Thief of Time

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Thief of Time

Postby sparky » Thu May 21, 2009 9:19 pm

:D I'm about a third of the way through this book and am finding it one of Sir Terry's more complicated books to follow because of all the different threads (that surely must all come together at the end) that have to be followed. But it is still very funny ! I do love Jeremy Clockson ! Does anyone else agree ?
sparky

Postby Tonyblack » Fri May 22, 2009 12:51 am

Hi there sparky! :D

Thief of Time is a really good book - and yes, things do become clearer - and also very exciting. :wink:

I think you may be in for a surprise with Jeremy in the end. It is a complicated book, but well worth the effort.

Welcome to the site. :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am

What Tony said - and Lu Tze rocks :D

Welcome to the forum Sparky
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Dotsie » Fri May 22, 2009 10:31 am

Welcome Sparky :)

I've only read Thief of Time once. It wasn't one of my favourites, but I think I'll have another go.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Perdita X » Fri May 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Thief of time is my favourite Susan book
It's made of apples, well... mostly apples
Perdita X

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri May 22, 2009 6:33 pm

The threads Do eventually come together. It is the one where Susan COMES INTO HER OWN, lol, realizing that Death is Really her grandfather and tries desperatly to deny and ignore it.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tiffany » Fri May 22, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Sparky :) Welcome to the forum.
I like Susan.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby chris.ph » Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 pm

welcome to the site sparky :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby swreader » Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 am

Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit wrote:The threads Do eventually come together. It is the one where Susan COMES INTO HER OWN, lol, realizing that Death is Really her grandfather and tries desperatly to deny and ignore it.

I agree that the threads in this book do eventually come together--and there are multiple threads in this book. I would identify the four major threads as the Lobsang/LuTze thread, the Jeremy/Igor thread, the Susan thread and the DEATH thread but they intertwine and one could make a case for still more threads.

However, I'm totally puzzled by your last sentence, and have finally decided that you are probably confusing Susan in Soul Music (her first appearance and function as a substitute Death)and Susan in Thief of Time. But your statement that this is when she realizes that Death really is her grandfather makes no sense--she always has known that he was her grandfather (from the time she went to visit him as a small child and thought all grandfathers had bony knees and wore black robes). She resents, to some extent, the fact that DEATH expects her to "drop everything" and come help him in this book, But she certainly doesn't try to deny their special relationship nor does his use of her to do something he cannot do come as a surprise to her.

And by the way, Sparky, Welcome to the Board. :D I hope you enjoy this book--it's one of my favorites :) , but it certainly takes more than one reading.
swreader

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm

I suppose it comes from my last reading of Hogfather. She has vague memories of visiting him as a young child and remembers her parents stopped taking her there before they died, because they thought it would twist her point of view... let me find the reference. Well, first I must find the blasted book hehe, I keep re-reading them and setting them in unexpected places...thyroid issues make ones' memory a bit wonky.

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Sat May 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Oh bugger it. I am going to look later. My spouse is fixing the brakes with my sons and it is getting to be too much to deal with.

Later tho... :twisted:

Thief of Time

Postby sparky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 pm

Thank you for all your replies - and yes, this book was well worth the effort and the twist with Jeremy was very good ! will be one of the books I will re-read in the future. Am in the middle of The Colour of Magic at the moment for a bit of light relief :D I do love the books with the three witches in them, especially Nanny Ogg ! :D
sparky

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:03 pm

My favourite discworld book so far.

I'm reading them in order & have just finished this one.

It's very funny, I also love the character of Lu-Tze, but most of all I love the ideas behind this one.
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Postby swreader » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:15 pm

Foul ole Ron wrote:My favourite discworld book so far.

It's very funny, I also love the character of Lu-Tze, but most of all I love the ideas behind this one.

Welcome to the forum, Ron! Are you going on to the Last Hero, or skipping to Nightwatch? I really found the former a bit tiresome, though the illustrations are interesting. But Nightwatch is a real tour de force and gives you more of Lu-Tze. It also connects nicely with Thief of Time.
swreader

Postby Foul ole Ron » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:13 pm

swreader wrote:
Foul ole Ron wrote:My favourite discworld book so far.

Welcome to the forum, Ron! Are you going on to the Last Hero, or skipping to Nightwatch? I really found the former a bit tiresome, though the illustrations are interesting. But Nightwatch is a real tour de force and gives you more of Lu-Tze. It also connects nicely with Thief of Time.

Good question.

I have the Last Hero as an audiobook only so I'm not going to appreciate the illustrations obviously.

Does it stand up in it's own right?

I do like the character of Cohen the Barbarian very much & enjoyed Interesting Times a lot but I see it's short novel rather than the usual length.

I may listen to the audiobook in the car & leave Nightwatch to read.
Buggrit
Foul ole Ron

Next

Return to Discworld novels