Can you remember when you first met TP?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I do indeed! :D

I've got a photo somewhere of the troll. :)

I heard a story about one event where so many people turned up dressed as Rincewind that Terry made them have a race to see who was the real one. :lol:

What a great idea to make them race!!
Chris

Postby poohcarrot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:05 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:Pooh should actually have completed his story as "I went up to him, shook his hand and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you sir." and then handed him a pack of dried squid :)

That was the second time when I gave him the squid.
The third time was with Dotsie and his lost phone.
Then when I was getting the same books as Mad signed.
Then when I got my photo taken with him by Rob.
Lastly when he gave me my maskerade prize on stage. :D
"Disliking Carrot would be like kicking a puppy."
"You kicked a puppy," Lobsang said accusingly.
poohcarrot

Postby Quatermass » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:14 pm

I first met him at a book signing at Angus and Robertson in Brisbane. I got The Science of Discworld signed. I still have it. "It Spins! Terry Pratchett". And I met him a second time at Pulp Fiction (a speculative fiction and crime fiction bookshop in Brisbane), where I got a further three books signed: The Colour of Magic, Reaper Man, and The Science of Discworld II. :) Still have those too.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 pm

I met him just once, the only time that I'm aware that he came to Boston in the 21st century. We had communicating via email a little bit (he had responded to a couple of my postings on the old Alt.Pratchett newsgroup).

When I found out he was coming here for a talk and book signing I suggested doing an interview for our local paper to promote it, which he agreed to as long as I arranged it with his agent. Well, the agent never responded to my inquiry and it never happened. Still, I was happy to have the chance to meet him at the event. As far as I know, he's never been back, although he's supposed to be at the U.S. DW convention in a few weeks.
raisindot

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:11 pm

raisindot wrote:although he's supposed to be at the U.S. DW convention in a few weeks.

They are going to show his latest documentary about assisted suicide at that convention (it will be the US premiere) and Terry will do a Q&A session afterwards
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

raisindot wrote:I met him just once, the only time that I'm aware that he came to Boston in the 21st century. We had communicating via email a little bit (he had responded to a couple of my postings on the old Alt.Pratchett newsgroup).

When I found out he was coming here for a talk and book signing I suggested doing an interview for our local paper to promote it, which he agreed to as long as I arranged it with his agent. Well, the agent never responded to my inquiry and it never happened. Still, I was happy to have the chance to meet him at the event. As far as I know, he's never been back, although he's supposed to be at the U.S. DW convention in a few weeks.
Was that at the Norwest WorldCon in 2004 where he was a GOH, Raisin. :?:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:23 pm

Just had a think about that, it was at our British FantasyCon in 85 at the Thistle Hotel in Birmingham at the bar on the Friday night, and on the Saturday morning early at breakfast I was sitting at the table myself and Terry asked if he could join me, but that was before he became mega famous he was there just as a fan. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 am

WWD wrote:Just had a think about that, it was at our British FantasyCon in 85 at the Thistle Hotel in Birmingham at the bar on the Friday night, and on the Saturday morning early at breakfast I was sitting at the table myself and Terry asked if he could join me, but that was before he became mega famous he was there just as a fan. :)

Too cool for words WWD! :wink:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Alrik Fassbauer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:06 am

In my case, it was late in the 90s (the last years of the 90s, to be exact) in a bookshop in Cologne, Germany.

Since I always ask for the date to be part of the book signing, I can quote it here :

The entry says : "11·48, 17-10-97" - This could be indeed late at night, since the event was late and the queue long. ;) I still remember how my feet were aching ... ;)

Since then I'm waiting for another book signing in Cologne ... I don't remember any one, or I have simply missed it during the last ten years.

One unfortunate thing was that in one school of my own town (which is located close to Cologne) there was once shown an adapted play of a Discworld novel - I don't remember which one - and Mr. Pratchett was there. And I learned about it 2 or 3 days later ...
Alrik Fassbauer

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 am

Jan Van Quirm wrote:
WWD wrote:Just had a think about that, it was at our British FantasyCon in 85 at the Thistle Hotel in Birmingham at the bar on the Friday night, and on the Saturday morning early at breakfast I was sitting at the table myself and Terry asked if he could join me, but that was before he became mega famous he was there just as a fan. :)

Too cool for words WWD! :wink:
And the nice thing is he still says hello. :)
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Roid » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:56 am

For me it was at a book signing - I had to remind myself that with hundreds of people to get through, he wouldn't want a long chat!
Roid

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Roid wrote:For me it was at a book signing - I had to remind myself that with hundreds of people to get through, he wouldn't want a long chat!
:lol: Sometimes you don't have a choice. If Terry wants to talk to you, he'll talk for quite a while.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raisindot » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Was that at the Norwest WorldCon in 2004 where he was a GOH, Raisin. :?:

I saw him in Boston. He may have also been appearing at some kind of convention in town but the event I attended was an isolated talk and book signing. It probably was 2004. I get this vague recollection that Monstrous Regiment was his current book.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:27 pm

Monstrous Regiment was published in 2003 I think.

This would have been 2nd-6th Sept 04 at Noreascon 4 I was there, and he had just published Once More with Footnotes by the NESFA Press it's a pity the DW con was not held in Boston this year it would have been a lot easier to get to.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Perestroika » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 am

I'll never forget it, though I do forget the date, it was in november when he was promoting Going Postal in Australia.

anyway, I was almost at the back of this booksigning line and it was finally my turn and Terry looked at me, my white cane and the book in my hands and he asked me if I could actually read it, and how much I could see.

I am quite sure I did the automatic glare I do when people ask me this kind of stuff, but I said something like 'normall I wouldn't actually answer questions like that...but...since you're you, I'll tell you instead of giving you the horrible sarcasm.'

so I told him and he said he would have been perfectly fine with the sarcasm and in fact he was curious. so I told him the top 5 rude questions I get asked by sighted people and my usual sarcastic replies.

he was highly amused...

he also insisted on signing my Going Postal with my full first name.
Perestroika

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett