced hand would be welcome.
Didn't Chris say he has a ring flash, that is the best way of delivering the light you need for sharp macro shots and a good one shouldn't cost you much more than £250

The ring flash I use cost £70 :)
Chris

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum